Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Sportster question

Old 12-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
Sportster question

Anyone own a sportster? If so, how tall are you? I was wondering if 6' is too tall to be riding that small of a bike.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
like a boss
middiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security
Name: Joe
middiedefense's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to middiedefense
I have a nightster and with the sport controls it was little uncomfortable butter not unbearable. I put forward controls on and it made a big difference. Only problem is I can't get as low through turns as before. Oh yea I am 6'2" Hope it helps.

Also if you go to a HD dealer you can try out different configurations on a test bike and see which you perfer
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I'm in Afghanistan right now and they have one in their little Harley shack, and it felt pretty comfy. Just wanted to get some opinions other than the salesman's.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
It's not too tall for 6'. There really is no "too tall" when it comes to bikes. There is, however, a "too short" when you can't touch your feet to the ground
I would respectfully disagree with there not being a 'too tall' for a bike, especially when it comes to smaller cruisers.

In my opinion, 6' is boarderline for the Sportster. It does have a more compact riding position so if you have really long legs, you might not find it overly comfortable. At 5' 9", I found it to be a comfortable riding position.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Anyone own a sportster? If so, how tall are you? I was wondering if 6' is too tall to be riding that small of a bike.
I'm 5'11" Have forward controls and I'm very comfortable. Mid controls or stock would be an issue IMO
Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Big things have small beginnings
staticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Commo: You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
Name: Steve
staticsquelch's Tacoma Gallery
Have a Nightster also with forward controls. I'm 5'11" and have no real issues. Except for long rides when I wish they were out a little further, maybe 2-3". Other than that I have no complaint.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Is it fairly cheap to add forward controls?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #10
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 6', and had the 1200C. It felt like I was riding on the front wheel.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:21 AM   #11
Big things have small beginnings
staticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Commo: You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
Name: Steve
staticsquelch's Tacoma Gallery
If you really want a Harley, I would recommend getting a Super Glide or a Wide Glide, or even a Fat Bob, more comfortable and you will not need to grow into a "bigger" bike later on down the road. If I could do it again I would have gone that route. You should be able to get either one at a pretty good price from those Exchange Car Sales places. And it will be waiting for you when you get back.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Name: Curt
SteelRain's Tacoma Gallery
Ya...I agree with Steve. Look into the Street Bob as well. My Sporty fits me well, but I'm 5' 9" and built like a T-rex. Short stubby arms, and a big head.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
I'll check those models out..I want to call a dealer and see if they can beat these prices. They sell the iron with about a $500 discount and i'm pretty sure I still have to pay California taxes. I feel like I could talk a dealer down more than 500.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #14
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
6'1" and have a nightster with forwards and a mustang seat, I have been very comfortable on the bike.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
Harleyman2its is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
Harleyman2its's Tacoma Gallery
This will help to find what's good for you.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...vLzn6NKUzw4QfA
Old 03-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Its all in what type of riding style you like, honestly a 6 foot man will make a sportster look a little small in my opinion, Im 6'1 and I love my night train with the apes. Fits me perfect

Old 05-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Is it fairly cheap to add forward controls?
I am 6'1 and I have an 07 Nightster. I added the HD forward controls. I think they were a little over 300 on ebay. Not too difficult to install if you can turn a wrench and read some basic instructions. I also added Burly apes. I think its a comfortable bike, but it wont be as comfortable as say a Street Bob or any of the larger bikes. The price of the Nightster was far more appealing though and its a blast to ride. Most dealers will let you take a test ride. Good luck with your purchase.

btw, Id say stay away from the 883(iron), they do look cool but are geared different and not as fun to ride compared to the 1200. I used to have an 883C and I always regretted not getting the 1200.
Attached Thumbnails
Sportster question-312176_2352225080641_1100562831_2907933_1666715579_n.jpg