Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

dual sport

Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #21
Bistineau is on a distinguished road
Bistineau's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
Because they're a tank. Ever try steering a barn door?
My "Barn Door" steers just fine Thank You. Real tight trails make a bit of a handful, but not much of that around here. Lot's of pipelines, ATV trails and gravel roads.
And it does a lot better on the open road than those smaller CC bikes, it can stay at interstate highway speeds when it needs to. Those smaller bikes won't stay there long, your butt will get numb.
Attached Thumbnails
dual sport-0817121754a.jpg   dual sport-0817121755a.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #22
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim allan View Post
I am looking at getting my permit in about 2 months when i have to get my license renewed, thinking of going with a dual sport bike, I am looking at new bikes and the ones that stand out are the klx 250s drz400s and the wr250r

I will for sure want a full pipe and to open them up a bit but the will mostly see road some highway some town, and then hopefully single track and offroad stuff as well

what are your opinions

it will be my first dirtbike and first motorcycle,
What do you have to do to get your permit? I've been kicking the idea around, but haven't made up my mind.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
My "Barn Door" steers just fine Thank You. Real tight trails make a bit of a handful, but not much of that around here. Lot's of pipelines, ATV trails and gravel roads.
And it does a lot better on the open road than those smaller CC bikes, it can stay at interstate highway speeds when it needs to. Those smaller bikes won't stay there long, your butt will get numb.
Oh you're a guy that rides motorcycles. Not to be confused with a motorcycle rider
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #24
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
nice, have you checked you counter shaft spines out yet? Those XR's like to eat them with the lack of a cush drive.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #25
calltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant future
calltrex's Tacoma Gallery
I got a KTM 350exc-f

Awesome bike for off road and on street
Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #26
StuckoYota99 is on a distinguished road

StuckoYota99's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend the drz400, I'm a smaller guy standing at 5 7 and the 650s were a bit too tall. Another thing with this bike is that you can do it all trail highway and road. However if you have never ridden trail practice on a smaller dirt bike to get used to the handling. It worked for me.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
calltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant future
calltrex's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my street legal

Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Needs 17" wheels
Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
nice, have you checked you counter shaft spines out yet? Those XR's like to eat them with the lack of a cush drive.
Yeah, I've already installed a counter shaft sprocket for a XR 650 R in place of the stock one. This is supposed to reduce the C/S wear. I had to do a little grinding on it to get the keeper ring on. Greased it up good when I put it together,too. The C/S sprocket for the R is wider than for the L, that is the reason for the L eating up the splines, but the R sprocket is wider and eliminates the wear factor. Found out about it on 4strokes.com.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #30
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I've already installed a counter shaft sprocket for a XR 650 R in place of the stock one. This is supposed to reduce the C/S wear. I had to do a little grinding on it to get the keeper ring on. Greased it up good when I put it together,too. The C/S sprocket for the R is wider than for the L, that is the reason for the L eating up the splines, but the R sprocket is wider and eliminates the wear factor. Found out about it on 4strokes.com.
cool, yeah I almost bought an "L" when I was looking for a dual sport so I researched all that stuff. I ended up with a DR so no worries there
Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #31
EEKANOUSE is on a distinguished road
Name: will
EEKANOUSE's Tacoma Gallery
Drz400 are pigs that wr250 r and x eat for breakfast. The new Honda is a turd too. And the kawi is carburated like the drz. Id recommend the yamaha. If ya don't mind tons of maintenance get a ktm or husky.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
"the soulless ginger"

Depends on the riding you'll be doing. KTM and Husqvarna are strung out machines. If you're a serious rider and have an aggressive riding style they're for you. A DRZ would fit someone with more of a mild mannered riding in mind. If I was going to be in more right woods and single track or just blazing my own path, I would buy a KTM freeride or a Sherco X-trial. Pretty sweet bikes for that purpose.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
Oh you're a guy that rides motorcycles. Not to be confused with a motorcycle rider
You got that wrong, I 'm a motorcycle rider that rides motorcycles.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #34
"the soulless ginger"

Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #35
XxBlackout is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxBlackout is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxBlackout is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxBlackout is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxBlackout is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxBlackout is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxBlackout is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxBlackout is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxBlackout is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxBlackout is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxBlackout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
XxBlackout's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking at getting a Husqvarna TE 510 to match my supermoto. The sumo is a demon around down and in the mountains but is a little squirrely when I take if off road.

If you want something a little more mild, I would look into a DRZ also because there is so much aftermarket available...it's a well rounded and proven machine.

Here's a pic of my SMR510 last season:

Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #36
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on what you plan on riding. Single track, dirt roads, desert/dunes, or true dual sporting.

The DRZ is a tried and tested machine that is a good all around bike. The WR would be a good woods/single track bike, but there are other bikes out there that I would get before the WR. KTM or Husky to name a couple. Steer clear of the 230L. That thing is a turd. Sucks on the road, its power is shit, and its suspension felt like ass. My buddy had one, I rode it, and immediately wanted to get back on my 13 y/o 250.

The 650L is a dual sport. Good for dirt roads and does quite well on the street, not the best for tight stuff at all. The 650R is a tank, as are all the XRRs. Bulletproof, easily controllable power for beginners, but have plenty of power, and I mean plenty. I rode the shit out of my 650R, on street and off. It's a handful in the tight stuff, but hard to beat its all around use if you want a bike you can go over 60mph on the road with, take in tight stuff, ride hard and put up wet, and not break the bank. As will all XRRs though, they don't make them anymore, and they are all kick-start only. (US models)

The big thumpers are amazing bikes, and good riders will eat all the self proclaimed "good riders" up with them. I am neither, I just ride and leave the shit talking to people who care. Def don't count them out unless you want to do some serious riding off the beaten path.

It's all about your ability though. A 400 is a good bike to get if you're just starting out, and want to ride some basic single track and still be able to cruise to work. Also seem to be the bikes of choice for the more popular dual sport rides (see TAT) and long trips that require a nimble bike. I took my 650R on some trips and there were times when I was in soft ass sand on single track and wished I was on my 250. Yet again, I just got back from NZ, and saw a guy riding pillion on his 650R is shiz I'd struggle, along with lots of others, in a 250.

With all that said, get a USED bike first, learn all you can, and then go from there. Good chance your first bike won't be your last.

EDIT* Just saw you are in Apex. There are a lot of riders in that area. Go onto ADVRider and look for the Fayetteville thread. Lots of good riders that ride a lot, and can help you out. You'll end up drinking the orange kool-aid hanging with that bunch.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #37
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
idk much about dual sport. but i would probably street legal a CRF450R, or get a supermoto. you do see quite a bit of supper motto’s and dual sports on us129(aka the tail of the dragon)
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #38
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
idk much about dual sport. but i would probably street legal a CRF450R, or get a supermoto. you do see quite a bit of supper mottoís and dual sports on us129(aka the tail of the dragon)
Would be better off on many levels getting a 400-500 bike that comes street legal then jumping through the hopes with a CRF450 getting it street legal and road worthy.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #39
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Would be better off on many levels getting a 400-500 bike that comes street legal then jumping through the hopes with a CRF450 getting it street legal and road worthy.
Maybe but itís pretty easy to get them street legal here. each state is most likely different on what all you have to do and stuff. All we have to do is Just have to add head light, tail light and turn signals and get a plate and Class M license.

Iím about to street legal our yamaha rhino for roads 40MPH or less. All i have to add now is turn signals. I have mirror and windshield already, and they come with seat belts and lights. Fill a pice of paper out saying i did everything and $14 and it all done. They donít even inspect it or anything and don't even need DOT tires. ( crf450r can go on all roads.)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #40

That's amazing. Sounds like TN would be a good place to get a PO Box just for converting bikes. Hmm, maybe I'm on to a little business venture with that idea.

Still doesn't change the fact I'd get one of KTM/Husky/Husaberg 450s before the CRF.