Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Sport Bike Handlebar Conversion kits

Old 02-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Sport Bike Handlebar Conversion kits

Do any of you riders have experience with this kit?
http://www.spieglerusa.com/controls/...onversion.html

I'm seriously considering throwing one of these on my Katana. I like the sport bike power and handling but often feel compelled to trade it in on something more comfortable. I think this would be a great compromise for me!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I think I'm going to order one of these kits up. They have a lot of great feedback on a motorcycle forum that I belong to and I think it'll make my bike much more comfortable.

If anyone is looking for motorcycle parts, the guys at MO Powersports treated me very well, answered all my questions and offered me a discount code over the phone (this is all without even placing an order or even committing to placing an order). Rare to find such great customer service these days so I figured I'd pass their name along.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Mean Big Brother
eborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
eborgie's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eborgie
How much does this kit run? I have been feeling the same way about my SV1000S.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #4

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborgie View Post
How much does this kit run? I have been feeling the same way about my SV1000S.
List was $320 for my bike but I found it for $240 shipped to me. The kit for my bike comes with a new top plate for the triple tree, handlebar mounts, LSL bars and an extended SS brake line for the front brakes. Apparently my clutch and throttle cables are long enough for the extended bars without modification.

I'm a member of Katriders and MO Powersports gives a 12% discount to members (apparently the Owner of MO Motorsports is a Mod at KR). His list price was $260 + shipping and I got it for $240

Here's your kit, looks to be a bit more expensive for some reason.
http://spieglerusa.com/handlebar-con...n-kit-4341.htm

I'll put up some posts regarding the install once it comes. Apparently the Katana kit is rare in the US so it could be up to 5 weeks to get.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't numbnutz do this to his GSR-500-F-suzuki-something-or-other?

I searched but couldn't find the thread.

I say go for it. Every one of my buddies who rides sport bikes has loved riding both my old monster and my superduke because of the riding position and the leverage that the bars give you.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #6

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
Didn't numbnutz do this to his GSR-500-F-suzuki-something-or-other?

I searched but couldn't find the thread.

I say go for it. Every one of my buddies who rides sport bikes has loved riding both my old monster and my superduke because of the riding position and the leverage that the bars give you.
That's good to hear! I ordered it a few hours ago

I love the power and handling from the sport bike and I think this will be a welcomed addition to the bike! Should make the bike fun in the twisties
Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
I know someone who did this to his R1 and has no regrets. Be sure to read the footnotes regarding cables, brake lines and body/windshield modifications. Often you'll need to trim something on the bike to get the bars from left-lock to right-lock. Which Katana do you own and what year?

I always wanted the R1 but I'm too old and my back won't take it. Thankfully, Yamaha put out the FZ1 which is VERY comfortable and almost as nimble. Otherwise, it would be an R1, Spiegler kit and adjustable rearsets.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyohtadude View Post
I know someone who did this to his R1 and has no regrets. Be sure to read the footnotes regarding cables, brake lines and body/windshield modifications. Often you'll need to trim something on the bike to get the bars from left-lock to right-lock. Which Katana do you own and what year?

I always wanted the R1 but I'm too old and my back won't take it. Thankfully, Yamaha put out the FZ1 which is VERY comfortable and almost as nimble. Otherwise, it would be an R1, Spiegler kit and adjustable rearsets.
I asked a ton of questions and read as much as I could find on the kit. Unfortunately, the kit for the Katana isn't overly popular over here in the states. Lots of people just buy dirt bike mounts and drill their top plate which I'm not overly comfortable doing for structural purposes. This kit is supposed to be 100% bolt on, no hitting on the fairing or tank at full lock and, if any of your stock cables are too short, they provide them in the kit. My kit comes with a new SS brake line.

I'm running a 2002 Katana 750. Not a bad little bike. I put a Yoshi exhaust and stage 1 intake kit on it to wake it up a bit. It's a very comfortable bike but on long trips leaning forward puts a lot of stress on your wrists and neck so this should make it a great sport tourer! If I could have afforded it, I would have held out for an FZ-1 but I got a great deal on this one a few years back.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I asked a ton of questions and read as much as I could find on the kit. Unfortunately, the kit for the Katana isn't overly popular over here in the states. Lots of people just buy dirt bike mounts and drill their top plate which I'm not overly comfortable doing for structural purposes. This kit is supposed to be 100% bolt on, no hitting on the fairing or tank at full lock and, if any of your stock cables are too short, they provide them in the kit. My kit comes with a new SS brake line.

I'm running a 2002 Katana 750. Not a bad little bike. I put a Yoshi exhaust and stage 1 intake kit on it to wake it up a bit. It's a very comfortable bike but on long trips leaning forward puts a lot of stress on your wrists and neck so this should make it a great sport tourer! If I could have afforded it, I would have held out for an FZ-1 but I got a great deal on this one a few years back.
I looked over some of the Katana sets there and also found none that require mods. Just so happens I chose an '03 750 as an example. Yup, included the brake line. Sweet! Go for it.

If you are looking to get an FZ1, there's several really nice ones in our forum for sale. Not mine or my wife's FZ1s though...
Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sport Rider had a great article a few years ago about doing this to an R1.

http://www.sportrider.com/features/1...ike/index.html
Old 03-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I looked over some of the Katana sets there and also found none that require mods. Just so happens I chose an '03 750 as an example. Yup, included the brake line. Sweet! Go for it.

If you are looking to get an FZ1, there's several really nice ones in our forum for sale. Not mine or my wife's FZ1s though...
I bought the Katana as a temporary 'swing bike' between my old CBR and a more comfortable FZ-1 or BMW GS series bike. I only intended to keep it for a couple years and dump it but I'm on 4 years now and I just can't bring myself to let it go! It's given me 0 problems and it's fun to ride. Maybe I'll get an FZ when I grow up
Old 03-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sport Rider had a great article a few years ago about doing this to an R1.

http://www.sportrider.com/features/1...ike/index.html
Whoa, that is one sexy streetfighter!

I've had a couple crazy moments where I've thought about going streetfighter but I'm not quite there yet... If I ever damage one of the side fairings though, they're gone.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm feeling a lot better about the purchase!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Update, finally got some shipping info on my kit and it'll be at my doorstep tomorrow

Once I get it all installed, I'll put up a review of the kit for anyone else who's interested in going this route.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #14

So you did buy the Spiegler kit?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So you did buy the Spiegler kit?
I did! There wasn't a kit in the US so it came from England I think. I wasn't expecting to see it for another 3 weeks based on the vendor's initial shipping estimate. I had the bike out today and can't wait to get a better riding position
Old 03-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
LSL handlebar kit installed

I still need to install the extended brake line, I didn't have DOT4 brake fluid so I didn't mess with it today. Should be a 5 minute install, a quick brake bleed and I'll be back in action!

Kit review: If it's cold in your garage, you might as well burn the directions, that's about all they're good for. Otherwise, the kit is great quality, fit and finish is exceptional. Just sitting on the bike, it seems like it will be a much more comfortable riding position and would be excellent for a street fighter conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
Sport Bike Handlebar Conversion kits-sdc11510.jpg   Sport Bike Handlebar Conversion kits-sdc11511.jpg   Sport Bike Handlebar Conversion kits-sdc11513.jpg   Sport Bike Handlebar Conversion kits-sdc11514.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
I feel so Devo

Very nice.
It will be interesting to see what you have to say after you ride it some.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Very nice.
It will be interesting to see what you have to say after you ride it some.
I'll pick up some DOT4 fluid today and get the new brake line on tonight. It'll be warm all week here so I'll bring it to work most of the week. I'll post up after I get some miles on it
Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXdoer View Post
Loads of people run pro tapers on sv's that come into cyclegear
Do the SV's have clips like a sport bike? If so, do they just drill the top of the triple camp to mount the bars?