1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Choosing 1st Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by ortlie09, Feb 25, 2012.

?

Which one?

Poll closed Apr 25, 2012.
  1. Hyosung 250

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Kawasaki Ninja 250

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Honda CBR250r

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  4. Honda CRF230

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. Feb 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    ortlie09

ortlie09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 4x4
    Debadged, took off front mud flaps, prevent tailgate theft mod, Magnaflow 18" muffler, Bilstein 5100s front and rear w/ front @1.75, wet okoles, plasi dipped front emblem, weathertechs, scangauge, toolbox, Bed pocket lights, BHLM, T1 eyelids, BAMF sliders, Bruteforce Fab rear bumper
    Hey guy's just looking for what opinions on which first bike I should choose. I'm taking the basic rider course this upcoming weekend, and want to get a bike before summer. I'm gonna be getting a 250 to go to school/work and back, and don't have any plans of even really riding it on the freeway, just mostly surface streets. I have been looking at the Ninja, Hyosung GT250, Honda CBR250r, or possibly the Honda CRF230 in case I want to do some trails. What do you all think is the best beginner bike? I'm mainly looking for a bike that's going to be reliable and won't have many issues. Any input is greatly appreciated!

2. Feb 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    ortlie09

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 4x4
    Debadged, took off front mud flaps, prevent tailgate theft mod, Magnaflow 18" muffler, Bilstein 5100s front and rear w/ front @1.75, wet okoles, plasi dipped front emblem, weathertechs, scangauge, toolbox, Bed pocket lights, BHLM, T1 eyelids, BAMF sliders, Bruteforce Fab rear bumper
    Oh and I forgot to mention I don't mind buying new or used if the right bike comes along.

3. Feb 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    If you are going with a 250ish starter bike, buy used since you will probably want to upgrade to a bigger bike after a season and wont lose much $$. Buy new and you will take a big hit when you sell, which you will almost certainly do with a 250.
    I have never riden any of those, but I heard good things about the honda and the kawi

4. Feb 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Just a suggestion, but if you end up going with the dual sport bikes, you might want to consider the 350's also. The single cylinder dual sports mean you can handle a slightly larger bike, the really light 250 cc bikes are very light for a road bike. Otherwise, your other options seem great for a first bike although I know nothing about Hyosung and who makes their engines.

5. Feb 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    honda cbr that is

6. Feb 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    ortlie09

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 4x4
    How low of mileage should I look for on a used one? I'd prefer it to be relatively low, hopefully not more then 10,000 miles

7. Feb 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Personally I'd go for a Kawasaki 500. It's a bit bigger than the 250 (I can't ride the 250), and has more than enough power for the occasional road trip without feeling like you're going to vibrate the thing apart.

Understood that fuel economy and cost are a concern.

Between those listed, for now, I'd stay away from the Hyosung. I'm not as shy about them as I would have been in 2006, but until they become far more well established, I'd be concerned about parts and service availability.
    I'd go with either the Kawi or the Honda 250. Both are freeway-legal in California... the 230 is not.

Mileage on a used bike? That's a very tough call. Personally, I'd rather buy a 4 year old bike with 40k on it than a 10 year old bike with 5k on it. So much depends on maintenance and how it was treated.
    Stay very far away from any bike that's been repainted, or is equipped with a cage, 6:00 bar, or even frame sliders. While sliders are common "bling"... they are also an indicator that the bike has been stunted.
    Wheelies and stoppies are hell on fork seals and other suspension parts.

8. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

11SuperwhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    11 Super White TRD Off Road w JBL
    AFE cai, MBRP cat back, TonnoPro hard folding cover, Weather Tech's
    well between the ones you have listed i would say the ninja or the cbr.. as mentioned above it might be smarter to get a used one for a couple reasons. 1st if you find yourself wanting to move up to a 600 cc in a year or so you wont lose that much money on a used one.. and 2nd in the chance you lay it down, drop it, or whatever a used one will be cheaper to fix you can find the parts on criagslist most of the time. with that being said the ninja is going to be your best bet. the cbr 250 just came out last year so finding a used one and getting a good deal will be difficult. i would highly recommend staying away from any off brands like the hyosung or other chinese bikes you can find on craigslist. also frame sliders are an EXCELLENT idea.. i dont believe that should be an indcator of a bike being stunted but instead an indicator that someone wants to protect the frame. i am not positive but i have heard that the smallest scratch on a frame and the bike could be totaled.. so some $50 dollar sliders are a good idea.. especially the no cut ones. as for mileage ideas go to kbb.com and click on motorcycle values and look at used put in kawi and ninja 250 it will tell you the average for your area.

9. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    you can get a used ninja 250 and ride the crap out of it for a year or two and sell it for the same price you bought it for. there is always demand for ninja 250s

10. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I have always wanted a bike ... but wife works at a big medical center and says no or get a bike and a lot more life insurance ... :eek:

11. Feb 25, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    Project.paradigm

Project.paradigm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil Country,Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    When i was looking for a 250 my only options were the kawi and hyosung. The hyo had a larger rear tire, dual disc brakes on the front, felt more like a full size compared to the kawi. Came with a 2 year warranty to.(i bought new) I drove the bike for 2 years and never had a problem with it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Hyosung was part of suzuki years ago. Can't remember all the details but i researched the company before i bought.

12. Feb 26, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    toyohtadude

toyohtadude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Bone stock
    New, go for the CBR250R... great bike AND EFI. Used, get the Ninja 250... manual choke sucks but these bikes are proven rock solid and been around for a while.

The problem with the CBR, as mentioned, is there aren't a lot of used ones available and the MSRP price is far from the OTD price. I had a friend who just Thursday went to get one. MSRP was $4099 and they gave him the rock bottom price OTD of $5500!!! That was in FL though.

I'd find a good used bike and if you should happen to drop it, you'll not be out a lot of money. As for riding, ATGATT... dress for the crash, not the ride.

I'd rather sweat than bleed. :D

13. Feb 26, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    ortlie09

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 4x4
    Thanks for the input everyone. I've talked with some more people and everyone says get a used bike, probably a ninja since there are tons of them out there, and don't skimp on the gear!

14. Mar 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    yamalarishauler

yamalarishauler Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    eastern wa.
    Vehicle:
    05 pre-runner with a few mods.
    leveling kit installed with a 3in.lift, Carr side steps, ride- rite air bags, bigger tires- b.f.g's, custom ultamate rack for my quads, Kayak rack for boating excursions, seat covers, no emblems on tailgate, even took off the trd decals from the truck bed, ALL BLACK!
    I was encouraged to purchase nothing less then a 650 cc bike when I started, because you will need the ability to avoid the potential autos that don't see us, and we have to accelerate quickly to avoid an accident. My wife took the 3 day rider training course, and was exited to get her own ride. I ride a H.D. Fatboy, and we got her a Honda 750 shadow aero. she did just fine!
    ( So don't make the assumption you need to start with a 250cc.)

what-ever you end up with, when you ride assume no-one sees you!!!

15. Mar 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The cruiser world is certainly different from the sportbike world.

While a Ninja-500 or a comparable 600-650 class is a perfect beginner's bike that he won't outgrow in 6 months, anything larger is going to be an issue... as would a 600cc class sportbike (or God forbid supersport).

My first (street) bike was a Vulcan 1600... but I wouldn't dream of learning to ride on a ZX14.

16. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    ortlie09

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 4x4
    I've been hearing this more and more lately, and after doing the rider training course the 250s do feel a little slow. And one of my buddies is actually selling his Yamaha FZ6r for really cheap since he dropped it, so I may end up getting that

17. Mar 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    Stew

Stew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stew
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 04 Single Cab 2.7 4x4
    2.5in ^, debadged, fog light mod, deck plate, line-x, tool box
    I am Honda 100% when it comes to street bikes, but the newer kawi 250 is one of the best looking 250's ever and it'll only be temporary so go with that if it were me. Just don't get that ugly ass green go black. All of them are pretty good quality except the hyosung I dunno about.

Good decision starting small, I've seen some guys do some stupid shit starting too big. My favorite story was a big country boy (250+) turned on a backroad in front of me on a cbr1000 (I rode a CBR600) he gunned it so I rolled on hard but I see a sign for a sharp curve, I had never been through it so I slowed considerably but all I saw was a cloud of dirt. He hit the corner too fast got squirly and stood it up right off the road into the far side of a 2 foot deep ditch. I stopped to help. He walked away with only a broken wrist and some dented pride and the bike started right back up(smashed up well). Turns out it was his first bike, only rode it a couple months, but there is no good reason to start on a bike that size, no matter how big you are.

18. Mar 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    pdrunk

pdrunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 2.7L
    My first and only bike is a 09 Vulcan 500 LTD. Love it. Was wanting a small 250cc Virago or Rebel, but my uncle convinced me on something bigger.

Perfect for short rides on country roads.

Good luck on your purchase and be safe! Don't skimp on gear and helmets either!

19. Mar 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    ArMarine04

ArMarine04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Beaufort, SC
    dude seriously, get at least a 600. please.

20. Mar 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    ALawrence

ALawrence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Sr5 Double cab 4x4
    i got my first bike when i was 18, it was an old 81 honda twinstar 200cc i paid 300 bucks for. great little bike for dicking around town on.. learned to ride on it, then joined the airforce sold it to my buddy, then bought a brand new honda rebel 250... paid brand new price for it, put 9000 miles on it in a year and a half... then sold it for a quarter of what i pair for it....

my sister in law bought a 99 ninja 250, those 250 motors are night and day difference to the honda rebel... the ninja is a great bike to learn on, and the used price you can easliy sell it for what you got it for. and it'll keep you out of trouble. i'd drive one now.

Products Discussed in

To Top