Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Thinking about getting a dirtbike, few questions

Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Go with a 250 four stroke, im 5'9 and 140 pounds and its perfect for me so it'll be great for you and it has good power in all rpms. I have a kawasaki 250f right now, i had a yz125 2 stroke and it was good but youll like the 250 better! Good luck

edit: if you get a 125 youll want to upgrade later, so just go for the 250
Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #22
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06indigoink's Tacoma Gallery
i love 2 stokes. i would still have one if more people made em. seems they are fading. plus my 450 yamaha runs superb and takes very little maint. it has crazy torque, full fmf exhaust with megabomb header. but i still love 2 strokes.. btw I'm 6' 170 pounds so size doesn't always pick your bike, more about your skill
Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinramsay View Post
Go with a 250 four stroke, im 5'9 and 140 pounds and its perfect for me so it'll be great for you and it has good power in all rpms. I have a kawasaki 250f right now, i had a yz125 2 stroke and it was good but youll like the 250 better! Good luck

edit: if you get a 125 youll want to upgrade later, so just go for the 250
really? damn i thought everyone would say a 200-250 would be to much for a beginner lol
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #24
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
If it were me I'd go 250 4 stroke. Broader range of power,less issues with fouling plugs,easier to ride slowly when needed on trails due to the fact that the 4 stroke will idle along in gear far smoother than a 2 stroke will...easier transition from idle to light throttle.

If you were going to race...I may suggest differently,but for trails,4 stroke FTMFW.

As far as too much for a beginner,just don't forget to have a respect for what the bike is capable of. Keep your head and you'll be fine.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #25
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
really? damn i thought everyone would say a 200-250 would be to much for a beginner lol
Not in a 4 stroke.
Seriously... the debate over "too much" is when the beginner asks about a 250 vs 450.
A 250 2-stroke? Oh hell no... a beginner will end up in the hospital PDQ.

My first bike was my WR250F.
My 2nd bike was a 1600 Vulcan cruiser.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
is one of the sharper tools in the shed
truckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
truckboattruck's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #27
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
this is all great info thanks everyone. time for me to do a little more research
Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #28
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by F75gunslinger View Post
If it were me I'd go 250 4 stroke. Broader range of power,less issues with fouling plugs,easier to ride slowly when needed on trails due to the fact that the 4 stroke will idle along in gear far smoother than a 2 stroke will...easier transition from idle to light throttle.
That's the thing.

2 strokes are great for the track where you're running balls-out all the time, but on the trails, you're going to want to idle around a tight corner between a couple of trees or rocks, and then when you get around and notice the trail is getting a bit soft, you need to pin it to keep the front tire from digging in or washing out.
4 stroke will do that without a problem, just like driving the Taco.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #29
xyourlocaldjx is on a distinguished road
xyourlocaldjx's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a 4 stroke guy all the way, but i'll put that aside and say START WITH A 2 stroke!!! it'll make you an overall better rider.

I started off on a 2 stroke. 4 stroke riders are lazy (as in they stay in one gear and lug it around). 2 strokes you need to be on the pipe, no engine braking so on the brakes hard as well. Constantly shifting and ripping it through the corners.

plus the two strokes are cheap and easy to fix.

I've got an 05 yz125 first year of the aluminum frame. go with an 06 it's got better suspension on it. I also ride a KTM 250sx-f with an 280 ktm kit on it. It's ballzzzzzz!

Not a big fan of yamaha, honda, kawi, suzuki trail bikes. KTMs are bad ass off road. The japanese bikes still lead in mx, but trails is all ktm.

I'll also chime in on handling and suspension. The handling on yamaha's SUCK! the front end tends to push and they wont stay in a rut if their life depended on it. BUT the suspension is super plush and soft and the power isnt as abrupt and is very linear. Great for confidence building.
The KTM 250 has more power and it corners like it's on rails! The suspension on the other hand is garbage. Need to go get it revalved and worked on.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about getting a dirtbike, few questions-610952576317339721.jpg   Thinking about getting a dirtbike, few questions-65756_10150347460600113_502600112_16373956_7478043_n.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #30
diesel30 is on a distinguished road

diesel30's Tacoma Gallery
They've made the ktm's for years and you can probably get a decent one for around $2000. the "w's" in the ktm line are geared higher for a really broad powerband. If you're in 1st or 2nd gear in the woods they're like mountain goats. The electric start on the newer ones doesn't hurt either.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #31
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06indigoink's Tacoma Gallery
i started out with 2 strokes on the trails and always rode em. made me a better rider. i just recently switched over to the 4 strokes.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #32
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyourlocaldjx View Post
I'm a 4 stroke guy all the way, but i'll put that aside and say START WITH A 2 stroke!!! it'll make you an overall better rider.

I started off on a 2 stroke. 4 stroke riders are lazy (as in they stay in one gear and lug it around). 2 strokes you need to be on the pipe, no engine braking so on the brakes hard as well. Constantly shifting and ripping it through the corners.

plus the two strokes are cheap and easy to fix.

I've got an 05 yz125 first year of the aluminum frame. go with an 06 it's got better suspension on it. I also ride a KTM 250sx-f with an 280 ktm kit on it. It's ballzzzzzz!

Not a big fan of yamaha, honda, kawi, suzuki trail bikes. KTMs are bad ass off road. The japanese bikes still lead in mx, but trails is all ktm.

I'll also chime in on handling and suspension. The handling on yamaha's SUCK! the front end tends to push and they wont stay in a rut if their life depended on it. BUT the suspension is super plush and soft and the power isnt as abrupt and is very linear. Great for confidence building.
The KTM 250 has more power and it corners like it's on rails! The suspension on the other hand is garbage. Need to go get it revalved and worked on.
Thats one reason i want a 2-stroke. ive heard it will make you a better rider
Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #33
xyourlocaldjx is on a distinguished road
xyourlocaldjx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats one reason i want a 2-stroke. ive heard it will make you a better rider

plus at 6 foot, 160 lbs you can toss that puppy around like a rag doll. I made the stupidest mistake of getting a 450 after i learned on the 125... I'm 5'5 150lbs... talk about automatic ejection seat! lol
Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #34
diesel30 is on a distinguished road

diesel30's Tacoma Gallery
my weapon of choice for wayne national forest. 2004 yz250 with a full racetech suspension, asv levers, pro tapers, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about getting a dirtbike, few questions-100media36imag0079.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #35
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel30 View Post
my weapon of choice for wayne national forest. 2004 yz250 with a full racetech suspension, asv levers, pro tapers, etc.
does that have a shit ton of power? would you recomend a 250 2-stroke to a beginner?
sweet bike btw
Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #36
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
go 4 stoke on trails. also go 250.

don’t give a 150 a 2nd thought. i have a ’08 CRF150r i got to race did some. but i’m now pushing 5’8’ and 122 and it’s to small for me. power is nice, and i can toss it around very easy! one reason why i wont sell/trade it for a 250 even tho i really want a 250!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #37
is one of the sharper tools in the shed
truckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
truckboattruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
That's the thing.

2 strokes are great for the track where you're running balls-out all the time, but on the trails, you're going to want to idle around a tight corner between a couple of trees or rocks, and then when you get around and notice the trail is getting a bit soft, you need to pin it to keep the front tire from digging in or washing out.
4 stroke will do that without a problem, just like driving the Taco.

please tell me where 2strokes are still relevant in pro mx... on the other hand

russell bobbit
charlie mullins
Nick Fahringer
david knight
steward baylor
brad bakken
Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #38

Quote:
recomend a 250 2-stroke to a beginner?
Only if you have really good insurance and are still young enough to heal quickly
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #39
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Only if you have really good insurance and are still young enough to heal quickly
take that as a no lol
Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
please tell me where 2strokes are still relevant in pro mx... on the other hand
Their irrelevance is more due to the AMA tweaking the classes and rules (including fuel additive restrictions) to run them out of the competition.

In 2006, everyone joked about the 250 class having become "Thumpercross"... but the 125s were still quite competitive in their class, primarily because of the weight advantage.

But the writing was on the wall and the 2005-2007 seasons were the beginning of the end for the pingers.