Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Time to trade up... Ninja 250 to GSX-R 750 maybe?

Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #21
dewilmoth is on a distinguished road
Navy: Pilot
dewilmoth's Tacoma Gallery
Get a 675. 750 power, and its the lightest bike in the 600 class. They're also relatively cheap. On top of that they're rare and the build quality isn't shitty.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
3 cylinder right? perfect median. great looking bike
Old 04-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFilter View Post
I realize it's a big jump, but, any experience is better than no experience, as said, some people start riding on a 1000cc bike... I know I'm going to be basically starting over learning to ride the 750 since it's heavier, less agile, more power, etc etc, etc... I rode the 250 for the first 500 miles under 6500 RPMs (under 45 MPH on the 250), I'll probably do something similar with the 750. Slow, non-busy streets, church parking lots, etc... I called the local Suzuki dealer today and will be heading over there tomorrow to see what they will give me on trade-in.
True that any experience is better than none but that was just a word of caution. If you fell that you can be responsible enough to handle the power and spend some time in a parking lot getting used to the bike and the clutch before going out on the road then have at it just know that it is a pretty big jump but it seems to me that you're very confidant in yourself and can handle that bike fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Yeah you'll be fine, just take it easy. It's not like a 2 stroke dirt bike where you're fine one second then on your back the next. It's a 4 stroke inline 4, the power is very linear and predictable.
How me how I know this is true.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #24
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
StaticFilter's Tacoma Gallery
Oh I believe him about there being no 700/750 class, its the fact that i can't see that making a difference in MY situation that bugs me, and I feel like if i was after a 600 and they had a 750 there, they'd try to sell me on the 750... I'm excited, no matter how long it takes, I'll find one
Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #25
dewilmoth is on a distinguished road
Navy: Pilot
dewilmoth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by facemob View Post
3 cylinder right? perfect median. great looking bike
Yes, it is a 3 cylinder. It feels like a mesh between Ducati torque, and Japanese high revving HP. I had a CBR600RR before the Daytona, and the power/torque difference is very noticeable.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
YES! This is what I'll be picking up on Saturday...

As of this Saturday I should be the proud new owner of a black 2011 750 with 3400 miles "Owner purchased new in June 2011, added HID lights, tank protector, and fender eliminator kit (street legal with light). All maintenance has been performed. Like new condition, never down." I'm picking it up for $8900.

I intend to use the bike as a daily driver to work an school while its nice out, but also want to take it to track days this summer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things I should do to it, like is exhaust a must? Am I getting a good deal? Black isn't the color I wanted, but i'll take a black 750 over the overpriced blue/white 600 any day

Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #27
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Exhaust isn't a must but I imagine that the 750 would sound sweet with even a slip on. I'd get some clear turn signal and smoke them, a rear seat cowl, and probably call it done.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
Seat cowl is a maybe, I'll be using the rear seat plenty for my wife, I think I will be getting some frame sliders though for sure. double bubble windscreen? Anything performance-wise I should think about?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #29
Will The Thrill

Quote:
Seat cowl is a maybe, I'll be using the rear seat plenty for my wife, I think I will be getting some frame sliders though for sure. double bubble windscreen? Anything performance-wise I should think about?
Not much you can do to them I wouldn't think but I'm no expert in Suzuki bikes other than some reading and riding done on an SV650. Probably the best thing would be a Power Commander for upgraded engine power, some tank grips, and exhaust for a little better sound over stock. Power Commander will need to come later when you're comfortable with the bike and its powah.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #31
dschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to behold

dschlecht's Tacoma Gallery
There is no way a 250 would beat a 600 in the corners given the same rider ability. 250's are slugs, 600's rev out. A 750 does not keep up with a 1000 on the straights, given both are stock cams.
If you compare a sport 750 to a cruiser 1000, then yes. If you compare displacement apples to apples, the lighter weight of smaller displacement will be a slight benefit in the corners.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #32
dschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to beholddschlecht is a splendid one to behold

dschlecht's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
the 750 is one of the best bikes ever made. it will hang with a 1000 in the straights and blow by them in the corners. That being said its a HUGE jump from a 250 to a 750. like going from a geo to a z06.
Also depends on what 1000's you are referring to. It's gotta be apples to apples. My 1000 will out corner GSXR 750's all day, and demolish them in the straights.

I owned a GSXR 750 for 3 years, have ridden 1000's, hayabusa 1300's, and lots of other bikes. Displacement, cams, components, titanium exhaust, wheelbase, v-twin or inline,etc......all have a huge impact on performance. Its not as simple as engine size or bike weight.

Ride safe folks.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #33
Pick your poison
okie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
okie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Grats on your purchase.

If you havnt yet?....

ignore the go fast & eye candy parts & invest in some good gear.

ATGATT
Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #34
Pavement Princess
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Nice lookin ride! The only thing I would do to that Gixxer is a fender eliminator kit......like this one......http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=10817

I started out on a 250 cruiser many years ago & then jumped up to a GSXR 600.....what a world of difference it was.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #35
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Nice bike, sounds like a decent deal considering they are somewhat rare. x2 on getting gear, a nice leather jacket, good gloves, and a good helmet are priority, although im assuming you have these seeing that you had a bike previous.

Performance wise, a power comander and exhaust will definitely open it up a bit. and when you go to replace the chain, i would definitely recommend a sprocket set. like a -1/+2 or just +2. The sprocket set, powercomander and exhaust are probably the easiest ways to get better performance out of that machine. Windscreen , and shorty levers are always nice also.

good luck. Ride safe
Old 05-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #36
Got the bike, Love it
Old 05-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #37
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
YES! This is what I'll be picking up on Saturday...

As of this Saturday I should be the proud new owner of a black 2011 750 with 3400 miles "Owner purchased new in June 2011, added HID lights, tank protector, and fender eliminator kit (street legal with light). All maintenance has been performed. Like new condition, never down." I'm picking it up for $8900.

I intend to use the bike as a daily driver to work an school while its nice out, but also want to take it to track days this summer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things I should do to it, like is exhaust a must? Am I getting a good deal? Black isn't the color I wanted, but i'll take a black 750 over the overpriced blue/white 600 any day

Congrats on the new bike! It looks great and I'm sure you will be happy with it. Ive always loved the GSXr 750. Good luck and keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.