Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Want to buy Honda Shadow to semi-bob

Old 04-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
Want to buy Honda Shadow to semi-bob

I've never owned a motorcycle before, normally ridden ATV's, raced them for a short period of time. I have a bit of experience with dirt bikes, so this whole "riding" thing shouldn't be too hard.

Like the title says I want a honda shadow, preferably one of the smaller ones, 500cc, 600cc, 750cc, Just depends on what I find for a good price. I'm a less-than-wealthy "community college kid" with a full-time job so I'm only looking to spend a couple thousand on this bike. At the same time, I plan on keeping it for several years at least, so I would like for it to be an investment of sorts.

As for the "bobbing" part, even though I could, I don't plan on cutting the frame up and hardtailing it. I saw this article and really liked the end product, although I feel the seat could be a bit lower. And, almost forgot. I'm only 5'3"-4" ish, but I'm not weak by any means. That being said, I would like to keep the bike as low as possible while retaining everyday ride-ability.

http://www.roadbikemag.com/home/1999...bobber-finale/

Old 04-19-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Really like these pipes and handlebars

Old 04-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
that looks good,I would like to get a bike some day as well maybe a Harley Night Train. and mod it to my liking. Wish u the best.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
i have an 85 honda shadow 700, it has gone through various stages. stock, bobbed, not as bobbed. its fun.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Creeper

The trouble seems to be finding one I like in my price range...
Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
I think i picked up my 85 for $900, i'm probably 1000 into it now. I don't suggest going that old. 1. no one makes aftermarket parts for it, i had to basically fab everything myself for that bike. 2. no one makes replacement parts, i'm having to buy used parts to keep it running.

i'd look at the newer 750's or 600's, there is a strong aftermarket availability for them. i've seen a lot of people do some crazy things with the 600s, they can be had for relatively cheap. check out shadowriders.net at all?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
I think i picked up my 85 for $900, i'm probably 1000 into it now. I don't suggest going that old. 1. no one makes aftermarket parts for it, i had to basically fab everything myself for that bike. 2. no one makes replacement parts, i'm having to buy used parts to keep it running.

i'd look at the newer 750's or 600's, there is a strong aftermarket availability for them. i've seen a lot of people do some crazy things with the 600s, they can be had for relatively cheap. check out shadowriders.net at all?

I'm kinda leaning towards the 600's, the 750's a little less. What years we talking? Gonna check out shadowriders now.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
i think i've seen 90's 600s for anywhere from 1000 on up to what people wish they could get for them lol
Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
i cant find the pictures of it on shadowriders but this is by far one of my favorite vlx600 bobbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JENKlZA-GEs
Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
Creeper

^^That thing is bad ass. I love the rake and ride height. Stock length forks? Tire sizes? Need to find that thread, bro!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
lol i'll see if i can dig it up on lunch today. i remember coming across seeing it was forsale and i got linked to the build thread from there.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
Creeper

Very, nice. I'll post up some craigslist finds in a bit
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
heres another good one. a lot of people don't like it, i do.

http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/s...t=tail+customs

heres a bunch more the same guy did.

http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=19981
http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=19981
http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=20314
http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=22283
http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=23354
http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=23766
http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=24662

and i couldnt find that one bikes build thread, but here is their website with their bikes on it.
http://www.tailendcustoms.com/Our-Builds-R245.htm
Old 04-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
Creeper

LOL at all the dirt bike tires.

I like these.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
ratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ratrod's Tacoma Gallery
I will be bobbing a 96' shadow vlx 600 soon. I will give you one bit of advice, buy one that is 99' and newer. After buying mine and reading about it, I found out the 99 and newer have a single carb while old have dual carbs. The dual carb is hard to convert and get rid of that big airbox and factory air cleaner. The single carb you can convert easy. Also, if you notice on the body, the older model has kind of a one piece tail/body assembly under seat that flow well with side covers but when bobbed, you have to replace the side covers with newer model. Otherwise older/ newer no matter, the vlx 600 makes a great looking bobber. The japanese (d-club-jp.net) have some badass bobbers, they have the 400cc version of the vlx called the stead. Have fun, hope you find a good one for cheap.

Instagram pic
Old 05-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Check out bluecollarbobbers.com
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #19
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great. I picked up an 07 Spirit 750 in June (first bike in many moons). It already had some work done to it (pipes, etc.); I've blacked it out a bit and bobbed the rear fender a bit more.

Wish I had some better pics, but here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Want to buy Honda Shadow to semi-bob-shadow1.jpg   Want to buy Honda Shadow to semi-bob-shadow3.jpg   Want to buy Honda Shadow to semi-bob-shadow2.jpg