Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Looking into Dirt Bikes, a couple questions for you dirt bikers.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Looking into Dirt Bikes, a couple questions for you dirt bikers.

I have decided that my addiction for going fast on trails will be cheaper to satisfy with a Dirt Bike rather than full LT for the Taco. I went through a couple DB threads started here already so I hope this doesnt sound played out. Im 5'11 200lbs so I decided I will probably going with a 450. I have experience on street bikes already so Im not too scared of the extra power and I know how to control my throttle(I know Dirt is completely different from pavement). I am pretty loyal to Yamaha so going to be going with them, I noticed on the site that they have Motocross DBs and Off-Road DBs. I want to do Baja Style fast desert riding, so Im assuming that I should be looking at the off-road ones, just want to make sure. Thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You cant really go wrong with any of the 450s from any manufacturers. I would sit on a few bikes and see how you like them and base your decision off of that. You could also look into 250 two strokes, they make mean desert bikes as well. The offroad style 450s like the wr450 tend to be a bit heavier as well. (10-15#s)
If I wanted a strictly desert bike I would go with a yz250 with a 300 bit bore kit and wr gears(longer).

Are you buying new or used?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Honda ftw

MX have stiffer suspension for launching big jumps, tighter gear ratios

Dual Sport/enduro/trail bikes have plusher susp and wide ratio gearing, sometimes electric start
Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoTacoma View Post
You cant really go wrong with any of the 450s from any manufacturers. I would sit on a few bikes and see how you like them and base your decision off of that. You could also look into 250 two strokes, they make mean desert bikes as well. The offroad style 450s like the wr450 tend to be a bit heavier as well. (10-15#s)
If I wanted a strictly desert bike I would go with a yz250 with a 300 bit bore kit and wr gears(longer).

Are you buying new or used?
I figured you cant go wrong with any modern Japanese bike, I will be buying used for sure, Im not really looking into modding the bike. I just want it to be ready to go out and hit trails so thats why I was looking to the 450 instead of having to do any type of kit to the 250 for extra power.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #6

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Honda ftw

MX have stiffer suspension for launching big jumps, tighter gear ratios

Dual Sport/enduro/trail bikes have plusher susp and wide ratio gearing, sometimes electric start
So I should be looking at the off roads than right? I dont plan on catching big air like motoX riders.(I say that now)
Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
I had a yz450f it was great gonna get a new wr450 next. (I never rode the track just trails/fields)
Old 02-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
The "offroad" bikes are designed with headlights larger tanks and in some cases stand more upright. depends on what kind of real riding you want to do, I love my suzuki RM-Z 450. Its a motocross bike but does great on the trails. you just have to adjust your shocks for the terrain which is really easy. has a lot of power its lighter but it does have a small tank 1.1 gal, but i get roughly 80mpg on the dirt! so its really not that much of a pain to refill. If you plan on going on longer voyages they have larger tanks you can upgrade to 2-4 gal tanks depending on the bike and still keep the motocross bike with out all the extra crap. I never see a need for headlights i never plan on riding trails on my dirt bike at night.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
I figured you cant go wrong with any modern Japanese bike, I will be buying used for sure, Im not really looking into modding the bike. I just want it to be ready to go out and hit trails so thats why I was looking to the 450 instead of having to do any type of kit to the 250 for extra power.

I would look into the trail type bikes like the wr450 then, if you got a mx you would mostly likely have to get a bigger tank, revalve the suspension and possibly get new sprockets for longer gears.

Ktm also offers some 2 stroke trail bikes that are pretty cool
Old 02-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
youve got 50 lbs on me. but my dad was the same size as you and he rode a kx 125. he kept up with me alright when in a straight line. ive got a 2006 yz125. i could use more low end power. good choice on a 4 stroke 450. im thinking of upgrading to a 250f.

ive spent some time on a 450f. being 155lbs....it was a hell of a ride
Old 02-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Get the KLX450. It's one BAMF for a trail bike. I'm a Yamaha guy myself though. They are so reliable. They are the "toyota" of dritbikes IMO
Old 02-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Petrol head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
youve got 50 lbs on me. but my dad was the same size as you and he rode a kx 125. he kept up with me alright when in a straight line. ive got a 2006 yz125. i could use more low end power. good choice on a 4 stroke 450. im thinking of upgrading to a 250f.

ive spent some time on a 450f. being 155lbs....it was a hell of a ride
I ride a ported yz250, Im about 165. Ive gotten used to it, my yz125 feels so slow now lol
Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #13

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
The WR450 and KLX450 look like good bikes, as long as they do this we should be good to go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRNAvl8ETC0
Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Petrol head

if you get the chance, try a 450 and a 250 smoker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkgk7Ybnu38
Old 02-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #15

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if you get the chance, try a 450 and a 250 smoker
I dont have any friends here in town that have Dirt Bikes so probably wont be able to ride one. Does 'smoker' mean 2-stroke? Is that what the guy in the vid was riding? It seemed like it had plenty of go but he was a small dude. I guess the power between the 250 2 Stroke and the 450 is pretty close, just easier to maintain the 250. I will keep all these options open and just grab whatever I find a deal on. Thanks for all the helps guys.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
Petrol head

Go here, its a great dirt bike forum.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/
Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #17

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Go here, its a great dirt bike forum.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/

NNOOOO!!!!! I cant go to a dirt bike forum, Ill be too consumed by it then, I need to keep the Taco first in line
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
you'll like the low end power of a 4stroke for trails. sometimes you need to pop that front wheel up to get it over a bump or ditch or whatever and the low end power on the 4 stroke will help bring that wheel up.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
onesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
onesixseven's Tacoma Gallery
duuuude shoulda said somethin at the meet. i race a 2010 yzf450. love it. yamaha all the wya ive had nearly 10 yamis and never once been anything but impressed
Old 02-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #20
Custom Fabrication and Performance
8BoltRacing is on a distinguished road

Name: Jared
8BoltRacing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
I'm a Yamaha guy myself though. They are so reliable. They are the "toyota" of dritbikes IMO
This^^ I personally prefer the motocross bikes because they are lighter and you can get a bigger tank for longer rides but the gears arent tall enough or as widely spaced but going with smaller rear sprocket and bigger front it would be better. The trail bikes dont seem to be as snappy either but I will say the WR450F has tractor like bottom end rides well.