Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

BT's Bike Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #41
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, Suzuki makes the GSXR 600, 750 and 1000.

Other bikes you should look at are the Ducati 996, 998 and 1098. They are some BadAss bikes with some of the best sound you will ever hear coming from a bike.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #42
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
yep, that 750 is what i was going after when i bought the 1000, just couldnt find any used. and i bet the sv 1000 is super docile compared to the TL. i wouldnt even compare the 2, thats why i was amazed when the reference was made about the SV being the new TL.

And yeah, Krap is spot on, the saftey wiring is to keep any bolts from backing out from vibration. Mainly on fluid plugs but pretty much on every other bolt on the motor... oil pan, headers, calipers, etc. I've cut half them off doing routine maintenance . each bolt head has a small hole in it and there are two wires braided together, one goes thru the hole and one goes around it then they meet back up and are braided together again, they daisy chain from bolt to bolt.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #43
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krap22 View Post
The TL isn't the best/fastest bike out there, but my grin factor is through the roof every time i ride it. Plus, i can show up at bike nights and other bike get togethers and no one has one.
I don not doubt either of these statements one bit.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #44
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, Suzuki makes the GSXR 600, 750 and 1000.

Other bikes you should look at are the Ducati 996, 998 and 1098. They are some BadAss bikes with some of the best sound you will ever hear coming from a bike.
The GSXR is Suzuki's only crotch rocket eh?

True, but aren't Ducati's like the Porsches of the bike world?? I'd hate to have to deal with excessively expensive parts and upgrades.. Plus the initial are and leg cost
Quote:
Originally Posted by facemob View Post
And yeah, Krap is spot on, the saftey wiring is to keep any bolts from backing out from vibration. Mainly on fluid plugs but pretty much on every other bolt on the motor... oil pan, headers, calipers, etc. I've cut half them off doing routine maintenance . each bolt head has a small hole in it and there are two wires braided together, one goes thru the hole and one goes around it then they meet back up and are braided together again, they daisy chain from bolt to bolt.
Even the Engine bolts?? how would you be able to work on them with everything wired like that? You'd have to use wrenches all the time, zero ratchets.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #45

facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Even the Engine bolts?? how would you be able to work on them with everything wired like that? You'd have to use wrenches all the time, zero ratchets.
nah, just say fuck it and cut the wires and never look back. i have no time for the track anyway.

and yeah the gsxr is the only full fairing suzuki sport bike. Any of the current sport bikes made by the big 4 are going to be highly competitive with each other. there are differences, but in terms of overall performance and reliability....kind of the same. however i can never get myself to like the newer kawasakis and i dont know why
Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #46
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I hear you, from what I've seen, not a fan of their styling.

Still thinking R-1 just cause of the longer frame though.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #47

facemob's Tacoma Gallery
thats what i meant to add , the big differences are the rider positioning, although new rear sets can do wonders.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #48
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats what i meant to add , the big differences are the rider positioning, although new rear sets can do wonders.
a corbin seat will make a world of difference too.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #49

*snicker* Corbin seat *snicker*
Old 04-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #50
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
*snicker* Corbin seat *snicker*
lol, didn't even realize it when i typed it out.

One of these will be helpful too

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...et_solids.html

as well as one of these

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...eather_jackets
Old 04-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #51
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Steve ...... that thing looks like a fucking blast. im in shock. i have always liked the idea of ripping around on a European bike with a side car.... now combine that with a sport bike with a ton of torque on tap.... insane. i am jealous
One of the better moments im my life that's for sure lol. The thing was downright scary, Being passenger is the worst.

Quote:
I would like a dual sport DR or KLR
I have a DR650 right now, its pretty sweet for hopping curbs and general street douchebaggery but in the end its a slow heavy pig. One thing it is good at is the twisties though, even with knobies I can almost drag the pegs on a nice paved road.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #52

IT HAS COME TO THIS!!

Utilizing the latest in being kick ass technology, I had PAID OFF MY TACO THIS MORNING!!!

Though a friend of mine informed me I will be paying for taco regardless for the rest of my life..

Seriously starting research, as I plan to be knowledgeable enough to buy in aprox. 2 months or so. Still wanting a street sports/ touring bike I can do a build on. Liking the frame lengths of the Yamaha R-1 (1000cc), but kinda liking the 38 MPG's on the Yami FZ8(800cc) and thinking an 800 will be plenty.

R1 Specs:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...6/0/specs.aspx

FZ8 Specs:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...2/0/specs.aspx
Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #53
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
If you buy a bike that doesn't have the letter R in the model name, your insurance premiums will be cut in half.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
If you buy a bike that doesn't have the letter R in the model name, your insurance premiums will be cut in half.
Also good to know.

I wont sacrifice performance just for looks so I'm open to all makes and models. Kinda thinking a 1300cc Touring bike..

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/180/0/specs.aspx
Old 05-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #55
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also good to know.

I wont sacrifice performance just for looks so I'm open to all makes and models. Kinda thinking a 1300cc Touring bike..

Krappys v-twin is extremely impressive, and I'm quite partial to my Ninja.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #56
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
IT HAS COME TO THIS!!

Utilizing the latest in being kick ass technology, I had PAID OFF MY TACO THIS MORNING!!!

Though a friend of mine informed me I will be paying for taco regardless for the rest of my life..

Seriously starting research, as I plan to be knowledgeable enough to buy in aprox. 2 months or so. Still wanting a street sports/ touring bike I can do a build on. Liking the frame lengths of the Yamaha R-1 (1000cc), but kinda liking the 38 MPG's on the Yami FZ8(800cc) and thinking an 800 will be plenty.

R1 Specs:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...6/0/specs.aspx

FZ8 Specs:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...2/0/specs.aspx
Either of those bikes should get 40+ mpg. Bikes are really bad for mpg depnding on your right wrist. If i drive normally i can get 40-45. If i drive it hard, i get 25.

Quote:
^^ this

Quote:
Also good to know.

that thing is a monstrosity.

Quote:
Marcel, you need to get out and test ride bikes. Especially at your height, there are bikes that may look awesome, but they won't fit you. Sport bikes are designed for guys 5'9" not 6'6". a test ride will be the best way for you to find out what fits you and what makes you grin (huge factor right there, that is why i have a 13 year old pig for a bike).

If you've never ridden a sport bike, anything 600 or bigger will give you a hell of a ride. The 600 will be more forgiving when you hammer on the throttle.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #57
Mean Big Brother
eborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
eborgie's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eborgie
I am 6 foot 5 and can ride this all day. I absolutely love this bike.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #58
DumpTruckTacoma is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
DumpTruckTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Marcel, you need to get out and test ride bikes. Especially at your height, there are bikes that may look awesome, but they won't fit you. Sport bikes are designed for guys 5'9" not 6'6". a test ride will be the best way for you to find out what fits you and what makes you grin (huge factor right there, that is why i have a 13 year old pig for a bike).

If you've never ridden a sport bike, anything 600 or bigger will give you a hell of a ride. The 600 will be more forgiving when you hammer on the throttle.
^^ This.

Don't eliminate any bikes because you think theyre out of your price range. I ride a Ducati myself and have had no "premium" expenses. And these days modern sport bikes R-1, GSXR-1k's are the same price as the European bikes (Ducati, Aprilia, BMW).

The L-twin engines of the Ducatis can put a smile on your face and a stiffness in your pants pretty quickly with their torque and will definitely have a unique deep sound. Unless you favor the bumblebee sound of the Japanese bikes...
Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #59

Quote:
The Ninja is a 600 right??
Quote:
Either of those bikes should get 40+ mpg. Bikes are really bad for mpg depnding on your right wrist. If i drive normally i can get 40-45. If i drive it hard, i get 25.
See I'm not OVERLY worried about MPG's, but considering most all driving I do is regular puttering around town till I want to open er up.
that thing is a monstrosity.
I agree, but the added versatility of the rear box's miiiight be worth it.

Marcel, you need to get out and test ride bikes.
I fully intend on test driving a few, and don't worry, I've had plenty of experience on the 600's. thats why I'm wanting a step up from them. I've got 6 years of having my bike license, and a solid 3-4 years of riding seasons + trying random bikes from time to time. I think I'm mature enough to handle the power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborgie View Post
I am 6 foot 5 and can ride this all day. I absolutely love this bike.
Make/Model? Your pic doesn't show up for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpTruckTacoma View Post
Don't eliminate any bikes because you think theyre out of your price range. I ride a Ducati myself and have had no "premium" expenses. And these days modern sport bikes R-1, GSXR-1k's are the same price as the European bikes (Ducati, Aprilia, BMW).

The L-twin engines of the Ducatis can put a smile on your face and a stiffness in your pants pretty quickly with their torque and will definitely have a unique deep sound. Unless you favor the bumblebee sound of the Japanese bikes...
Honestly I haven't really looked into the "Premium" bikes, I didn't even know they were comparable, I thought they were quite a bit pricier.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #60

Also I want something that I can fit a girl on the back too. God knows I lug enough of them around with me!