Notices

Which bike should I get? Imput needed!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
GREENMACHINE is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Calvin
GREENMACHINE's Tacoma Gallery
Which bike should I get? Imput needed!

I'm 6'3 180lbs and have I have been riding dirt bikes for years now and am wanting a street bike. What I'm interested in is something comfortable but is still sporty. I really like the naked/ standard bikes, but haven't had very good luck finding any used for sale. What make makes a good standard bike? I kinda like the idea of a bobber, sportster, or mid sized cruiser too. I'm still undecided on which I should get. Let me know your imput on standard vs. mid size cruiser. Or what make of bike I should be looking for. I'm looking for a used bike. Any advice is well appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
I think you might change your mind about a Sportster if you sit on one at the dealer....even with forward controls you might be cramped up at 6' 3".

As far as a standard on naked....I've always liked the Yamaha FZ1's.....good amount of leg room for a "sporty" set up.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
SmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
SmEYELey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
I think you might change your mind about a Sportster if you sit on one at the dealer....even with forward controls you might be cramped up at 6' 3".

As far as a standard on naked....I've always liked the Yamaha FZ1's.....good amount of leg room for a "sporty" set up.
X2 sat on a fz1 and im 6 '2 and was fairly comfortable also I dont know if honda still makes the bike but they made a stander style bike of the cbr.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
BigFoot aka Sasquatch
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Suzuki TL1000s or a Honda Superhawk would both be a lot of fun. The v-twins would be a lot of fun for you coming from the dirt bikes.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
FZ1 or SV series suzuki gets my vote.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
A Sporty is not a 2 person bike. i do it but we only run short 25 mile rides. I'm comfortable as hell. Her not so much. I'm 5' 11" and I'm very comfortable with forward controls. 6'3" might be pushing it. And i think it would look like a mini bike with you on it. To me, at this point in my life, if you have a windshield etc it's not a bike. Drive a car. Naked all the way. There are lot of bikes that ride better and are faster than a Sportster. But, I love mine. When you find the bike for you, you'll love it too no matter what it is. Try them out and be realistic with your goals.
Attached Thumbnails
Which bike should I get? Imput needed!-sportstermodded.jpg  
Old 02-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Yes
rjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
rjg's Tacoma Gallery
Suzuki Bandits (600/650, 1200,1250) , Honda 919, Kawasaki Z1000 are several more nakeds.

Quote:
A Sporty is not a 2 person bike. i do it but we only run short 25 mile rides. I'm comfortable as hell. Her not so much. I'm 5' 11" and I'm very comfortable with forward controls
Tacoma Mike, is your Sportster a 2000? Very nice! I had a 2000 1200 XL Sporty for years. My wife and I rode double all the time, several trips over 500 miles. It helped with a Mustang touring seat and sissy bar. Also helps that we are short! 5'8" and 5'2"!

Also, Spencers Seat Mod greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php will help with seat comfort. He does nice work to the stock seat for a reasonable price.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Really depends on what type of riding you want to do.

If you want to just cruise, or ride 2-up with the 'ol lady, look into a cruiser. Since you have some dirtbike experience, I would recommend looking at an 1100cc cruiser.

If you want to hit the twisties, look at the SV or similar standard. As far as what size, in the sporty/standard style, I would recommend 600-750 cc. Please do not get a liter bike if this is your first street bike.

Also, take the MSF class if you have not. If you pass that, you automatically get your M indorsement, and no silly DMV riding test to take.

Best of luck. Riding is one of the best things to relieve stress, besides modding the taco of course.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg View Post
Suzuki Bandits (600/650, 1200,1250) , Honda 919, Kawasaki Z1000 are several more nakeds.

Tacoma Mike, is your Sportster a 2000? Very nice! I had a 2000 1200 XL Sporty for years. My wife and I rode double all the time, several trips over 500 miles. It helped with a Mustang touring seat and sissy bar. Also helps that we are short! 5'8" and 5'2"!
Yes it is a 2000. Have a quick attach hi sissy bar for the wife. but she is sensitive to the vibs and has a little restless leg syndrome. So it's hard to go that far.

TY
Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
IndianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
sportsters are an ok bike but im at 6'2" and i felt cramped on it when i rode a friends. i when with a heritage softail and its a great bike imo but everyone is different. if i had to do it over again i would get an ultra glide
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Yes
rjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
rjg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Really depends on what type of riding you want to do.

If you want to just cruise, or ride 2-up with the 'ol lady, look into a cruiser. Since you have some dirtbike experience, I would recommend looking at an 1100cc cruiser.

If you want to hit the twisties, look at the SV or similar standard. As far as what size, in the sporty/standard style, I would recommend 600-750 cc. Please do not get a liter bike if this is your first street bike.

Also, take the MSF class if you have not. If you pass that, you automatically get your M indorsement, and no silly DMV riding test to take.

Best of luck. Riding is one of the best things to relieve stress, besides modding the taco of course.

Excellent info
Old 02-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
Thought about the Kawasaki Versys? Rode one and liked it. Has the standard ish type of styling and would definitely accomodate a taller person. Likely not the best for 2 up riding.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Doc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doc
Doc35's Tacoma Gallery
If you're looking for a Cruiser I'd recommend a Star (Yamaha), Road Star. I had one for a couple years before I went with a touring bike. In my personal opinion it's the best cruiser out there.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
damn like the collection^^
Old 02-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11TRD View Post
Thanks! I have a motorcycle hoarding problem.
i had that same problem
Old 02-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
HERES WHAT YOU NEED, This is my baby

night train

Old 02-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
night trains are sexy..And i'm not a harley guy by any means.