Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Help in buying an R6

Old 10-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Help in buying an R6

Edit: Go to post 92 for a TLDR update.

Hello,

I am about to buy my first bike ever. I was going to start with a 250, but everyone keeps telling me to go for the 600 since I will be able to handle it well.

In any case... while I am mechanically inclined as far as trucks and cars go, I do not know much about motorcycles mechanically wise. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

I am planning to buy an R6, since it is pretty much the bike I have always liked. I like other "real" more chopper style bikes as well, but that will come later. Looking at used R6's and I have seen from 1999 to 2009's. While I will be asking in an R6 forum, any of you know of any issues with these? Any tips on the buy?

Thanks!

Edit: While I am sort of locked onto an R6... if you have any suggestions along with the reasoning behind them for another bike, please do tell. I know very little about these. I guess I also like the Suzuki GSX R 600 or the Honda CBR600, just thought that the Yamaha would be better and I like the long form of it, thought it would be more stable.

Anyone got any thoughts about the Hyosung GT650?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
r6hokie is a jewel in the roughr6hokie is a jewel in the roughr6hokie is a jewel in the rough
r6hokie's Tacoma Gallery
Get a 2003 or newer r6, you should be able to pick up an 03 or 04 for $4000
Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6hokie View Post
Get a 2003 or newer r6, you should be able to pick up an 03 or 04 for $4000
That's around the prices I am seeing so far.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't get a 600 for my first bike, at least not an R6. Maybe look at a Suzuki SV 650, Kawasaki 650r, something along those lines.

An R6 has the same performance numbers as a Ferrari Enzo.
IF you put someone who had never been in a car before into an Enzo and told them to use it as their daily driver, what outcome would you expect?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSkynyrd View Post
I wouldn't get a 600 for my first bike, at least not an R6. Maybe look at a Suzuki SV 650, Kawasaki 650r, something along those lines.

IF you put someone who had never been in a car before into an Enzo and told them to use it as their daily driver, what outcome would you expect?
Yes. This is what I was afraid of at first too. I am taking all classes needed atm, be them safety or any other. Instructor so far said that the R6 would be ok for me, though she is going to throughly test me this saturday in that regard. We'll see what happens, she has taught many people successfully, so we'll see. I will however take this that you said into account.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
yeah I wouldn't go for a 600 sport bike as a first bike.

the Suzuki SV650 is a perfect first bike IMO. Enough power to keep you interested for a while, but not enough to kill you if you accidentally twitch your right wrist.

edit: also that v twin sounds so sweet with an exhaust on it
Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
It's tough to recommend a 600 super sport as a first bike.

They are very powerful and are capable of very high speeds.
Brakes are very powerful and if you ham-fist them, you can eat it before you know it.
Handling for around town & parking lot type riding sucks. They don't turn sharp and are not very stable at slow speeds.
Insurance is high on them.
They attract police attention.

If you do go with an R6, it's better to be '03 and above. '02 and older are carb'd & had 2nd gear popping issues if the previous owner was hard on it.
'03 and newer were fuel injected.
There are no common major issues with '03+ R6's. If looking at any bike, you'll want to check the regular stuff, chain condition (tight links), sprocket condition for wear, fork seals for leaks, signs of being laid down. You don't usually get to test ride a bike so you're best off bringing someone that knows their bikes.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSkynyrd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post

the Suzuki SV650 is a perfect first bike IMO. Enough power to keep you interested for a while, but not enough to kill you if you accidentally twitch your right wrist.

I agree with these guys! I wouldn't go as low as a 250 for a first bike either as you'll get bored with it pretty quickly. I couldn't agree more about the SV650, Katana 600 or YZF600. They are plenty quick but more forgiving than an R6, GSX-R600 or CBR600. The race-bred bikes are very high strung and there's a fine line between that exhilerating feeling and oh-shit. If you lose control of a race bike, they're much much harder, if not impossible to bring back. The bikes I recommended will scare you before you reach the bike's limits and, if you do make a mistake, the bike may let you recover. This is all due to a softer suspension, seating position and tuning (and a smaller front tire on the SV650 makes it very nimble and responsive). Plus, on the road, you'll be able to keep up with race bikes in most situations (generally, obviously race bikes are a bit quicker in corners). It's only when you put them on a track and really push them that you see the difference between a race bike an a street bike like the Katana.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
muddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
a 600 for your first bike is just fine. I did take the safety course they offer in PA but that was more so to get my license. I grew up riding quads and some of my friends dirt bikes so i was kinda related to the riding style. I bought an 07 gixxer 600 as my FIRST bike and was just fine. Shoot I should of bought a 1000 right off the bat.

Just remember to respect the bike and learn the tendencies of it first before you go rippin tits.

I rode for 3.5 years with no accidents/speeding ticket....had to sell it to buy the taco!

the R6's are pretty sweet bikes. I did not like them just for the comfort aspect. when i sat on them, it just did not feel right. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki all have great bikes...sit on all of them and pick the one that most comfortable...cas they ALL are not too comfortable in the long run so every lil bit helps
Old 10-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddin View Post
a 600 for your first bike is just fine. I did take the safety course they offer in PA but that was more so to get my license. I grew up riding quads and some of my friends dirt bikes so i was kinda related to the riding style. I bought an 07 gixxer 600 as my FIRST bike and was just fine. Shoot I should of bought a 1000 right off the bat.

Just remember to respect the bike and learn the tendencies of it first before you go rippin tits.

I rode for 3.5 years with no accidents/speeding ticket....had to sell it to buy the taco!
You had previous experience offroad, that makes a huge difference as opposed to someone who has never been on a bike at all.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddin View Post

the R6's are pretty sweet bikes. I did not like them just for the comfort aspect. when i sat on them, it just did not feel right. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki all have great bikes...sit on all of them and pick the one that most comfortable...cas they ALL are not too comfortable in the long run so every lil bit helps
Just cause you survived doesn't mean it was a great idea. 600's for a first bike is fine, a 600 race bred bike is not a good idea. Everyone is different, you had experience with dirt bikes and ATV's so you were used to and comfortable with the controls so you could focus on driving and not learning the controls at the same time. If you have no real past experience on motorcycles or dirt bikes, a race bike is not a good pick for a 1st bike.

FWIW, there's a big difference between a 600 and a 1000. The 1000 is a completely different animal and comes with a whole list of new precautions. For example, it's tough to high side a 600 but the 1000 will effortlessly spin the back end coming out of a corner if you're not careful on the throttle.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:

Well. Looking on the internet... the SV650 and the Kawasaki 650's do not look too bad. The Katana is ugly as hell IMO. If I were to buy one of these it would probably be the one you are suggesting or the Kawasaki just basing my opinion on looks. The YZF600 is fine as well.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Liquid I View Post
Well. Looking on the internet... the SV650 and the Kawasaki 650's do not look too bad. The Katana is ugly as hell IMO. If I were to buy one of these it would probably be the one you are suggesting or the Kawasaki just basing my opinion on looks. The YZF600 is fine as well.
Yeah the Katana makes me puke a little every time I see it lol

The yamaha is probably my favorite out of those, followed by the SV.

Are you talking about the ninja?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
Joe02TRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
Joe02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Bottom line... its all about how much you respect your life, because you can get killed on a bicycle

My first bike was a 95 900RR back in 2000 and I took the safety course too but used my head and tried making good decisions and not exceed my limits. 5- R1's later I still love to ride but don't have the time like I used to. The R6 is a great first bike, and like someone mentioned, go 03 and up if possible to get the fuel injection. Good luck!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
respect the hell out of that power if you get an r6 for your first bike
Old 10-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #16
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
get a honda...

BEST ON EARTH
Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #17
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
get a honda...

BEST ON EARTH
lol except they have no good entry level bikes.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #18
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Don't listen to people who say a inline 600 cc is a good bike to get as a first bike... just because they survived doesn't mean everyone will. You are more likely to kill yourself on an inline 4 600/1000 cc than any other bike.

I do plan to pick up a 600 in about a year or two on my current bike but I'm looking at a CBR600, but I'll hang onto the 650r because its just so damn comfortable on longer rides... it is a GREAT all around bike.

I have a Ninja 650R...great bike (my second, I had a ninja 250 first) and looks great too

Old 10-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Yeah the Katana makes me puke a little every time I see it lol

The yamaha is probably my favorite out of those, followed by the SV.

Are you talking about the ninja?
Yes, the ninja. That was one of the suggestions posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
respect the hell out of that power if you get an r6 for your first bike
I used to love speed. I raced back then. I am very calm now. I have no need for speed at the moment... I feel in the bike I will be going fairly slow. I am not looking to go super fast and I plan on being very very careful. I respect the road a lot after many experiences and what has happened to others around me. I will be using the bike mostly to go to friends houses or events where I do not want to take a car or a truck. Also might go around the island on weekends, but nothing major.

Just as a side note. I am not a fresh out of school kid looking for speed. I am well past that.

Thank you all for the comments so far though. Ya'll have made me think hard about what bike to buy and things I will talk with my instructor this saturday.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #20
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol except they have no good entry level bikes.
the cbr250 seen that?