Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

How do you load your sport bike into your Truck bed?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #41
RNYC is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
RNYC's Tacoma Gallery
Bumping this thread a bit:

For track days, contemplating a truck. Can I haul a bike with the short bed? I know long bed is recommended, but it's difficult to park where I live.

I've searched, and seen many pics of bikes in short beds, but no real results are posted, e.g., long term use, etc.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the lame first post.

*(Yes, I searched... I'm looking for real experience as told from real people, not what I can piece together. Thanks!)*
Old 01-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #42
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNYC View Post
Bumping this thread a bit:

For track days, contemplating a truck. Can I haul a bike with the short bed? I know long bed is recommended, but it's difficult to park where I live.

I've searched, and seen many pics of bikes in short beds, but no real results are posted, e.g., long term use, etc.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the lame first post.

*(Yes, I searched... I'm looking for real experience as told from real people, not what I can piece together. Thanks!)*
Here you go. Chances are that Katana is longer and heavier than a track day bike also. If you have any specific questions, ask away. I have not had any issues hauling my bike this way in the last 4 years although I haven't had to transport the bike much in the last year...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mot...dcsb-pics.html
Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #43
RNYC is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
RNYC's Tacoma Gallery
Plugga,

Thank you!

That was actually one of the threads I looked at. Nicely done.

No issues with the tailgate, either the gate itself or the cables? I see some people are reinforcing their gates; I'd prefer not to have to do so. Roads are pretty bumpy around these parts.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #44
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNYC View Post
Plugga,

Thank you!

That was actually one of the threads I looked at. Nicely done.

No issues with the tailgate, either the gate itself or the cables? I see some people are reinforcing their gates; I'd prefer not to have to do so. Roads are pretty bumpy around these parts.
I have not had any issues with that tailgate or the cables. I'm not sure if the tailgates got better for certain years or not. The cables absolutely should not break or pull, some have had an issue with bending the tailgate itself. If this is a concern, a piece of plywood the length of the bed and tailgate would stiffen it up quite a bit. Just make sure you secure it into the bed otherwise, when you hit the front brake when unloading, the whole piece can slide out of the truck with the bike (ask me how I learned that lesson)

FWIW, that Katana has a dry weight of 465 lbs and the wheel base is 58 inches. A bone stock litter bike won't even weigh that much wet and will have a slightly shorter wheel base.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #45
upthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Josh
upthemaiden's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonchaser View Post

You said it's always better to run your bike straight into the bed, rather than diagonally with the tail gate shut. I was curious why that is? I usually run mine straight because the tonneau cover I have has rails that extend past the bed rails, and I wouldn't want to wedge anything against them, but I did haul a dirtbike a few days after I bought my truck and didn't have the cover. I put it in diagonally and thought it worked pretty well, plus no worries about bending the rail at the front of the bed.

How do you like that ramp/bed extender? I've seen those around a little and thought about grabbing one, but haven't gone for it yet.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #46
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dave
canyonchaser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthemaiden View Post
You said it's always better to run your bike straight into the bed, rather than diagonally with the tail gate shut. I was curious why that is? I usually run mine straight because the tonneau cover I have has rails that extend past the bed rails, and I wouldn't want to wedge anything against them, but I did haul a dirtbike a few days after I bought my truck and didn't have the cover. I put it in diagonally and thought it worked pretty well, plus no worries about bending the rail at the front of the bed.

How do you like that ramp/bed extender? I've seen those around a little and thought about grabbing one, but haven't gone for it yet.
A dirtbike is a little different - it weighs half as much as a street-bike, but the reason to keep a bike upright is that it puts even tension on the tie-down straps - so that if one comes loose or slips, the bike is more likely to stay upright long enough for you to notice.

When a bike is at an angle and something starts to slip, even during the unloading process, the bike tends to get slammed down onto its side. I've seen this happen a couple of times actually.

And I have the ready-ramp and think its brilliant. It's the only way to go. The ramp is a bit longer so its easier to load, because it folds up it is easier to store and the way it attaches to the back of the truck it's easier to secure during transport. I highly recommend them.

dp
Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #47
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
A big mound of dirt and a running start.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #48

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
A big mound of dirt and a running start.
http://youtu.be/YIMqIIattWc
Old 02-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #49
upthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Josh
upthemaiden's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
but the reason to keep a bike upright is that it puts even tension on the tie-down straps - so that if one comes loose or slips, the bike is more likely to stay upright long enough for you to notice.

And I have the ready-ramp and think its brilliant. It's the only way to go. The ramp is a bit longer so its easier to load, because it folds up it is easier to store
dp
Ooh, so maybe I misinterpretted your comment. When you said not to load them at an angle, you meant vertically? I was thinking horizontally, as in whether or not the bike runs parallel to the sides of the bed. I see how it could apply if it's just going from corner to corner too though. When I strapped that dirtbike in there the straps obviously weren't symmetric, but I try to make up for it by using a million tie downs haha. I get paranoid about that stuff.

Glad to hear you like the ramp. One other question, any chance it fits across the back seat when it's folded? It's obviously the width of the bed, so it would be a tight fit, but one of the reasons I like my folding ramp is because it easily fits in the back of my access cab. In most situations it wouldn't be a big deal, just toss it in the bed, or even lock it with a cable lock, but I work in a somewhat questionable neighborhood(not to mention 2 blocks from a home depot with unlimited bolt and cable cutters haha), and on those occasions when I leave straight from work to go pick something up, I don't care to leave anything in my bed. Being able to stuff the ready ramp in my cab would be a huge selling point.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #50
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Ooh, so maybe I misinterpretted your comment. When you said not to load them at an angle, you meant vertically? I was thinking horizontally, as in whether or not the bike runs parallel to the sides of the bed. I see how it could apply if it's just going from corner to corner too though. When I strapped that dirtbike in there the straps obviously weren't symmetric, but I try to make up for it by using a million tie downs haha. I get paranoid about that stuff.

Glad to hear you like the ramp. One other question, any chance it fits across the back seat when it's folded? It's obviously the width of the bed, so it would be a tight fit, but one of the reasons I like my folding ramp is because it easily fits in the back of my access cab. In most situations it wouldn't be a big deal, just toss it in the bed, or even lock it with a cable lock, but I work in a somewhat questionable neighborhood(not to mention 2 blocks from a home depot with unlimited bolt and cable cutters haha), and on those occasions when I leave straight from work to go pick something up, I don't care to leave anything in my bed. Being able to stuff the ready ramp in my cab would be a huge selling point.
No, you want them in the bed of the truck straight as well. That way their is equal tension on equal length straps. It creates a balanced load, and if you have to get on the brakes hard, the bike is stable.

This is right. Only requires two tie-downs. It's simple, it's proven. It works.

There is no advantage to putting the bike in corner to corner - its just a whole lot more likely to fall over becuase the loads are all wrong. Like I said, you can get away with this with a dirt bike because they don't weigh anything, but a street-bike you want centered and straight. Imagine the tension and stress on that Tiger 1050 if you have to get on the brakes really hard. I've seen a lot of bike topple from this position.

This is wrong. Requires at least four or more tie-downs. The bike is never stable, it sways and tips constantly. This is how a noobe would tie down his bike.

And honestly, I have no idea of my ramp fits in my back seat, and I'm not really inclined to try it - The ramp is dirty and manky and I like the interior of my truck nice and clean. I'd probably just go buy a thick kyrptonite cable lock.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/...PNumber=999829

dp
Old 02-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #51
Omar will become famous soon enough

Omar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...Glad to hear you like the ramp. One other question, any chance it fits across the back seat when it's folded?...
I have put the ready ramp behind the seats of my extra cab many times.
and yes, load bike straight and tighten down evenly NOT caddy corner or on kickstand
better yet, I'm putting the pitbull restraints in the new tacoma
Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #52
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
Just a question, do you guys notice a decrease in mpg's when carrying a bike in the back? I'm bringing my brothers KLR650 down with us when we drive the White Rim and I need to know if I need to budget more for gas? Thanks for the informative video's!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #53
treadway47025 is on a distinguished road
treadway47025's Tacoma Gallery
How bad was it to install the bed buddy? Have any more pics of it in your truck?

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKlVC-pfbC0

Same technique works for trailers and pickups. Pull the truck into a ditch, culvert so the tailgate is really low, or use a small step stool. Been doing this for more years than I care to admit.

I also use a "Bed-Buddy" (lame name, I know) for inside the bed of the truck. I reinforced the composite bed and provides wheel chalks and more tie down points. And it's only about $100.

dp
Old 03-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #54
Duae Rotarum per Sempre

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadway47025 View Post
How bad was it to install the bed buddy? Have any more pics of it in your truck?
It took about 30 minutes. Super simple. What photo would you like?

dp
Old 03-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #55
treadway47025 is on a distinguished road
treadway47025's Tacoma Gallery
some showing what it looks like in the bed with no bike.