Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

dual sport

Old 05-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
tim allan has a spectacular aura abouttim allan has a spectacular aura about

tim allan's Tacoma Gallery
dual sport

I am looking at getting my permit in about 2 months when i have to get my license renewed, thinking of going with a dual sport bike, I am looking at new bikes and the ones that stand out are the klx 250s drz400s and the wr250r

I will for sure want a full pipe and to open them up a bit but the will mostly see road some highway some town, and then hopefully single track and offroad stuff as well

what are your opinions

it will be my first dirtbike and first motorcycle,
Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Good choice on a Dual Sport. Check into the DRZ400. More power than the 250's, with not much more weight.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I used to have a XT350. It was a lot of fun on and off the road although not quite geared for extended highway runs. It'd hold 65 - 70 but it was screaming to do so.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Iv'e been looking at the wr250x, it's a really nice machine built different than the regular wr250. Want one really bad.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
tim allan has a spectacular aura abouttim allan has a spectacular aura about

tim allan's Tacoma Gallery
I figure that the wr with fmf pipe and pcV will be around 7400

alot of people on advider say that the klx with a big bore is the better of the three
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
WR250 all the way. I have a DR650 and while it's great on the road, offroad is absolutely horrible.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
oldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud of
oldtimertoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I ride a DRZ400, decent bike in general but it is a little heavy when riding off the highway.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimertoyota View Post
I ride a DRZ400, decent bike in general but it is a little heavy when riding off the highway.
exactly, that's why I would go with the 250 if you plan on any offroading at all.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
exploringcarolina will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
exploringcarolina's Tacoma Gallery
We have a 2008 Honda CRF230L. It's a nice bike, but not much power on the road. Normally don't run it over 55MPH on pavement. It's a nice off pavement bike weighing in at 270lbs wet! Good bike to learn on also!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Of those listed, I'd be getting the wr250. I've heard those respond really well to a few mods for more power, and the fuel injection is nice too.
Last summer I bought a 01 wr426 that was street legal, need to reinstall the street legal kit and get my endorsement so I can ride it on the street finally.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stan
Me Likey TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a DR650 and while it's great on the road, offroad is absolutely horrible.
Totally agree. I had one for several years.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
oldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud of
My brother in brother in law rides a TE 250, much lighter and engineered for mostly dirt riding, one disadvantage to his bike is having to stay off the freeways.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
Bajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Remote Duty Paramedic
Bajatacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Decide where you will spend most of your time (off-road, secondary roads, highway) then how much weight you need to carry. If you're going to be off-road most of the time then the smaller, lighter 250s are definitely better, if you will be on the highway step up to a 650. The DRZ is kind of in the middle but still doesn't like highway speeds much.

Budget for a Motorcycle Safety course (usually gets you an insurance break too) as well as proper riding gear before you worry about farkles. Also check Thumpertalk.com for more bike specific threads.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
Zombie Hunter.
evanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Evan
evanwile's Tacoma Gallery
I've got an 08 CRF230L with a Stage 2 dynojet kit, airbox mod, FmF pipe, and a XRSonly desmog kit and the thing is a dream on/off road.

I was disapointed with the power and throttle response from the factory, but after spending about 500$ on it, its a totally different bike. She has just enough guts to get going on the highway, but I wouldnt want to ride between 3 or more exits.

The bike shines off road and loves the back roads. With the jet kit and opening up the intake and exhaust she breathes alot better, and corrects the fatory lean fuel ratio and works very well.

Used you can grab these bikes fairly cheap BUT!!! Keep an eye out this year because Honda is released the new CRF250L that has the same motor as the CBR250 which will be an awesome package.. 250 liquid cooled, fuel injected and a 4 inch higher seat height. I might be trading up lol.

Check out www.hondacrf230l.com/

Cheers.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimertoyota View Post
My brother in brother in law rides a TE 250, much lighter and engineered for mostly dirt riding, one disadvantage to his bike is having to stay off the freeways.

Why no freeway? Here in Cali we need to have at least 180ccs for highway operation, maybe NM is different.

The TE 250 is am amazing bike from what I have heard, if I wanted a small bore DS bike that would be the one, but I want a bike that is setup for off-road with about 1% street, lol.
I actually have a CRF450R that I converted to a DS in Arizona, that thing does just fine on the freeway!

OP: the WR250 would be my choice of what you listed. Lightest most nimble choice, best for a beginner rider, if you get a 650/600 your gonna have a much longer learning curve since it is so heavy and wont respond quickly, and just a tank!
On a smaller bike you will build your skills far faster!
Old 09-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
braaap

It's not illegal to ride a 250 on the freeway here, I think he was just saying it would get pretty buzzy above 55 mph or so.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
It's not illegal to ride a 250 on the freeway here, I think he was just saying it would get pretty buzzy above 55 mph or so.
You got it! That's exactly what I was saying, the freeways here are typically 65 MPH and it is quite buzzy added with basically full on knobs we stick to the smaller roads.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
dfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Goose
dfrugia's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking to get a 250 next year. Driving around town and off road use only. I'll load it up in the Taco if I need to go somewhere.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
why not xr650l?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Because they're a tank. Ever try steering a barn door?