Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Best Rail System?

Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
drtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dru
drtydru's Tacoma Gallery
Best Rail System?

I transport bike on a regular basis and I am just not sold on the plastic tie down system that comes stock on our trucks. I will say it has always worked, but every bump makes me nervous that my bike is going to fall out on the freeway.

My question is what have other members replaced the rail system with? I really would like some sort of steel plate with hooks and points to attach hooks to.

If you could post pics and tell me where you got it from and how much it costed I would appreciate it.

My new baby. 05 Honda RC51

ps thats not my jeep
Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
jizzam93 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kris
jizzam93's Tacoma Gallery
I added extra D-Rings to the bed bolts. There is a writeup in the cheap/free mod section. I have been using that to tie down my R6 with no problems at all. I have seen corner mounting brackets for the railing system as well. But I like the D-Ring mod. HTH
Old 03-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
whereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant future

Name: Don
whereismymind's Tacoma Gallery
http://jpmetalfab.com/products.html

I plan on ordering these and building a front tire rail off of them.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereismymind View Post

I have a set. They hold my quad in place well.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
drtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drtydru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I have a set. They hold my quad in place well.
Are the holes big enough for common size rubber coated hooks? I know thats super vague, but they look kinda small. Ill probably order a set anyway.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
whereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant future

Just placed an order for them. I can post pics when I get them installed.

*edit* I got tracking info about 10 minutes after placing order with JP. That's a good sign.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
Steve J
Steve J is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteve J is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteve J is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteve J is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteve J is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteve J is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteve J is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteve J is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteve J is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteve J is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteve J is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steve J's Tacoma Gallery
My 12 has the hoops down low in the front of the bed for the more secure tie down points. I have transported my 05 Yamaha FJR 1300 numerous times & all the way out to Az & back to AVID Off Road. I have also transported my little 04 Ninja 250 numerous times. No problems with the tie down hoops but if I had to depend on the rack system, I would have added the d-rings to the bed bolts long ago.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtydru View Post
Are the holes big enough for common size rubber coated hooks? I know thats super vague, but they look kinda small. Ill probably order a set anyway.
My straps fit. You could always drill them out some more.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
nice rvt.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #10

drtydru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
nice rvt.
Thanks mang! Its about to get sweeter. I just bought some high mount mid pipes of a guy on my RC51 forum. Oh man I cant wait to get me exhaust SO high! This is my 6th bike I have owned, and my favorite. Nothing moves you like a v-twin. And I just love how they look and sound.

As for the rail system, I have transported my dirt bike numerous times and this RC51 from Moreno Valley up to SF (450 miles) without a problem. The rails work, but I need more assurance with my toys than a plastic rail system. Ill probably pick up a set of those JP brackets.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Drop some D-rings in. What do you think those brackets mount to, the same rails, (although, front and sides) that your afraid of now.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #12
black cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
black cx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereismymind View Post

i have them..they are all rusted
Old 03-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by black cx View Post

So, there stainless rusted? I fully understand that "stainless" will rust, oxidize, or what ever. It's not called stain proof.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by black cx View Post
What rusted the bolts? The brackets are powder coated. Or is it from the tie down hooks chipping off the paint? I'm using mine more for supports to mount a bed bar since I don't have a welder. I'll post pics tonight.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #15

Here are some pics of my JP Metal corner bracket set up. Yes just a 2x4 for now until I can find a piece of steel. Also will us them to mount a CB antenna.
Test fit.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
Turning the knob from H2 to H4/L4
Poke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to all

Poke Tako's Tacoma Gallery
I love my JP brackets. It serves well! ^^^That is a clever idea incorporating a brace onto the JP brackets to chock the wheel. Thanks for sharing the idea .
Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #17

Here is my old version. Two 2x4's with a cheap L-bracket bolted to the bed rail to keep it from bouncing out.