1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I trade my Hypermotard S for 999S?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by extremachn1, Sep 23, 2011.

?

What should I do???

Poll closed Oct 23, 2011.
  1. Keep my Hypermotard!

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Trade Hyper for 999s!

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Do something else (Please say what)!!!

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Sep 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    So I posted my Hypermotard S for sale on Craigslist. This guy called and wants to trade his Black 2004 999S ( 13,500 miles) with Termi full exhaust and a bunch of carbon goodies for my Red 2008 Hypermotard S (7500 miles) that has Ducati racing cams, exhaust, and ecu as well as heated grips, open cam belts, light weight flywheel, and a few other bits.

It would be a straight up trade. I am definatly more of a superbike guy and he is more of a naked bike kinda guy.

What do you guys think???

2. Sep 23, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    Mtek

Mtek Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    TRD S/C Toytec OME 3", TRD Ivan Stewarts, 285 Yokohama
    I had an '08 Hyper S, sold it and got an 848. I would never go back to the Hyper again unless it was an extra bike for city use. Hypers are fun and all, particularly the ease at lofting the front wheel, but I much prefer the planted chassis of a superbike. I also didn't like the wind blast on teh Hyper at anything over 70mph plus. 999s are getting long in the tooth, and they are a love it or hate it style, but I would rather ride one than a Hyper. Everyone is diff though, you may not like it as much, hopefully you can try it out.

3. Sep 23, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    neoflex

neoflex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Depends on what you would prefer and if you feel it is a fair trade as it's a tough call without seeing the bikes but if it were me I would tell the guy to either take a hike or he needs to throw in a grand or two. I know I would much rather the newer Hyper over the older 999S. KBB for an 2004 in good cond. is just a tick over 5Gs which I am sure the Hyper can pull at least 3K more on a private sale. I would sell the Hyper and buy something else that you may prefer rather than settle for a trade because it was the only current offer and than regret a week or two later. Just this guys opinion though.

4. Sep 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    The 999 may also drop further in value since the new 1199 superbike is being released this fall, making it 2 generations old.

5. Sep 23, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I am not so worried about being 2 generations old. I already have plenty of NEWER generation bikes and honestly my favorite bike to ride is my 2002 998. This would bridge the gap between my 998S and my 1198S Corse.

I agree, the hyper is fun around town but is horrible for longer rides. I could never quite get comfortable on the hyper.

6. Sep 23, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    bradw369

bradw369 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vero Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad 4X4
    Trade it!!! Wish I could afford the maintenance on a Ducati. Instead I ride a 09 Busa

7. Sep 23, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yea, Duc maint can get a bit expensive. I will agree with that.

8. Sep 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    No. Take it in and trade for a Ducati Streetfighter!

9. Sep 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    neoflex

Member:
    Sounds like your mind may already be made.

10. Sep 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Not a fan of the streetfighter. I test rode it on Angeles crest when I bought my MV Agusta. Looks cool, just not my style. I am a sport bike guy. Always have been. I have tried various other bikes and types but I always come back to the sport bikes.

11. Sep 25, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    So I went ahead and did the trade. I got there and the bike was amazingly immaculate. It a 2005 999S with Termognini performance exhaust and ECU, OZ lightweight racing wheels, slipper clutch, and some carbon and billet goodies. Plus a full set of sharkskinz race bodywork never used and all of the stock items except rims.

The guy had 4 Ducati monsters in his garage and you could tell he takes great care of them but rides them as well. Full service record in a nice binder, all parts reciepts in the binder, etc. EVERYTHING. He is more of a standard/naked bike kinda guy and I am more of a sport bike kinda guy so it was a good even trade for both of us.

We both went on a test ride for about 30 minutes and pulled back into his drive way grinning and laughing. We looked at each other and were like "Well, I guess thats a done deal then!"

999s_7cbe524bdfb340cf634269e7d83d39d91f02793e.jpg
    999s2_cd00661e60777528a71fd88a11613cc94d4ade61.jpg
    999s1_556a091840b61cdb0825b187908d0d0bc18f1e24.jpg
    999s3_788bd5094b48dd8062a678fd161b830be6f04e10.jpg
    999sexhaust_368f2deb173fe7167123b5453599d75def5d29a6.jpg
    999sozrims_8149d37d9f170e68afb3652fc3d31ec91c6f89f6.jpg

More pics to follow soon.

12. Sep 25, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Another women to bring me pain, pleasure, joy, and heartbreak. I shall call her BIBIANA: Italian and Spanish form of Roman Latin Viviana, meaning "alive."

13. Sep 27, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    TurboYota

TurboYota Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4
    Nice bike, but I would have kept the motard considering the other toys you already have listed.

14. Sep 27, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    neoflex

Member:
    He could always convert the WR.:D

15. Sep 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    nice bike......... good deal on the trade.......

16. Sep 27, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I had a motard before when I lived in Japan. It was a lot of fun and a blast on the go-kart tracks but its just not my style. I love the feel and sound of a well built superbike.

I have had several Japanese superbikes and I think if your riding/track days (especially on a budget) you cant beat them. They handle well, are solid, and are cheap(er) to fix and repair. If you want something absolutly razors edge and surgical get the BMW. But if you want a bike with an amazing personality and pedigree you have to go with the Italian bikes.

None of my italian bikes are perfect, infact some days they downright piss me off but there is just something about the sound and feel of them. They each have little quirks though.

The 998s is a fire breathing beast, pure tourqe off idle and will flip you over on your ass if your not careful. But the chassis and engine when dialed in are amazing especially in the twisties. Plus the design is a thing of beauty. It has its issues as well... It will burn my leg at freeway speed in a blizzard because of the exhaust pipe, it has a wierd starting routine that must be followed when its cold or it wont start, it like to randomly backfire into the airbox(shop and I have investigated and cant find any reason) and it eats batteries like candy.

The 1198s is the refined younger sister. It is a snooty high class model/stripper. It has all the right curves, moves the right way, and knows how to whisper in your ear to shell out more cash. The way she hums between your legs is a thing of beauty but if not treated right and kept on a pedistal she will jump up and bite you. Now, she does have a dirty side and loves to be flogged and rode hard.

The MV F4 312RR is the 998's smoking hot sister. She is born of the same father (same designer as the 916/996/998) and while maybe not as smooth as the 998 has the best rear end in the game and when you stretch her legs they go on for miles. She is the best handling bike straight out of the box I have ever ridden and she keeps asking for more and faster. Now, she overheats at the drop of a hat, is crazy expensive to keep up, and she threatens to blow up at any moment if you dont talk sweet to her and stroke her just right.

The 999s is the second cousin of all of them with a horribly ugly face but a smoking body. So far the transmission and on/off throttle unlike anything I have ever ridden. Its amazing how smooth and surgical the transmission is and the on/off throttle transition is butter smooth. No sudden hit or delay, just smooth power and once it hits midrange it really opens up and is a screamer. Out of the 3 v-twins I would say its the best engine/transmission out of them. Now, it has its quirks as well... On hot days it throws a check engine light that is fixed by opening the fuel fill cap (to much pressure build up), sometimes when turning the bike on it wont recognize that its in neutral (no light, wont crank) and I have to turn the key off and back on. Sometimes it jsut wont crank, no reason, just wont crank so I turn the key off and back on. And the battery is pretty much dead every morning so I need to replace it. Its also the most uncomfortable of the 4 bikes. Longest reach and most uncomfortable seat. The seat I can fix, the reach I will get used to.

Yes I know it sounds like I am describing women with my bikes because I sort of am. Think about it... The shape of them looking from the top resembles a women, a good looking one is a thing of beauty, they know how to seduce you, once you climb on for a ride your in heaven, and if not treated right they will jump up and bite you HARD leaving you broken and in pain but at the end of it all you always come back to her or get a new one and do it all over again. They both cost more and take up more of our time than any one thing should but in reality we dont really mind. If you take good care of her and treat her right she will bring years of smiles to your face...

Sounds like a a bike and a women to me... The only differance is you can turn the bike off and the bike dosent get jelouse if you throw your leg over your neighbors bike. LoL

17. Sep 27, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    kogary

kogary Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2005 Indigo Ink AC, V6, auto, 4x4
    Heated drivers seat, JVC HU, Sound Ordinance compact 8" sub under passenger seat, Morimoto projectors/D25 HIDs, LED lit cupholder mod
    Dude, nice choice! I would have done the same thing. The 749 and 999 styling are incredible (yes, I'm one of those 'Love It' guys).

Have fun with with the new bike!

(and post some nice daytime pics too!!!)

:)

18. Sep 27, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yea, I will get some up here soon. I want to do a ride and get pics up in the hills just before sunset...

On a side note, my body is protesting the riding position of another superbike. LoL Its been over a year since I really road one of my superbikes (I was in Afghanistan and other places) and my shoulders, hips, wrists, and elbows are reminding me of the pleasurable pain that comes with riding these types of bikes. My body will adjust again over time and repeated abuse. LoL

Products Discussed in

To Top