Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

78 CB750 Bobber build, lots of pics

Old 02-13-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
Nick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Comm
Nick701's Tacoma Gallery
78 CB750 Bobber build, lots of pics

Ok well here it goes; I started with a 78 Cb750 that I picked up for 100bucks. 20 bucks later (new plugs etc) and it ran so I started stripping it down. Here is what it looked like when I started and the progress I have made up until now.

I just think it’s to dam ugly...

Strip down progress

Cut the rear seat support area to get a low stance

At this point I was thinking I could keep the rear swing arm and do a simple hard tail, keep the factory tank, add a Springer seat and make things real simple.
Simple hard tail, crappy welds, fire ext oil tank that I could never seal...

Simple seat pan...

And this is what you get

I liked it but wasn’t thrilled.... so I didn’t stop there

Then I found a HD tank that I had liked on other bobber and wanted to go that route

That’s when it hit me…. I don’t like the frame like it is.

And I hated the big block junction where all the frame rails came together, right where the seat is, behind the gas tank.
So I chopped that crap off…

Now calm down cause I know I am going to get some “you screwed up no jigging that frame before cutting” comments. But be patient because that’s what I’m getting to. I may have screwed up buy not cutting it on the jig but it worked out and took a lot of work to fix my saz-all crazy moment. I’m glad I did it too, because it wouldn’t look like it does now if I didn’t chop it up.

This is about 6 months after I started… I found an old server computer rack that I could make a frame out of. It was heavy, square and perfect for what I was going to do with it. Here we go…

Front fork support

Rear axle supports and started on frame rail supports

Getting there

Now all of this took months of work I’m probably at 9months now and it’s all downhill from here. I plan on adding 6in of stretch to the rear and lowering the ride height a little bit.

O yeah I had custom plugs built for the frame tubing, better welding and straight frame rails

Once I built the jig and assembled the frame, I took it to Mike at “Old STF” cycles, so that he could verify my frame was straight and true and to tig weld everything together.

Here is how I got it back…

Finally got to put the tires on and see how I did.

I really like this one because I can see how it flows, I picture it together and how it’s going to work out

Now that the frame was together I started buying the other things I needed

Handle bars, dirt bike, I needed them to clear the tank at full turn, I will be cutting them down 2-3in on both sides after I get proper controls

Biltwell seat and bracket, only new thing on this bike so far

Think its and old BSA fender, I liked the shape but the radius was to big

Fixed fender and this is about where I am now.

Stay tuned for more progress, waiting on oil tank kit and some other stuff. Wish me luck.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
samhain will become famous soon enoughsamhain will become famous soon enough
Name: Brandon
samhain's Tacoma Gallery
I love it. Great job so far.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
subbed. im diggin it so far!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

bizjettech's Tacoma Gallery
WOW.....that is too cool! Nice work, keep us posted. I want to see more pics!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
More into Cafe Racers, but I LOVE your craftmanship. GOOD JOB!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
Nice progress man I like it, subbing for more info when I build mine.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
oldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud of
oldtimertoyota's Tacoma Gallery
When I first saw what you were doing to that classic Honda I was a little unsure but as I scrolled through the pictures I think I see where you're going with it and I must say that it's turning out pretty nice.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #8
Nick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to behold

Nick701's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the great replies guys, im waiting on a few parts to make some more progress but i will keep ya posted
Old 02-16-2012, 02:59 AM   #9

Nick701's Tacoma Gallery
Got my oil tank kit, assorted bungs for mounting tank and fender, mirrors, rotor on its way, tires, light bracket and key soon

for now im gonan get going on the oil tank and fender, stay tuned for progress and pics
Old 02-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #10

Nick701's Tacoma Gallery
Not the greatest pictures but i will take better ones tomorrow, this is what i came up with before work today...

Stay Tuned
Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
hey man sweet build! love what you did with the frame. Looks 100% better imo. looking to bob mine out someday as well. good luck with build, cant wait for more pics! (mine = 79 kawasaki kz650)

Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #14

Nick701's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what I did today

Thank you all for the comments, i will adding more til its done
Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #15
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

very cool.......dig everything except that vertical post supporting the rear fender.....I'd ditch the fender to do away with the support......LOL...... The open wheel look would match the front.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
pretty sweet. i like the fender. are you going to repaint the take too?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #17

Nick701's Tacoma Gallery
I would be afraid of my ass being only inches away from a tire doing 70 on the freeway so I think ill keep the fender lol, I do like the open wheel look though

The gas tank, oil tank, and fender will be painted when its all done
Old 02-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizjettech View Post
very cool.......dig everything except that vertical post supporting the rear fender.....I'd ditch the fender to do away with the support......LOL...... The open wheel look would match the front.
no rear fender = not a good look
Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #20

looks similar