LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Silly ? How to load an ATV in the Bed?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Silly ? How to load an ATV in the Bed?

Ok, so I'm thinking of getting an ATV. Nice place to transport it of course would be the bed of my Taco. Well, how does a shortie like me at 5'7" load a 200lb(?) ATV without breaking my back. I've always wondered how its done. I see the little ramps but how is it done? Oh and my truck is lifted 3" too.

Please excuse the silly question and help a newbie out. I'm a mountain biker but those are much lighter of course.

Thanks boys.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
A dedicated bike ramp I got at costco for around $100
Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I have a folding ramp that I just drive up.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
wow.. I've never considered how you would load it OTHER than with a ramp. I guess it would be quite difficult!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh
mountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cory
mountainman94's Tacoma Gallery
Something like this would probably be your best bet. I have a 8ft trailer i use to transport mine, but i often have 2 and obviously 2 won't fit in the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Silly ? How to load an ATV in the Bed?-imagescahftziv.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman94 View Post
Something like this would probably be your best bet. I have a 8ft trailer i use to transport mine, but i often have 2 and obviously 2 won't fit in the bed.
Those like to walk if you are on an uneven surface.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Bartle Do Member
MXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith Stone
MXscott14's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz_Yd2Airrg
Old 12-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I have a folding ramp that I just drive up.

haha. This is the same ramp I got at costco.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
wow, quick responses boys. Thanks.

I checked out a few videos on YouTube. Most of them just ride up the ramp and stop just, just before hitting the window. Yikes, I'd hate to smash the window. Going up is one thing, but going down backwards looks downright scary, especially from a lifted truck.

I've also seen some of the winch systems. Safer but slow. Hmm, maybe I'll just get a trailer instead IF IF I get an ATV.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
haha. This is the same ramp I got at costco.
I financed it with the bike. I don't even know what brand it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
but going down backwards looks downright scary, especially from a lifted truck.
Just ride down. No big deal.

Quote:
I've also seen some of the winch systems. Safer but slow. Hmm, maybe I'll just get a trailer instead IF IF I get an ATV.
I would trailer it if you have room. That way the bed is open for riding gear and camping supplies. See how my quad take up 90% of the bed? It is a pain in the ass to load everything else.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Those like to walk if you are on an uneven surface.
WRONG AGAIN!!! Ramps cant walk
Old 12-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #12

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXscott14 View Post
I don't think I can do this, I like my back the way it is...straight. I'm not a young buck like the guy in the video. Thanks though.

How much does...say a 250-400cc ATV weight anyhow?

That Costco ramp looks good, nice and wide. But yeah, I think a trailer is the way to go. Knowing myself, if its too much hassle for me, I won't do it as much and, hence, may not make good use of the ATV. And then there's bed space still for camping and cargo/gear.

How much would a trailer to hold an ATV go for? Would I also have the licence and register the trailer? Now we're going into more costs for a hobby that I might only do a few times/yr. Dang, maybe better just to rent a dang ATV after all this!!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
WRONG AGAIN!!! Ramps cant walk
I'm sorry. Slide then.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Bartle Do Member
MXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith Stone
MXscott14's Tacoma Gallery
quads are gay, get a dirt bike
Old 12-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I'm sorry. Slide then.
Haha
Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
Señor member

Quote:
I don't think I can do this, I like my back the way it is...straight. I'm not a young buck like the guy in the video. Thanks though.

How much does...say a 250-400cc ATV weight anyhow?

That Costco ramp looks good, nice and wide.
Easy peezy bro. Just throw your hat sideways and flatten the bill and your good lol. I wanna see homie load it like this after he wrecks it
Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #17
Banned
This is why those single ramps suck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZxC...e_gdata_player

live via
Old 12-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Second the trailer idea..my dad picked up a polaris a couple years ago and a trailer for it..besides using the quad a handful of times, that trailer paid for itself time and time again, the most recent was tonight when a buddy needed his harley taken to the dealer after a wreck.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #19

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Second the trailer idea..my dad picked up a polaris a couple years ago and a trailer for it..besides using the quad a handful of times, that trailer paid for itself time and time again, the most recent was tonight when a buddy needed his harley taken to the dealer after a wreck.
Ah, yes. Excellent. The trailer can be used for other purposes!!

Trailers bring up a whole new set of questions:
License/registration costs and requirements?
Brakes or no brakes?
Brake lights?
Insurance?
Yet another mechanical item to maintain, tires,wheels,bearings,hitch,lights.
Storage

Hmm, I better rethink this whole ATV idea
Old 12-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #20
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ah, yes. Excellent. The trailer can be used for other purposes!!

Trailers bring up a whole new set of questions:
License/registration costs and requirements?
Brakes or no brakes?
Brake lights?
Insurance?
Yet another mechanical item to maintain, tires,wheels,bearings,hitch,lights.
Storage

Hmm, I better rethink this whole ATV idea
No you should definitely get an ATV. Trailers aren't that big of a deal.. a small utility trailer isn't that expensive, and you can pretty much store it where ever you were planning on storing the ATV, or just park it in the yard somewhere.
As long as you have a drivers license, you can drive it.
Registration is same as registering a vehicle. One fee a year. and its cheaper.
don't need brakes unless its a LARGE trailer.
Yes you need brake lights.. most trailers that are street legal already have them.
Insurance for trailers is cheap.
Very little maintenance besides making sure the tires look ok before you drive away.