Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

lookin for first road bike. advice

Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
lookin for first road bike. advice

Here in the next 6-8 months im probably gonna be lookin to buy my first road bike. i have been riding dirt bikes for quite a few years so i know the basics of riding and what not. I'm not much on the crotch rockets and would prefer a cruiser style bike. I would love to get a used harley softail but that might be a bit out of my price range at this point in my life. In your opinion, what would be a good starter road bike? what sized motor would you recommend? any other tips or tidbits you might have to pass on? keep in mind I am not a particularly large person. 5'10" and about 150. let me hear your thoughts and advice. im just now startin the research and lookin phase.

also, what are the things to look for when buying a used bike? is it more or less the same as vehicles?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
This is what Ive been lookning at:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/
Sorry I'm a dirtbike guy but been considering a bike for economy and fun
Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Yamaha R6 so I am not too familiar with cruising bikes, but one thing I can tell you is that years ago when I took the safety class to get my M1, most of the students in the class had been riding dirtbikes for years, and every single one of them either struggled or learned something very helpful during the class. I can tell you from experience, street riding is WAY different than dirt riding. I highly recommend a safety course before you just hit the road. It is a whole new ballpark out there!

I have been riding the street for about 2 years and cant count on all my fingers and toes the amount of close calls ive had. People in cars are stupid and dont look for you on the street. I was in a small accident July 5 2011, t-boned a car in a parking lot that pulled out in front of me real quick. I was only doing about 10mph when I hit, but the way I landed I tore a tendon in my shoulder and did other damage to the same shoulder. It just shy of 11 months since my accident, and I am still not recovered. I had a surgery in February this year, and just found out a few days ago that I will most likely need a second surgery. On the other hand, I had a friend rear end a stopped car while he was doing 90 on the fwy.... he ended up in Riverside County on the 60fwy and his bike was a mile away in San Bernardino County on the 15 fwy... He walked away with just slight road rash and a sprained wrist.

Im only telling you this because it shows that no matter how careful you are, even the most simple accident on the street can be fatal. Sorry I cant help suggest a bike for you, but I just want to urge a fellow rider to be safe, get educated, and practice. I cant stress enough how different the streets are. The are fatal and unforgiving. Get the ride gear, and ride safe! Welcome to the family
Old 05-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
My dad used to have a Suzuki Maurader 800 and it was a nice sized bike for someone your size. I wouldn't go bigger than an 800 for a cruiser because they get a LOT heavier. That 800 would hold highway speeds comfortably but was small enough to still be maneuverable.

I'd sit of a few bikes and see what you find comfortable. A used cruiser 800cc or under shouldn't be terribly expensive.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure if they still make it but suzuki used to make a Savage 650 single cruiser. I would recommend getting a used bike first. Chances are your going to put it down at some point. Might as well give up your offering to the road gods on a used bike.

I know your not much into crotch rockets but Kawasaki makes a great 250 or 500 cc bike and Suzuki has the SV650. I think its one of the all time best starter bikes and can be made into a fire breathing beast if you wanted.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
What would be the chances of riding a dual-sport or supermoto for your first year or two?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Harleys are iconic but I would definitely stick to a metric cruiser. The great thing about alot of cruisers is the fact they are low to the ground. Bad thing is they weigh alot so if you drop it hopefully someone is around to give you a hand getting back to upright. I like the Suzuki Boulevard. I especially like the M109R but that is a bigger bike and more money.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Id say try to test ride as much as you can. If you want a Harley then look for one. There are plenty of people selling used bikes on craigslist and there are deals to be had. My current bike was a used 07 HD Nightster. I bought it last September cheap off a guy who had only put 1400 miles on it.

I do agree with the post above. The road is different than riding dirt bikes on trails. A riders safety course is never a bad idea. Be safe. Good luck with your search.

My wife is very small and rides a Suzuki Savage 650. Very low center of gravity and its easy and fun to ride for a smaller rider.