Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Thinking about getting a dirtbike, few questions

Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #41
diesel30 is on a distinguished road

diesel30's Tacoma Gallery
yes it does. I'm 6' 220 and it will power wheelie in 3rd with me on it once it's on the pipe. The nice thing is you can lug it through the woods and it will pull like a 4 stroke. you always have to respect the power of a 250 2 stroke moto-x bike though. the time when you think you can man handle it is when you get up from your crash with tree branches coming out of your helmet. Don't start with a 250 2 stroke unless you're an experienced rider.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #42
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEricksen View Post

If you are seriously a new/NEW rider, I'd recommend staying away from all of the newer 30-50hp 125/200/250/450 class bikes, and I'd pick up an older XR200 or CRF230 and ride it. A 200/230 4 stroke has plenty of power to pull anyone around when learning.

The air cooled 4 stroke bikes are super forgiving, easy to ride, easy on maintenance, and once you out-grow the bike in 6 months, then start looking at a race-bred trail bike...

...... Just my opinion.
Ive ridden quads my whole life. just not dirtbikes lol
Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #43
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
I understand..... I stand by my previous post.
Ive ridden a KTM 200 xc and it didnt feel like it had an overwhelming amount of power
Old 06-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #44
Firefighter:
Quote:
Again, you keep reinforcing my belief in my recommendation.

A KTM200EXC/XC/XCW has 35+ horsepower, which is more than plenty to get anyone who is not used to a twist throttle/clutch/two wheels into trouble.

It's not the easy, open trail, perfect condition riding where the 200/230 4 stroke is needed, as any bike under good conditions is probably going to be fine. It's when you end up in a rutted out, root infested area, slick conditions, or any time you get yourself out of shape when there is no time to think, only react... much like you've experience on your quad numerous times over the years. The difference is you don't have the muscle memory or co-ordination on a bike to react correctly when split-seconds count.

Turning a quad left requires you to turn the bars left.

Turning a bike left requires turning the bars right.

Just one example.
Good info il keep that in mind. thanks for the input
Old 06-21-2012, 04:21 AM   #45

you stated that you've been on quads all you life. what kind have you been riding? 4x4's or sport quads? do you ride in the woods or the dunes or desert? Are you putting around on them or rippin' it? What skill level would you rate yourself on the quads? that would also have a big part in your decision on proper bike size.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #46
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel30 View Post
you stated that you've been on quads all you life. what kind have you been riding? 4x4's or sport quads? do you ride in the woods or the dunes or desert? Are you putting around on them or rippin' it? What skill level would you rate yourself on the quads? that would also have a big part in your decision on proper bike size.
4x4s, mostly higher elevation riding. not always putting around, sometimes opening it up down the faster parts of the trails. but also crawling in the more technical rock sections
Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #47
GoatFiddyone is on a distinguished road

GoatFiddyone's Tacoma Gallery
You people talking about fouling plugs on a two stroke in the woods either need to twist the throttle a bit or take a refresher on jetting.

I think a 125-150 two stroke is a great bike that can be picked up very cheap. Don't listen to whoever said two strokes only need a rebuild once a year. 2 strokes are way more high maintenance but it's all very easy and not time consuming at all.

A 250 four stroke is also a great bike but it is heavier and it will make you lazy.........if you're coming off of a 125-150 two stroke. Being a beginner, I think you will be fine. The maintenance on the four strokes are fewer and farer between but they are more costly.

My recommendation would be a 125-150 two stroke or a 250 four stroke.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #48

you've got enough riding experience. get the 2 stroke. I still say find a ktm 200. you'll out grow the 125 quickly.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #49
GoatFiddyone is on a distinguished road

GoatFiddyone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you've got enough riding experience. get the 2 stroke. I still say find a ktm 200. you'll out grow the 125 quickly.
I agree.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #50
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatFiddyone View Post
You people talking about fouling plugs on a two stroke in the woods either need to twist the throttle a bit or take a refresher on jetting.

I think a 125-150 two stroke is a great bike that can be picked up very cheap. Don't listen to whoever said two strokes only need a rebuild once a year. 2 strokes are way more high maintenance but it's all very easy and not time consuming at all.

A 250 four stroke is also a great bike but it is heavier and it will make you lazy.........if you're coming off of a 125-150 two stroke. Being a beginner, I think you will be fine. The maintenance on the four strokes are fewer and farer between but they are more costly.

My recommendation would be a 125-150 two stroke or a 250 four stroke.
Thanks for the input, il keep this in mind

Quote:
Ive been looking on craigslist and I have only found a few. They seem to be asking more for the 200 than the 250 four stroke.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #51
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
I might be willing to part with my 08 Suzuki RMZ 450 for 3500 obo. Fluidine radiators and a custom seat. I'd have to pull it out of storage to get pics
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #52
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
I might be willing to part with my 08 Suzuki RMZ 450 for 3500 obo. Fluidine radiators and a custom seat. I'd have to pull it out of storage to get pics
PM sent
Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #53
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Get a 125 IMO, it will take you well over a year to ride one to it's full potential if you ride a lot. It will make you a better rider too.

A RMZ450 is not a good first bike IMO, way too much power.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #54
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Get a 125 IMO, it will take you well over a year to ride one to it's full potential if you ride a lot. It will make you a better rider too.

A RMZ450 is not a good first bike IMO, way too much power.
What do you recomend for a 125?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #55
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
I don't want to read through all 4 pages, but here is my opinion. For the sake of not wasting time or money just get a 250 in either 2 or 4 stroke right off the bat. A 4 stroke 125 is complete shit, under powered, will be too small and will get boring in a year. You will probably grow out of a 125 2t in a year as well.

Overall I would suggest a 250 4 stroke. It is easier to ride, smoother, and more versatile. It is fairly easy to learn on and it will last you a pretty long while before you start to think you might need to upgrade. A 4 stroke 450 is A LOT of bike for a beginner to handle, so I would leave that one out of the equation until you are bouncing off the rev limiter on every gear and/or always searching for more power. That is where a 450 come in. For an experienced rider on a 450 you would be riding at say half throttle where as on a 250 you would be revving out every gear. It just saves wear on the bike.

Now if you are hell bent on getting a 2 stroke then just go find a yz 250 and grow a pair and just learn to ride it and take a few falls. Unless you are 15 I bet you will out grow a 2T 125 in about a year of two then you will be back searching for a new bike. So just pick out a nice yz 250 and stick with it because it will agin, last you for quite some time. I don't ride 250s often so not much insight to actually riding them, but the learning curve is a bit steep but once you get the hang of the temperamental throttle response they are pretty fun to brap around on.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #56
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
I don't want to read through all 4 pages, but here is my opinion. For the sake of not wasting time or money just get a 250 in either 2 or 4 stroke right off the bat. A 4 stroke 125 is complete shit, under powered, will be too small and will get boring in a year. You will probably grow out of a 125 2t in a year as well.

Overall I would suggest a 250 4 stroke. It is easier to ride, smoother, and more versatile. It is fairly easy to learn on and it will last you a pretty long while before you start to think you might need to upgrade. A 4 stroke 450 is A LOT of bike for a beginner to handle, so I would leave that one out of the equation until you are bouncing off the rev limiter on every gear and/or always searching for more power. That is where a 450 come in. For an experienced rider on a 450 you would be riding at say half throttle where as on a 250 you would be revving out every gear. It just saves wear on the bike.

Now if you are hell bent on getting a 2 stroke then just go find a yz 250 and grow a pair and just learn to ride it and take a few falls. Unless you are 15 I bet you will out grow a 2T 125 in about a year of two then you will be back searching for a new bike. So just pick out a nice yz 250 and stick with it because it will agin, last you for quite some time. I don't ride 250s often so not much insight to actually riding them, but the learning curve is a bit steep but once you get the hang of the temperamental throttle response they are pretty fun to brap around on.
thanks for you're input. i will keep this in mind as well
Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #57
xyourlocaldjx is on a distinguished road
xyourlocaldjx's Tacoma Gallery
one must be REALLY "BOSS" to master a 2 stroke 125 in a year...

Pin it to win it on those things.

my vote is 2 stroke 125 (2006 yamaha yz125) Best damn suspension PERIOD on a 2 stroke. 2005 is first year aluminum frame and 2006 is the first year of the SSS forks.

I have a 2005 and regret not getting a 2006. Had no idea they changed the suspension.

my ktm 280 is fun as heck to ride.
Easier to ride my 280 then my 125... if that tell you anything.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #58
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
What do you recomend for a 125?
YZ, KX, SX, doesn't really matter, I'd get a YZ personally.

As stated above, you need to be seriously talented to ride a 125 to it's potential in a year.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #59
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
YZ, KX, SX, doesn't really matter, I'd get a YZ personally.

As stated above, you need to be seriously talented to ride a 125 to it's potential in a year.
Thanks. Ive been searching craigslist for a yz
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #60
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyourlocaldjx View Post
one must be REALLY "BOSS" to master a 2 stroke 125 in a year...

Pin it to win it on those things.

my vote is 2 stroke 125 (2006 yamaha yz125) Best damn suspension PERIOD on a 2 stroke. 2005 is first year aluminum frame and 2006 is the first year of the SSS forks.

I have a 2005 and regret not getting a 2006. Had no idea they changed the suspension.

my ktm 280 is fun as heck to ride.
Easier to ride my 280 then my 125... if that tell you anything.
Doesnt the 2005 have a 5 speed?