Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

BT's Bike Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
BT's Bike Thread

Moving everything from the WTF to here

Planning to upgrade to a 1000cc bike, Yamaha R-1 due to the longer frame length and I'm a tall bastard (6'6"). Any advice?
Old 04-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by F75gunslinger View Post
I owned a Yamaha XS500G when I was 18 or so..sold it and didn't own a bike for 19 years. Rode maybe 3 times in that period and bought this :

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=147085&stc=1&d=1334357 320

I've put 10,000 miles on it with no issues,most of that riding with friends on weekends doing 300-500 mile daytrips.

This bike is an exercise in self restraint. The faster you go the faster it wants to go and it is completely composed at 140mph ( still has almost 50mph left at that point ). My best advice ?

Respect it,as it WILL NOT forgive or suffer foolish control inputs.

My other opinion is that you'll not need to supercharge it or make a whole bunch of performance mods. A bike like this will barely ever be ridden to it's potential anywhere but a track. And even then most people don't have the skill such riding would require.

My bad for the thread jack...back to WTF's !
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerchant3 View Post
Going from a 650 "street" bike to a 1000 is a HUGE step up. Even if you were confident on that 650, you aren't ready for a 1000 imo. Start out with a 600 such as a R6 or cbr. Even going from a 650 to that is a major improvement and a big step up in power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krap22 View Post
just cruising on the highway, about 150 miles. It's a 4 gallon tank. Most sport bikes are around the same size. Mine is a thirsty v-twin. The i-4's may get a little bit better gas mileage, But you will be under 200 miles on a tank. You won't like long distances on the R1. You might want to raise up the handle bars and get a corbin seat, but that will only get you so far before your ass, knees and ankles want to kill you.
Move everything from the WTF Thread to here
Old 04-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #3

Gunslinger, you own an R-1?? What are the +'s and -'s about the bike???
Old 04-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
That TL 1000s that was posted in the OG thread is a bad machine
Old 04-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #5

Wasn't the TL 1000 Kraps machine??

Why is it bad? All my research is from 3 years ago when I was originally going to upgrade to a 1000, little behind on current stuff.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

facemob's Tacoma Gallery
No, no.... Bad ass. Those 2 cylinder race bikes were a good machine. Yeah, a member posted a picture of it. Dont see many since they haven't been produced for some time. A bit more rare than an rc51. I would love to get my hands on one. And you were asking about the R1, a great bike also from what I hear.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
R1's are a good bike, but seem to be a dime a dozen.

The TL1000s is fairly rare and just so much fun. I have a shit eating grin on my face every time i ride it. I've ridden a lot of bikes and none of them have that same sound as the v-twin sport bike. I would love to have an RC-51 as well. There is something about the that sound.

Here is me with my bike at the track. I wish they had picked a better corner to take pics.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
The sound of a TL1000 makes me jizz every time.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:30 AM   #9

facemob's Tacoma Gallery
for real. you can hear one coming, and you know what it is before you see it. Its awesome you have the "s". definitely a rare breed.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I had the pleasure of riding this, its a TL1000 converted to pikes peak side car race bike. The exhaust went through a magnaflow car muffler. Best sounding bike I think I've ever heard.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #11

The dime a dozen thing on the R-1's doesn't bother me, I'll be doing a lot of aesthetics to it. It'l definitely be one of a kind when I'm finished. Much like my Tacoma.

Something tells me I need to hear one of these TL1000's.. I'll check out youtube.

And Steven your link/pic just shows up as a red x. Not sure if it's my work comp or bad link.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #12

facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Steve ...... that thing looks like a fucking blast. im in shock. i have always liked the idea of ripping around on a European bike with a side car.... now combine that with a sport bike with a ton of torque on tap.... insane. i am jealous
Old 04-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Moving everything from the WTF to here

Planning to upgrade to a 1000cc bike, Yamaha R-1 due to the longer frame length and I'm a tall bastard (6'6"). Any advice?
Here's yer advice, fuckin' do eeeet!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The dime a dozen thing on the R-1's doesn't bother me, I'll be doing a lot of aesthetics to it. It'l definitely be one of a kind when I'm finished. Much like my Tacoma.

Something tells me I need to hear one of these TL1000's.. I'll check out youtube.

And Steven your link/pic just shows up as a red x. Not sure if it's my work comp or bad link.
TL1000R > TL1000S.

They're heavy as fuck and not very nible as far as liter bikes go, and they have engine issues sometimes, but fun as fvck.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
TL1000R > TL1000S.

They're heavy as fuck and not very nible as far as liter bikes go, and they have engine issues sometimes, but fun as fvck.
I lovethe R's too, but the at the time i got it, the S was much better for insurance. The S weighs in around 490 lbs wet and I think the R was as heavy if not heavier. That thing is one hell of a work out at the track.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #16

What are the differences between the R's and S's???
Old 04-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #17
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
What are the differences between the R's and S's???
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/tl1...s-tl1000s.html
Old 04-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #18

facemob's Tacoma Gallery
fairings and motor tuning.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
But it doesn't mean the R is any faster

Quote from the link above
Quote:
tls has single throttle body injectors where the R has dual, not a big difference. r has 6pot calipers where as the s has 4. there is quite a bit of small stuff but not a wealth of major stuff. the R is abour 20-25lbs heaver than the S. i have an S with a full sustem on it and some other misc stuff. my friend had an R with a half systerm and some misc stuff. both geared stock. my TLS beat out his R by about 2 bike lengths
Old 04-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #20
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Aw this thread would be so much cooler if it was about dirtbikes