Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Buying a Used Track Bike - 56k Warning

Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Buying a Used Track Bike - 56k Warning

Hi everyone. So not new to bikes, but never been to the track. I would like to limit my consumption of speed to a more controlled environment without as many metal obstacles to dodge.

I am looking at buying a used track bike. Here it is...

2005 GSXR 600

$3500

Clean Title
~ 6000 miles - All track miles
SharkSkin body w/ supberbike tail
Full Yosh Exhaust
Thermosman 20-mil kit on forks
PowerCommander
Woodcraft Clipons
Vortex rearsets
Vortex frame sliders
Vortex rear sprocket
Vortex fairing stay
Woodcraft engine cover
Extreme Tech steering damper
Vesrah front rotors and pads (extra set of RJL will go with the bike- brand new in pack)
Braided front line
Safety wired and ready for the track
Pitbull rear stand
Some other extras included

My concern is that 6000 track miles seems like a lot of wear and tear on the engine and components. The seller says the bike needs nothing, but I'm worried about things like the valves, heads, or fork and rear shock rebuilds.

Anyone have advise for me in on this subject?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know too much about bikes but 6000 only track miles seems like a lie to me cause that would be like 24000 passes which is a ton! And that's if he is only runnin a quarter mile
Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
2012 DCLB
gsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Chief Yeoman
Name: Douglas
gsxrdoug's Tacoma Gallery
If the miles are true meaning 6k on a track alone, that is a lot of abuse, You figure a track is only 2-4 miles long and say you do 30 laps on a race day two races or three then the miles aren't going to add up that quickly and you are hard on it at all times full dive suspension heavy on brakes and even harder on acceleration and how many times has it been on the rev limiter???? Its a race bike and a 600 at that so he had to work twice as hard to get it to move. I personally would pass.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't look at the whole post and the picture didn't pop up on my phone. And now I see that it's not a drag racing bike. I apologize
Old 05-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrdoug View Post
If the miles are true meaning 6k on a track alone, that is a lot of abuse, You figure a track is only 2-4 miles long and say you do 30 laps on a race day two races or three then the miles aren't going to add up that quickly and you are hard on it at all times full dive suspension heavy on brakes and even harder on acceleration and how many times has it been on the rev limiter???? Its a race bike and a 600 at that so he had to work twice as hard to get it to move. I personally would pass.
Looks like he really took care of it, but I have similar concerns. He would have done near 50 track days on this bike.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
6k track miles is a TON of abuse. I wouldn't buy it and not for that price.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
6k track miles is a TON of abuse. I wouldn't buy it and not for that price.
What would you offer?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
What would you offer?
Hard to say without hearing it first. My wife tracks her 600F4i and when she's on the track she is beating the every living piss out of her bike. I mean for a 05 GSXR the prices is good, but I'd be weary that someone swapped out the gauges on it with one that is lower. But this bike has been downed, (How many times who knows).

Again, without seeing it/hearing it in person its hard to say. For me as soon as the bike hits the track and then hits the ground its off my radar. Too many unknown issues can show up with that. I'd offer $2800 and see if he bites. I know here you can go to a few places and get awesome track bikes for $3-4k easy and will be guaranteeing it to run strong. Do you trust the guy? Or do you have a shop you can take it too to have the motor looked at in depth?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Hard to say without hearing it first. My wife tracks her 600F4i and when she's on the track she is beating the every living piss out of her bike. I mean for a 05 GSXR the prices is good, but I'd be weary that someone swapped out the gauges on it with one that is lower. But this bike has been downed, (How many times who knows).

Again, without seeing it/hearing it in person its hard to say. For me as soon as the bike hits the track and then hits the ground its off my radar. Too many unknown issues can show up with that. I'd offer $2800 and see if he bites. I know here you can go to a few places and get awesome track bikes for $3-4k easy and will be guaranteeing it to run strong. Do you trust the guy? Or do you have a shop you can take it too to have the motor looked at in depth?
Nah, I don't have contacts in the bike world. So you're of the opinion that this engine is gonna have some catastrophic failure sooner rather than later?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Bump. Looking for my opinions.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't say that is bad. Maintenance and proper care are far more important than mileage. If you aren't going to track it, why buy it?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I wouldn't say that is bad. Maintenance and proper care are far more important than mileage. If you aren't going to track it, why buy it?
I will be tracking it. That is really the only reason I will be buying it. It's kind of hard to determine proper care without breaking it apart. Don't think I have that ability.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
What am I supposed to put in this box?
ninja28 is a jewel in the roughninja28 is a jewel in the roughninja28 is a jewel in the roughninja28 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force: Classified
Name: Mario
ninja28's Tacoma Gallery
3.5K isn't bad for a used track bike, especially with all those after market parts on the bike. I say go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
Hi everyone. So not new to bikes, but never been to the track. I would like to limit my consumption of speed to a more controlled environment without as many metal obstacles to dodge.

I am looking at buying a used track bike. Here it is...

2005 GSXR 600

$3500

Clean Title
~ 6000 miles - All track miles
SharkSkin body w/ supberbike tail
Full Yosh Exhaust
Thermosman 20-mil kit on forks
PowerCommander
Woodcraft Clipons
Vortex rearsets
Vortex frame sliders
Vortex rear sprocket
Vortex fairing stay
Woodcraft engine cover
Extreme Tech steering damper
Vesrah front rotors and pads (extra set of RJL will go with the bike- brand new in pack)
Braided front line
Safety wired and ready for the track
Pitbull rear stand
Some other extras included

My concern is that 6000 track miles seems like a lot of wear and tear on the engine and components. The seller says the bike needs nothing, but I'm worried about things like the valves, heads, or fork and rear shock rebuilds.

Anyone have advise for me in on this subject?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
What is the sprocket setup? Cause that will give a false mileage indication.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
What is the sprocket setup? Cause that will give a false mileage indication.
Aftermarket rear sprocket, not sure on teeth. True, but it can't really be more than 10%. Plus or minus 600 miles for a bike that's been on a track all its life isn't very significant to me.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd want to run it and see how it performs, make sure it shifts through all the gears smoothly and revs smoothly. Make sure the suspension still holds up well. At $3,500, you can't get hurt too bad if it's in good running condition. I'd try to get him under $3,000 if you can but there is a lot of money in mods that have gone into that bike. Does it come with everything stock as well? If so, then I say go for it, if not, I'd check it over REALLY well. If you think it was downed, that may be the reason for the replacement panels/forks/rearsets may have been because the old ones got seriously trashed in an accident (in which case I wouldn't touch it). Also, if you think it was downed, get the fairings off it and check the frame over for cracking.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #17
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'd want to run it and see how it performs, make sure it shifts through all the gears smoothly and revs smoothly. Make sure the suspension still holds up well. At $3,500, you can't get hurt too bad if it's in good running condition. I'd try to get him under $3,000 if you can but there is a lot of money in mods that have gone into that bike. Does it come with everything stock as well? If so, then I say go for it, if not, I'd check it over REALLY well. If you think it was downed, that may be the reason for the replacement panels/forks/rearsets may have been because the old ones got seriously trashed in an accident (in which case I wouldn't touch it). Also, if you think it was downed, get the fairings off it and check the frame over for cracking.
It doesn't come with stock parts. One thing that's nice is it comes with a clean title, but if I only ride it on the track that doesn't do much for me anyway.

I asked about the damage from it being down. We'll see what he says. He seems like a stand up guy. Great communicator. Open and honest (I think). To note, he uses the ";" appropriately so he is probably highly edumacated.

I wish the '05s came with a slipper clutch though. Would make it a little more track friendly.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Look for a salvage title bike for a track bike, you will get much more bike for your money. The bike you posted has a LOT of track miles, so if you get it, expect to replace engine soon...that being said, one of my track bikes has been goign strong for almost 10K, but I take VERY good care of her, and she is definatly an out lier, I have had to change engines after 5K on others.

One thing to note is ASSUMING those are the tires he ran at his last track day, the owner does not push very hard, there are some large "chicken strips" on her. This could be both a good thing or a bad thing. It could be good in that the owner does not push so they are EASY track miles that were put on her, however on the flip side, it could mean the owner is new and does not know what he is doing very well, so he could wind her out more than he should, mis shift, etc.

All the aftermarket stuff you will not need if you're just starting on the track. Simply pick up a slavage title bike and a set of track fairings. Then start adding aftermarket as you go (as you need them). HIGHLY suggest a damper as well if the bike you choose doesnt come with one.

ANY bike you go for, def check frame, any track bike, and salvage bike HAS been down, no matter what the owner says. If you have a dedicated track bike, it means you do it enough to require a dedicated tack bike, which means you push it enough and HAVE gone down. I have gone down MANY times, though if the frame is ok, and she rides strait, it will be fine, dont sweat it too much. Thats what track fairings are for, to trash them and repair/replace them cheaply.