Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

dual sport

Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #161
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Tried trading my sport bike for a dual sport last weekend and....

no dice The bike was a DRZ400S, low miles but was set up as a woods bike with very aggressive knobbie tires and was a little too tall for me (I'm a towering 5'9" on a good day). Going to look for something with a slightly lower seat height now... Possibly a supermoto
Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #162
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

no dice The bike was a DRZ400S, low miles but was set up as a woods bike with very aggressive knobbie tires and was a little too tall for me (I'm a towering 5'9" on a good day). Going to look for something with a slightly lower seat height now... Possibly a supermoto

you may be able to get an aftermarket seat that will lower the seat height.

if not i recommend the crf250l
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #163
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
you may be able to get an aftermarket seat that will lower the seat height.

if not i recommend the crf250l
It was overpriced and had the wrong tires on it for me so the seat height was just the final straw. If I find one that I like, I would think even softening the preload on the spring could bring it down enough to be comfortable for me to ride. I did notice a WR250XXL next to it and it seems all they did was make a really dipped seat for really short riders. The thing almost looked like a trials bike!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #164
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It was overpriced and had the wrong tires on it for me so the seat height was just the final straw. If I find one that I like, I would think even softening the preload on the spring could bring it down enough to be comfortable for me to ride. I did notice a WR250XXL next to it and it seems all they did was make a really dipped seat for really short riders. The thing almost looked like a trials bike!

I didn't think the crf was over priced. It's like 4300 bucks new.

Those WR's are sweet bikes.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #165
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You could buy Lowering Links for it... In fact, I just removed lowering links from my DRZ400 because it sat too low...

I'm going to be putting Dunlop 606's on mine which look like an aggressive knobbie tire, but has great street manners.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #166

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't think the crf was over priced. It's like 4300 bucks new.

Those WR's are sweet bikes.
No, I meant the bike I was looking at was overpriced, not a CRF. It was a dealership bike, 2002 DRZ400S and they wanted $3,295 for it. I'm trying to work out a deal with a DR650 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
You could buy Lowering Links for it... In fact, I just removed lowering links from my DRZ400 because it sat too low...

I'm going to be putting Dunlop 606's on mine which look like an aggressive knobbie tire, but has great street manners.
For the right bike, I'd consider lowering links but I'd like to avoid them if possible. I see lowering links as the same thing as a spacer lift for a truck (not quite the same but the same principle). They change how the shock sits but because you still have the same amount of travel, you can bottom out and make the tire contact the body before the shock bottoms out. I'd rather either get a bike that's set up for my height, or respring it for me with the correct weight springs and good oils. New springs can make the world of difference with bikes!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #167

Good choice. The dr650 is a solid bike
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #168
hickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
hickorylarge's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat dude, I'm 5'9" and I wanted a DRZ real bad until I sat on one. I am just not tall enough for that bike. I would hate to drop all this money on one and then have to spend even more lowering it or getting a new seat. I miss the days when they made bikes that were sized for normal people, I don't know what is going on with some of the designs they have been coming out with, they just keep making them bigger and bigger. I saw one of those new BMW K1000's or whatever they are, and it's so big it barely even looks like a motorcycle at that point. I always thought Hayabusa's looked swollen and ridiculous, but they are starting to look more normal compared to some "beefcake" designs I've been seeing.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #169

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickorylarge View Post
I'm in the same boat dude, I'm 5'9" and I wanted a DRZ real bad until I sat on one. I am just not tall enough for that bike. I would hate to drop all this money on one and then have to spend even more lowering it or getting a new seat. I miss the days when they made bikes that were sized for normal people, I don't know what is going on with some of the designs they have been coming out with, they just keep making them bigger and bigger. I saw one of those new BMW K1000's or whatever they are, and it's so big it barely even looks like a motorcycle at that point. I always thought Hayabusa's looked swollen and ridiculous, but they are starting to look more normal compared to some "beefcake" designs I've been seeing.
Check out the 650, it has a lower seat height than the 400. I'm hoping that it'll be a nice size for me. It'll be a little heavier than I'd ideally like off road but that just means I'll have to use the extra power to keep the bike in line
Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #170
hickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
hickorylarge's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the DR650s are nice bikes, that is one I could ride. Or the DRZ supermoto, it's a lot lower than the dual sport model. But if I were buying one I'd rather have the dual sport, I already have a street bike. Good luck with your DR650.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #171
B DIRT is on a distinguished road

Name: John
B DIRT's Tacoma Gallery
I also was looking at the DR650, they are pretty much bullet proof; but I ended up bring home this instead. Loving it so far, now if the dang weather would improve, ended up snowing again up here tonight!!!
2013 250 liquid cooled, can't wait for it to warm up! 10 miles trips are getting old & cold!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #172

B DIRT's Tacoma Gallery
I also was looking at the DR650, they are pretty much bullet proof; but I ended up bringing home this instead. Loving it so far, now if the dang weather would improve, ended up snowing again up here tonight!!!
FWIW I'm 6' on a good day and can flat foot this bike easily.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #173

the new crf is great little bike.

runs perfect like a sewing machine.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #174

B DIRT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the new crf is great little bike.

runs perfect like a sewing machine.
She sounds like one too... Such a quite little thumper!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by B DIRT View Post
She sounds like one too... Such a quite little thumper!

i heard the best dual sports kit really wakes the bike up too
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #176
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Buy my bike or I can trade you mine with some cash....
Old 04-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #177

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
Buy my bike or I can trade you mine with some cash....
PM inbound

Let me know what you have and we'll talk.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #178
pigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pigger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
Nobody plans on going down. And who says its uncomfortable to wear gear? Next time you go for a ride around town stop at your attorneys office and put my name on your will.
I'm an AGATT guy, and it saved my life when a dumb person pulled out from a side road and then stopped, blocking the road. I hit them just behind their rear tire & flew like Superman for a ways. My right boot's buckle broke & that foot was swollen, but nothing broke there. My helmet got scraped very badly, which was better than my head getting pulped. My gloves saved my hands; I lost no skin whatsoever. My pelvis broke in three places, but no gear would have prevented that. My overpants went through 3 of the 4 layers on the right knee & saved the kneecap. My jacket got roughed up, but my chest & back were fine.

When I start riding again I will be a AGATT guy again.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #179
Woah! How did that get here?
EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
I'm planning on purchasing a 13' Honda CRF250L for my first bike, the price is right and it rides nice!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFalco50 View Post
I'm planning on purchasing a 13' Honda CRF250L for my first bike, the price is right and it rides nice!
Good trail bike.