1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sport Bike Handlebar Conversion kits

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Pugga, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Mar 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    toyohtadude

toyohtadude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Bone stock
    Awesome! They look a ton more comfortable than the stockers. Are you going to consider adjustable rearsets too or ride it like this? Nice!!!

Speaking of brake lines.... just got two HEL kits for mine and my wife's FZ1s. Gotta go get some Dot4 myself now. :D

2. Mar 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    Pugga

Pugga [OP] Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Nah, I'm going to leave the rearsets alone. They're actually in a really comfy riding position already. If I redid them, I'd put them higher and further back but I'm comfortable with them now.

I had one picture that showed the clips and the handlebars side by side but it got corrupted. It really showed how much more rise there is, more pull back and less angle so your wrists are straighter. I'm almost sitting straight up on the bike, just gotta get some new end caps for the bars now. It should be an awesome sport tourer now! :D

3. Mar 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Got some short miles on the bike with the new handlebar kit and it's like a new bike! Very, very comfortable. I need to do something different with my mirrors though. With the wider handlebars, all I can see is my elbow, I can't see anything directly behind me which is a problem. I need new handlebar ends anyways, so I'm thinking of getting a bar end mirror for my left side and a standard cap for the other side. My stock mirrors still work for lane changes.

Edit: After a longer ride to work this morning, I love the new setup! I need to figure out something with the mirrors, they're not safe the way they are now but I'm very happy with the riding position.

4. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    eborgie

eborgie No Yotas Here

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Bellingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Bronco Sasquatch
    Hey Mike, do you find the front end lighter when accelerating? I have heard these bars make the SV a wheelie monster (more than it is already)

5. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Not with the Katana but I can see how it would on a more aggressive bike. The way it makes you sit transfers a lot of your weight further back so on a lighter bike it'd be a LOT easier to pull up a higher powered bike. The Katana is tuned more like a sport tourer, plenty of power but very smooth. Also, the Katana's weight is pretty far forward and low so even though I'm sitting further back, the front end is still pretty heavy.

The kit almost makes the bike feel smaller, like you've got an over-powered MX bike beneath you instead of a 4 cylinder motorcycle. Twisties are a lot of fun, you have so much more control because of the wider bars so throwing it from one corner into the next is very simple.

6. Mar 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    toyohtadude

toyohtadude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Bone stock
    NICE!! Glad it was a successful transformation.

My stock FZ1 mirrors are this way from the beginning. I have to lean a bit to either side to get a view. I've grown used to it and I never rely on the mirrors much and always headcheck regardless. But I know it can be a PITA when you are used to one thing. As for bar-end mirrors, I found those to be just as useless if you get the wrong set. (The higher they stand the better) :D

7. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Thanks for the tip! My mirrors still work perfectly for lane changes, I just can't see anything directly behind me (like some idiot coming up quickly behind me when I'm stopped at a light).

It was a successful transformation, but it comes with some hiccups when done on an older bike. The brake bleed was horribly slow (cylinder froze up) and now I've got an RPM hang (thinking one of the lines may have gotten twisted when being re-routed). I should have everything running perfectly by Thursday! I'd do it again in a heartbeat, it's a LOT more comfortable to ride! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top