Help Choosing 1st Motorcycle

View Poll Results: Which one?
Hyosung 250 1 4.35%
Kawasaki Ninja 250 9 39.13%
Honda CBR250r 11 47.83%
Honda CRF230 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
ortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eric
ortlie09's Tacoma Gallery
Help Choosing 1st Motorcycle

Hey guy's just looking for what opinions on which first bike I should choose. I'm taking the basic rider course this upcoming weekend, and want to get a bike before summer. I'm gonna be getting a 250 to go to school/work and back, and don't have any plans of even really riding it on the freeway, just mostly surface streets. I have been looking at the Ninja, Hyosung GT250, Honda CBR250r, or possibly the Honda CRF230 in case I want to do some trails. What do you all think is the best beginner bike? I'm mainly looking for a bike that's going to be reliable and won't have many issues. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
ortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh and I forgot to mention I don't mind buying new or used if the right bike comes along.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
If you are going with a 250ish starter bike, buy used since you will probably want to upgrade to a bigger bike after a season and wont lose much $$. Buy new and you will take a big hit when you sell, which you will almost certainly do with a 250.
I have never riden any of those, but I heard good things about the honda and the kawi
Old 02-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Just a suggestion, but if you end up going with the dual sport bikes, you might want to consider the 350's also. The single cylinder dual sports mean you can handle a slightly larger bike, the really light 250 cc bikes are very light for a road bike. Otherwise, your other options seem great for a first bike although I know nothing about Hyosung and who makes their engines.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
honda cbr that is
Old 02-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
If you are going with a 250ish starter bike, buy used since you will probably want to upgrade to a bigger bike after a season and wont lose much $$. Buy new and you will take a big hit when you sell, which you will almost certainly do with a 250.
I have never riden any of those, but I heard good things about the honda and the kawi
How low of mileage should I look for on a used one? I'd prefer it to be relatively low, hopefully not more then 10,000 miles
Old 02-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I'd go for a Kawasaki 500. It's a bit bigger than the 250 (I can't ride the 250), and has more than enough power for the occasional road trip without feeling like you're going to vibrate the thing apart.

Understood that fuel economy and cost are a concern.

Between those listed, for now, I'd stay away from the Hyosung. I'm not as shy about them as I would have been in 2006, but until they become far more well established, I'd be concerned about parts and service availability.
I'd go with either the Kawi or the Honda 250. Both are freeway-legal in California... the 230 is not.

Mileage on a used bike? That's a very tough call. Personally, I'd rather buy a 4 year old bike with 40k on it than a 10 year old bike with 5k on it. So much depends on maintenance and how it was treated.
Stay very far away from any bike that's been repainted, or is equipped with a cage, 6:00 bar, or even frame sliders. While sliders are common "bling"... they are also an indicator that the bike has been stunted.
Wheelies and stoppies are hell on fork seals and other suspension parts.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
well between the ones you have listed i would say the ninja or the cbr.. as mentioned above it might be smarter to get a used one for a couple reasons. 1st if you find yourself wanting to move up to a 600 cc in a year or so you wont lose that much money on a used one.. and 2nd in the chance you lay it down, drop it, or whatever a used one will be cheaper to fix you can find the parts on criagslist most of the time. with that being said the ninja is going to be your best bet. the cbr 250 just came out last year so finding a used one and getting a good deal will be difficult. i would highly recommend staying away from any off brands like the hyosung or other chinese bikes you can find on craigslist. also frame sliders are an EXCELLENT idea.. i dont believe that should be an indcator of a bike being stunted but instead an indicator that someone wants to protect the frame. i am not positive but i have heard that the smallest scratch on a frame and the bike could be totaled.. so some $50 dollar sliders are a good idea.. especially the no cut ones. as for mileage ideas go to kbb.com and click on motorcycle values and look at used put in kawi and ninja 250 it will tell you the average for your area.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
you can get a used ninja 250 and ride the crap out of it for a year or two and sell it for the same price you bought it for. there is always demand for ninja 250s
Old 02-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
I have always wanted a bike ... but wife works at a big medical center and says no or get a bike and a lot more life insurance ...
Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
When i was looking for a 250 my only options were the kawi and hyosung. The hyo had a larger rear tire, dual disc brakes on the front, felt more like a full size compared to the kawi. Came with a 2 year warranty to.(i bought new) I drove the bike for 2 years and never had a problem with it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Hyosung was part of suzuki years ago. Can't remember all the details but i researched the company before i bought.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #12
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
New, go for the CBR250R... great bike AND EFI. Used, get the Ninja 250... manual choke sucks but these bikes are proven rock solid and been around for a while.

The problem with the CBR, as mentioned, is there aren't a lot of used ones available and the MSRP price is far from the OTD price. I had a friend who just Thursday went to get one. MSRP was $4099 and they gave him the rock bottom price OTD of $5500!!! That was in FL though.

I'd find a good used bike and if you should happen to drop it, you'll not be out a lot of money. As for riding, ATGATT... dress for the crash, not the ride.

I'd rather sweat than bleed.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #13

Thanks for the input everyone. I've talked with some more people and everyone says get a used bike, probably a ninja since there are tons of them out there, and don't skimp on the gear!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
yamalarishauler is on a distinguished road

Name: scott
yamalarishauler's Tacoma Gallery
I was encouraged to purchase nothing less then a 650 cc bike when I started, because you will need the ability to avoid the potential autos that don't see us, and we have to accelerate quickly to avoid an accident. My wife took the 3 day rider training course, and was exited to get her own ride. I ride a H.D. Fatboy, and we got her a Honda 750 shadow aero. she did just fine!
( So don't make the assumption you need to start with a 250cc.)

what-ever you end up with, when you ride assume no-one sees you!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
The cruiser world is certainly different from the sportbike world.

While a Ninja-500 or a comparable 600-650 class is a perfect beginner's bike that he won't outgrow in 6 months, anything larger is going to be an issue... as would a 600cc class sportbike (or God forbid supersport).

My first (street) bike was a Vulcan 1600... but I wouldn't dream of learning to ride on a ZX14.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalarishauler View Post
I was encouraged to purchase nothing less then a 650 cc bike when I started, because you will need the ability to avoid the potential autos that don't see us, and we have to accelerate quickly to avoid an accident. My wife took the 3 day rider training course, and was exited to get her own ride. I ride a H.D. Fatboy, and we got her a Honda 750 shadow aero. she did just fine!
( So don't make the assumption you need to start with a 250cc.)

what-ever you end up with, when you ride assume no-one sees you!!!
I've been hearing this more and more lately, and after doing the rider training course the 250s do feel a little slow. And one of my buddies is actually selling his Yamaha FZ6r for really cheap since he dropped it, so I may end up getting that
Old 03-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
Stew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to behold

Name: Stew
Stew's Tacoma Gallery
I am Honda 100% when it comes to street bikes, but the newer kawi 250 is one of the best looking 250's ever and it'll only be temporary so go with that if it were me. Just don't get that ugly ass green go black. All of them are pretty good quality except the hyosung I dunno about.

Good decision starting small, I've seen some guys do some stupid shit starting too big. My favorite story was a big country boy (250+) turned on a backroad in front of me on a cbr1000 (I rode a CBR600) he gunned it so I rolled on hard but I see a sign for a sharp curve, I had never been through it so I slowed considerably but all I saw was a cloud of dirt. He hit the corner too fast got squirly and stood it up right off the road into the far side of a 2 foot deep ditch. I stopped to help. He walked away with only a broken wrist and some dented pride and the bike started right back up(smashed up well). Turns out it was his first bike, only rode it a couple months, but there is no good reason to start on a bike that size, no matter how big you are.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
pdrunk is on a distinguished road
pdrunk's Tacoma Gallery
My first and only bike is a 09 Vulcan 500 LTD. Love it. Was wanting a small 250cc Virago or Rebel, but my uncle convinced me on something bigger.

Perfect for short rides on country roads.

Good luck on your purchase and be safe! Don't skimp on gear and helmets either!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #19
ArMarine04 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Alan
ArMarine04's Tacoma Gallery
dude seriously, get at least a 600. please.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Senior Airman
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
i got my first bike when i was 18, it was an old 81 honda twinstar 200cc i paid 300 bucks for. great little bike for dicking around town on.. learned to ride on it, then joined the airforce sold it to my buddy, then bought a brand new honda rebel 250... paid brand new price for it, put 9000 miles on it in a year and a half... then sold it for a quarter of what i pair for it....

my sister in law bought a 99 ninja 250, those 250 motors are night and day difference to the honda rebel... the ninja is a great bike to learn on, and the used price you can easliy sell it for what you got it for. and it'll keep you out of trouble. i'd drive one now.