Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

learning how to ride a bike

Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
learning how to ride a bike

thinkin bout getting a bike because its getting to the point my trucks are ALWAYS broken down almost simultaniously, or like now both at the same time.

i need something cheap cause i cant afford a new vehicle and my mom wont let me have a beater. so im looking at a buddies honda shadow. so i have something reliable and under 200k miles to drive.

but i understand how to ride it, but itll take practice and getting use to. but whats the easiest way to get used to riding so to say? thats what im wondering, idk if i worded it right
Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I took a class
Old 01-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
To turn right turn left n vice versa, may think I'm crazy but you'll get it
Old 01-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Yeah I second the class, nothing beats learning on a beater bike
Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
also any of yall use a bike as a daily driver?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Take one of these.
http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
I used to bike daily until I sold it, all year long. The best thing you can do is go to a class. I had been riding bikes for years before I took a class to get my license, the CHP Motorcycle safety course or something like that, anyways, learned so much in that class that I hadn't known about before, definitly worth it and thats the first thing I suggest to anyone that asks me about how to go about learning to ride.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
its not to bad but id definately take a class. i got to learn on my roomates CBR929. it was a hoss haha
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
I don't right now either but my friend zips around on her little ninja, that thing is pretty sweet. Well worth the 3k or so and get awesome mpg's. Just watch out for other drivers.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with others, motorcycle safety course. It's a great way to learn the basics. As far as a beater bike, depending on the distance you have to travel and what it's like (highway or in town), I'd suggest a dual sport. They're nimble, forgiving for beginners, a lot of fun and very easy to work on if you do drop it.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on taking the MSF class. Once you pass, you get your M endorsement. Shadow is a good bike for a beginner, so that is good you chose that and not a liter bike. Just take is slow and never ride over your abilities. Look where you want to go, not at that guardrail/curb you are trying to avoid.

Forgot to add, Shadows hold their value well, so you will be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it later.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #12
bobg03 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Retired Chauffer
bobg03's Tacoma Gallery
Do yourself a favor and listen to the above advice. Take an MSF and don't buy a superbike right outta the gate.

I've been riding since I was 13, I am 53 now. I have 3 adult sons who also ride now. I'm not preaching but I've learned a few things over the years.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #13
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Another advocate of the MSF course. Good material for new and veteran riders.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #14
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Taking my course this weekend. Have been riding dirt bikes for years but am about the get an enduro
Old 01-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #15
kroving has a spectacular aura aboutkroving has a spectacular aura about
Name: Ken
kroving's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for the motorcycle safety course. Lots of good skills to start you out. You will probably learn some things that you didn't know.

I usually ride daily from April to Sept. or Oct. Spend some money on your gear. I recommend a full face helmet, motorcycle jacket and gloves. Better to have the right gear and not need it than to need it a not have it.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #16
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Plus you need the course to get the motorcycle license (at least here in Florida)
Old 01-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #17
ninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Nick
ninja_taco's Tacoma Gallery
here in LA the course takes place of having to have an insured bike at the DMV when u get endorsement. i took course at the harley dealership near me - enjoyed it. worth the money. didnt really see point in them having to show us around their store and promote harley everyday. o well. still a good course
Old 01-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #18
TieDie
Tiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the rough

Tiedie's Tacoma Gallery
Take the course, and here in NC you go take the written test they give you a learners permit and within 6 months you go take the riding test and poof you have you endorsement.Been riding for over 20 years now in WNC.Gotta love those twistys.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
Find a motorcycle safety course. I don't know of a more accessible way to properly learn the fundamentals. (notice the theme here!)

After doing the course, practice and experience will help make you more confident.