Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

The 2-stroke thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #41
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I have never had an issue with my 700. I change the oil and I change the plug. 3 years no issues.

Ouch. Still though. I have never had an issue.
Its mostly if it's ridden hard, I can't see anyone who isn't pro even getting close to riding a 700 quad to it's potential. I rode a KX80 for 5 years on the same top end, and I was definitely not easy on it there at the end in the deep sand out here. The piston skirt finally exploded at the top of a hill, Bought a new wiseco for ~80 bucks and she was running again. How the cylinder didn't get destroyed I have no clue.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #42
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Its mostly if it's ridden hard, I can't see anyone who isn't pro even getting close to riding a 700 quad to it's potential. I rode a KX80 for 5 years on the same top end, and I was definitely not easy on it there at the end in the deep sand out here. The piston skirt finally exploded at the top of a hill, Bought a new wiseco for ~80 bucks and she was running again. How the cylinder didn't get destroyed I have no clue.
True but I don't ride slow either. I was told I'm pretty fast when I ride but I don't think so. Either way I would ride either. My only 2 stroke experience is on an old Yamaha 125 2-stroke. Gotta love the power band.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #43
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
lol i drive mine like i stole it. it is constantly wide open. and I will jump pretty much anything.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #44
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
True but I don't ride slow either. I was told I'm pretty fast when I ride but I don't think so. Either way I would ride either. My only 2 stroke experience is on an old Yamaha 125 2-stroke. Gotta love the power band.
rev limiter is bad. You can always tell a goon rider by the amount of time he spends on the limiter.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #45
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
rev limiter is bad. You can always tell a goon rider by the amount of time he spends on the limiter.
Funny thing about my 700 is that it has one but when I rev out in gear it just stops revving higher but when in neutral it kicks back like your standard limiter.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #46
braaap

Quote:
Funny thing about my 700 is that it has one but when I rev out in gear it just stops revving higher but when in neutral it kicks back like your standard limiter.
weird, never seen that before. I've also never ridden a quad though other than a 400ex or something, can't remember the name.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #47
Banned
Quote:
weird, never seen that before. I've also never ridden a quad though other than a 400ex or something, can't remember the name.
It is probably just me. I don't normally intentionally hit the limiter but I remember from first riding it that it would just not rev higher. I'll try it again before I sell it.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #48
braaap

Quote:
It is probably just me. I don't normally intentionally hit the limiter but I remember from first riding it that it would just not rev higher. I'll try it again before I sell it.
In the middle of a jump try a quick panic rev, that should do the trick
Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #49
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my collection of 2-strokes:

Ok, they're not motorcycles, but I still love the 2 stroke engine. These 2 run wide open all the time whenever they're on and never miss a beat. The trimmer is damn near as old as me and has been used commercially for the last 5 years with me. I give it a new plug each season and that is all that I've done, aside from removing the stupid clogged spark arrestor screen. That's it. Whereas my 4 stroke mower engines (also running full throttle all the time) overheat and warp cylinder heads. I really hope the greenies never get enough footing to kill our beloved (yet highly polluting) 2-smokers.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #50
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ I was waiting for some one to do that, I myself have 3 chains, 2 weed wackers, and a leaf blower. All 2smokers

Rev limiter is bad, floating valves is bad. I do admit to have a Yamaha raptor 350, but the 2 valve air cooled 4 strokes are pretty damn reliable although its a tank and about as fast as ttr 125
Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #51
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoTacoma View Post
^^^ I was waiting for some one to do that, I myself have 3 chains, 2 weed wackers, and a leaf blower. All 2smokers

Rev limiter is bad, floating valves is bad. I do admit to have a Yamaha raptor 350, but the 2 valve air cooled 4 strokes are pretty damn reliable although its a tank and about as fast as ttr 125
my DR will do 0 to 100 in about 10 minutes lol. The thing will probably do 60k miles before needing a top end though.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #52
DreDog is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
DreDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoTacoma View Post
Indeed. I rest my case.
http://vimeo.com/32887596
hahahahah

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure nothing ever happens to 2 strokes.
not as much as these 4 stroke bikes that you have to take like half the fucking thing apart to get to the spark plug. and dont even get me started on taking the carb off.. theres too much stuff crammed into the engine area to make these things work properly and to make maintenence SIMPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Mud_bug View Post
lol damn he blew that thing up, if its prior to the 04 model they didnt have a very good oiling system and that was a very common occurrance. and riding the rev limiter dont help.
i have an 04; and i have the 04 valve problem too.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #53
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreDog View Post
not as much as these 4 stroke bikes that you have to take like half the fucking thing apart to get to the spark plug. and dont even get me started on taking the carb off.. theres too much stuff crammed into the engine area to make these things work properly and to make maintenence SIMPLE
I already went through this with someone else.

Also I'm not sure what you are taking apart since I can get to my plug from the side of my bike. No carbs on my bike.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #54
braaap

Quote:
hahahahah

i have an 04; and i have the 04 valve problem too.
That also has a lot to do with everyone's pointless obsession with using aluminum for the frames. My KTM was so easy to work on because of the steel frame, and still weighed less than any other aluminum framed bike.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #56
DPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dylan
DPR921's Tacoma Gallery
I wish i could still race a 2 stroke there fun, but there is no way I could race a 2 stroke anymore you have to be ridiculously fast to stay on top of your game. Yea i agree 4 strokes are expensive and break easier but thats the price of the game these days unfortunately. If i just rode though not competitively there is no doubt id be rippin a 2 smoker!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #57

DreDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I already went through this with someone else.

Also I'm not sure what you are taking apart since I can get to my plug from the side of my bike. No carbs on my bike.
i have a different ride than you so things are located in different places. and lucky you, all of us without efi, have something called a carb..
Old 12-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #58
Banned
Quote:
have something called a carb..
Never heard of that before.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #59
Sgnl>04 will become famous soon enough

Sgnl>04's Tacoma Gallery
moved
Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #60

DreDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Never heard of that before.
for most of the newer (04+) race bikes, the plug is on the top of the head, under the gas tank. so the shrouds and tank have to come off