Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Dirt bike hitch mount

Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Dirt bike hitch mount

I bought a used Versa Haul hitch mount motorcycle carrier. I think this will be a good way to transport my dirt bike.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
For a bike that size it seems it'd do ok. Those things scare me though, that's a lot of weight set way behind the rear axle.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Mtlgrlie is on a distinguished road
Mtlgrlie's Tacoma Gallery
They're great actually! I have an all aluminum single one for my scooters. Used it on my 09 Subaru with class 3 hitch. My scoots are about 200 lbs. It had zero problems with it.

I just bought my 2012 Tacoma, so I've only pulled a 5 x 6 trailer with 2 scooters so far. But I plan on using my hitch mount when I only need one.

And it might matter to say I'll be putting a cap on in about 2 weeks, so no scooter in the truck bed.....
Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
My only question would be.....Can you see your rear lights when carrying the bike/scooter ?????

The OP's picture shows very little of the Taco's lights.....instant way to have a LEO "light" you up or have a "text'r" shorten your truck.......
Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
My only question would be.....Can you see your rear lights when carrying the bike/scooter ?????

The OP's picture shows very little of the Taco's lights.....instant way to have a LEO "light" you up or have a "text'r" shorten your truck.......

I thought of this too. I bought a set of magnetic tail lights that sit on the hitch between my dirt bike tires. Plug into the trailer lights receptacle. Hopefully this will alleviate a ticket and also help prevent an accident from behind.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Mtlgrlie is on a distinguished road
Mtlgrlie's Tacoma Gallery
My scooters are much smaller and shorter already, but that's a great idea with the lights.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
For a bike that size it seems it'd do ok. Those things scare me though, that's a lot of weight set way behind the rear axle.
They work great.

There are a couple of models, one capable of carrying two bikes--that I probably wouldn't consider for the weight and this one.

OP, you might want to weld a piece of 2" square stock to a plate so you can stand the VH up in the garage. Makes storage a lot easier. Also, careful of the threads on that aluminum hitch tightening thing. They'll strip pretty easy.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
They work great.

There are a couple of models, one capable of carrying two bikes--that I probably wouldn't consider for the weight and this one.

OP, you might want to weld a piece of 2" square stock to a plate so you can stand the VH up in the garage. Makes storage a lot easier. Also, careful of the threads on that aluminum hitch tightening thing. They'll strip pretty easy.

Thanks for the good tips. Right now the VH sits at the back of my garage, leaned against the wall. I'll be careful with the threads.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Got2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryder
Got2ryde's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardscrabble View Post
I bought a used Versa Haul hitch mount motorcycle carrier. I think this will be a good way to transport my dirt bike.

Do you have aftermarket suspension? Or are you still stock. I'm quite confident that weight cantelevered would max out my stock suspension. I'd like to get one of these so I can haul my DRZ and have my topper on for camping. But I'm waiting until I get a real leaf pack.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #10
Broja OG and CEO
mipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mike
Location: Behind the windshield, watching the world pass on the right.
mipawlus's Tacoma Gallery
I ride sport bikes and often put my 417lb Duc in the bed with no real issues aside from lack of SECURE tie down points for the nose, and of course the tailgate stays down. I'm usually pretty comfortable hauling her around that way, as long as the roads don't get too twisty, since there is ample weight above the normally light rear axle. I have had a few pucker moments, especially in very technical roads with tight corners and banks. Have you noticed any changes to the rear end's behavior with this setup? I don't know if I'd be comfortable with it.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2ryde View Post
Do you have aftermarket suspension? Or are you still stock. I'm quite confident that weight cantelevered would max out my stock suspension. I'd like to get one of these so I can haul my DRZ and have my topper on for camping. But I'm waiting until I get a real leaf pack.
I've still got stock suspension, three leaf pack. I've only used the hitch hauler for my CRF450X. It weighs ~250lbs, pretty much the same as your DRZ. Your topper will add weight though, so you might burden your suspension more than I do.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipawlus View Post
I ride sport bikes and often put my 417lb Duc in the bed with no real issues aside from lack of SECURE tie down points for the nose, and of course the tailgate stays down. I'm usually pretty comfortable hauling her around that way, as long as the roads don't get too twisty, since there is ample weight above the normally light rear axle. I have had a few pucker moments, especially in very technical roads with tight corners and banks. Have you noticed any changes to the rear end's behavior with this setup? I don't know if I'd be comfortable with it.
Sounds like you need a trailer IMO.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
1FSTLS1 is on a distinguished road

1FSTLS1's Tacoma Gallery
Any one use these with a cap/shell? Or would the handlebars hit the glass? How far is the bike from the tailgate?
Old 12-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
1FSTLS1 is on a distinguished road

1FSTLS1's Tacoma Gallery
Any one use these with a cap/shell? Or would the handlebars hit the glass? How far is the bike from the tailgate?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1 View Post
You cannot open the shell while a bike is on it. Otherwise, works just fine and is far enough away that the bike won't hit the gate or shell.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #16
voodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of light

voodootruckers's Tacoma Gallery
I've been eyeballing this carrier, any updates or opinions on the versahaul.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:53 AM   #17
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Enclosed trailer is the way to go. I don't know how I lived without one. Bikes stay in there when I don't ride them, and going to the trail or track is a crazy easy process. Hook up the trailer and go. All the gear lives in the trailer, tools, helmets, fuel... it's so easy it's dumb.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #18
Livinserene is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
Livinserene's Tacoma Gallery
Do a lot of solo dirt riding and am liking the idea of this rack ,,, enclosed trailer def for multiple bikes ,,wife's quad etc,,, time to check used I date say
Old 07-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #19

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
Enclosed trailer is the way to go. I don't know how I lived without one. Bikes stay in there when I don't ride them, and going to the trail or track is a crazy easy process. Hook up the trailer and go. All the gear lives in the trailer, tools, helmets, fuel... it's so easy it's dumb.
In CA, at least, the trailer limits you to 55mph on the freeway. Makes a hitch carrier so much nicer
Old 07-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #20
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
If you get a rack look into http://www.joehauler.com/
Those are the originals and built with thicker material and stronger than all the others available. I use one on the back of my Jeep TJ and can still off-road with it on the back! It does rock a bit but it doesnt go anywhere.

Took me a while to get used to seeing a swaying bike in the rearview! After checking it 100x I realized it wasnt going to go anywhere, haha.

A buddy of mine has one of the HF aluminum ones and it actually broke off and jacked up his bike really bad, careful with the cheap ones, would suck to ruin a $10K bike due to having a cheap carrier! The Joe Haulers cost a little more but there is a reason. Cheap insurance IMO.