Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Diving Gloves

Old 04-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
Diving Gloves

Just a tid bit of info I picked up from the SV Forums I have been known to frequent...
I recently purchased a pair of 3mm Neoprene diving gloves for $30 at my local dive shop (they can be had cheaper on amazon) and I was told to use these for cold weather riding. I have been using these gloves ever since... My hands have been numb and painful in the past, but wearing these, I can feel the cold, but it is dulled down to a manageable level. I rode on the highway yesterday in 38 degrees, and it was not bad at all. Now after trying it, I will swear by them. As a plus, they have little rubber grippes on the palm and fingers, and they have a natural curve to them, like a real motorcycle glove. The downside to these gloves is they offer zero protection in an accident, and that could be the deal breaker for some.
These are the gloves on a quick google search:http://www.diveprodivegear.com/m8/54...ne-gloves.html

Mine do not have the wrist strap though. Happy riding!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
That is some good info. I have wondered about "other" solutions; but diving gloves makes the most sense. I'll have to give them a shot when the winter returns to Texas.... so in 10 months. lol
Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! I'll have to pick some up soon. I haven't ridden the bike but 3 times in the past couple months because of the cold in the mornings.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
This year I'm pretty sure there wasn't a week went by I didn't ride at least once. I ran to the liquor store this evening, shorts and tee. I know, but don't wanna hear it.... I've got gear, but it was a last second decision.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe buy a size bigger diving glove and slip it over your normal riding gloves?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
This year I'm pretty sure there wasn't a week went by I didn't ride at least once. I ran to the liquor store this evening, shorts and tee. I know, but don't wanna hear it.... I've got gear, but it was a last second decision.
Care for me to show you the slides of an infected road rash I had in a nursing class a few semesters ago?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
Maybe buy a size bigger diving glove and slip it over your normal riding gloves?
Or the other way.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
Will The Thrill

Quote:
Or the other way.
You could do that but you don't want your riding gear so loose that it'll move around when you go down then you risk it coming off or binding up and breaking something.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #9

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Care for me to show you the slides of an infected road rash I had in a nursing class a few semesters ago?
Nope, I've rode since 1968. I fully know, and experienced the pitfalls, even lost friends. "Most" times I gear up, fully understanding no one expects to go down. But I still will take quick trip across town with few worries, (small town, but still).
Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
Will The Thrill

Quote:
Nope, I've rode since 1968. I fully know, and experienced the pitfalls, even lost friends. "Most" times I gear up, fully understanding no one expects to go down. But I still will take quick trip across town with few worries, (small town, but still).
Ok just as long as you fully understand the dangers you are entitled to do as you like. Sorry about your friends though motorcycles are dangerous by nature and it's just the risk you take and one I'm hoping to take soon.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #11

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
What you thinking of, bike wise? I may need to clarify just a bit, (still doesn't matter, but) all I have now is a Motard, have had some of all, dirt mostly, cruisers, crotch rockets, dual sport... I don't travel, take mostly surface streets, very little, if any highway/major roadways. Mostly buzz through neighborhoods. BTW this is the most fun bike I've ever owned, and if going to "ride" vs running to buddies or the store, full gear, Joe Rocket jacket, JR shoes, gloves, knee pads (old hard-shell off-road stuff) under Kevlar jeans. Again, I've been down, nothing major, knock knock.. Falling, well it takes all the fun out of riding.....
Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
I've worn out several pairs of 7 mm neoprene gloves while diving and I barely touch anything. There's no way that a diving glove will hold up to a slide on a motorcycle. Better to get a waterproof insulated pair of gloves that's made for the purpose.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #13

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ninja 250 '08 or up or 650r years following the injector problem fix '07 up I believe, maybe a 500 that my local dealer has had for at least 4 years that I'm sure I could get a good deal on, or a CBR600rr. I have about 12 years of riding dirt so I'm pretty confidant that I could handle the bigger and more powerful bikes no problem but that's how people get hurt so until I get the money it's all day dreaming.
Edited my post.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #14
Will The Thrill

Quote:
Edited my post.
Oops derp I thought you meant what was I wanting to buy. I'm thinking of my friend who went to mcdonalds in street clothes and while turning out ham fisted the throttle from hitting a bump and went down at around 25mph and got road rash up his back and is scarred from it. Ask any girl who have seen him on the beach and you'll get everything from a knife fight to saving a baby from a fire and a burning truss fell on him. haha
Old 04-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
I've worn out several pairs of 7 mm neoprene gloves while diving and I barely touch anything. There's no way that a diving glove will hold up to a slide on a motorcycle. Better to get a waterproof insulated pair of gloves that's made for the purpose.
well there is no argument there. this is a good cost effective alternative to those that choose not to wear ALL levels of gear. I wear these only when it's cold, and I am still nervous about going down, and if I do when wearing these gloves, I know I am going to regret spending the extra ~$100 on a legit pair of gloves with the appropriate protection.