Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Thinking about getting a dirtbike, few questions

Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #141
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
Thanks for the input
Have any pics of the 125?
I would just like to clarify a couple things, when people say that they have gone 3 years WITHOUT rebuilding a bike, that IS bad maintenance. When you do that, you are asking for catastrophic engine failure, which can be very dangerous to you. I'm on a race team (havent raced since end of 2011 when I got hired at my current job (in law enforcement) which put a squash to all that) but we would rebuild our race bikes at every 15 hrs. I would say for a beginner, it would vary, but no more than 40+ hours MAX on any 125-250-450, x, f, whatever. Even on my personal bikes, without sponsor support I rebuild them that often.

You cant go wrong with any modern bike, a year or two old. They are all so good, just pick a color and go. I am biased for Yamaha's and Kawis. PM if you want, I bet you my team can help you out a lot. We're on Tv every weekend.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #142
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
I would just like to clarify a couple things, when people say that they have gone 3 years WITHOUT rebuilding a bike, that IS bad maintenance. When you do that, you are asking for catastrophic engine failure, which can be very dangerous to you. I'm on a race team (havent raced since end of 2011 when I got hired at my current job (in law enforcement) which put a squash to all that) but we would rebuild our race bikes at every 15 hrs. I would say for a beginner, it would vary, but no more than 40+ hours MAX on any 125-250-450, x, f, whatever. Even on my personal bikes, without sponsor support I rebuild them that often.

You cant go wrong with any modern bike, a year or two old. They are all so good, just pick a color and go. I am biased for Yamaha's and Kawis. PM if you want, I bet you my team can help you out a lot. We're on Tv every weekend.
Good to know
I wish i could afford a bike that is only a year or two old
Old 07-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #143
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good to know
I wish i could afford a bike that is only a year or two old
Yea once you get a new bike paid for outright, its pretty easy from then on to upgrade every year without losing too much/if anything. Just takes time and $$$
Old 07-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #144
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
Yea once you get a new bike paid for outright, its pretty easy from then on to upgrade every year without losing too much/if anything. Just takes time and $$$
I have time lol not $$$ though
Old 07-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #145
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have time lol not $$$ though
Work more!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #146
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Work more!
I have been I need to sell my quad asap
Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 AM   #147
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You cant go wrong with any modern bike, a year or two old. They are all so good, just pick a color and go. I am biased for Yamaha's and
Kawis. PM if you want, I bet you my team can help you out a lot. We're on Tv every weekend.
Gotta rember he's a beginner so he's not gonna be balls out when he's riding. 15 hours is overkill if you're not racing. Like i said my motor still runs like new and hasnt grenaded yet, but i am gonna do a new top end soon to try and pull out some more power. I cant see anyone blowing a motor on trails like he says he'll be riding. As for bikes i also forgot to mention flywheel weights...alot of guys will use those to tone down 250's for the trails
Old 07-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #148
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Mehhh... My trials bike has plenty of power and the engine sounds tight. No need for new parts til it sounds bad. Plus we're not revvin the ahit out of wm constantly
Old 07-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #150
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
One more thing, you can always consider finding a clapped out late 90's/early 2000's 2 stroke and fixing it up. that's a great way to get into bikes, and plus you'll have a like new bike for 25% of the price and you'll know exactly what you have when you tear it apart. I've been wanting to do that for awhile now.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #151
IrmoRabbidMoose is on a distinguished road

IrmoRabbidMoose's Tacoma Gallery
I definitely love the 2 strokes! They are however a dying breed because of their terrible emissions. The best thing about them is that they're light and you can throw them around especially a 125! I used to have a yz125 and a yz250f and while the 250 had the more consistent power, it didn't have the lightness and it wasn't very fun to ride. The 2 strokes will definitely be more work but at the same time rebuilding a top end can be very cheap if you buy the parts yourself. I rode the shit outta my yz125 in trails and never not one time fouled a plug. Just some food for thought. It's all on how the rider rides. RPM's up and you won't foul any plugs
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #152
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking for the TW of the dirt bike world, thumper talk is the place to be. I'm on there and have found tons and tons o info there. I have about 5x as many posts there as I do here
Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #153
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaKid62 View Post
Gotta rember he's a beginner so he's not gonna be balls out when he's riding. 15 hours is overkill if you're not racing. Like i said my motor still runs like new and hasnt grenaded yet, but i am gonna do a new top end soon to try and pull out some more power. I cant see anyone blowing a motor on trails like he says he'll be riding. As for bikes i also forgot to mention flywheel weights...alot of guys will use those to tone down 250's for the trails
Understandable. I have seen a lot of friends and family who buy used bikes from the "weekend warrior type, never raced and change the oil every 6 months because it still look clean" type, who buy that bike and have something go major wrong within 3 rides if that. Most racers bikes are in prestine condition, with every possible maintenance done. Now compare that to someone go just hosed down their bike before you arrived, the engine is still hot because they had to start it before you got there etc. see what I mean?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #154
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you are looking for the TW of the dirt bike world, thumper talk is the place to be. I'm on there and have found tons and tons o info there. I have about 5x as many posts there as I do here
x2, too bad they ruined it with the site overhaul. It's still awesome though.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #155
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
x2, too bad they ruined it with the site overhaul. It's still awesome though.
I agree they lost a lot of posts as well
Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #156
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a couple different bikes. Currently I ride a 08 YZ450 all set up for off road with a large tank, flywheel weight, guards, exhaust, etc. and the thing is a beast! I only weigh 155-160 lbs, and sometimes it's hard to hang on to the thing...but it is fun Previously I've had YZ125's and 250's and they were awesome for off road riding. I'd make sure the oil was changed frequently, and the air filter was clean, then just go out and ride the crap out of it for two seasons, then throw in a new top end (which is EASY) and just repeat. When I got my 450 I got all worried about valves and the associated cost of replacement etc, so I am extra anal about oil changes/ clean filter. I have an hour meter and do it every 5 hours of run time. I found that I was never that worried with my 2 strokes because if the engine blew it would be a lot less than replacing a 4 stroke engine. It kinda takes the fun out of riding the 4 stroke for me. My wife also has a CRF250X which is a great bike, but requires a lot of maintanence, and I don't find it as exciting as my old YZ125 was, but it is great off road as long as there are no huge hillclimbs. If it were me, I'd look into a nice YZ125 or KTM 200 XC or XC-W and see how you like it.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #157
Firefighter:
Thanks for the info and tips guys. Ive been on thumpertalk a little. As for the KTM 200 xc-w. anyone know what the "w" represents? Ive heard wider power band but ive also heard higher top speed
Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #158
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the info and tips guys. Ive been on thumpertalk a little. As for the KTM 200 xc-w. anyone know what the "w" represents? Ive heard wider power band but ive also heard higher top speed
I believe the W is for Wide ratio tranny. Longer gears
Old 07-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #159
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #160
is one of the sharper tools in the shed
truckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
truckboattruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I believe the W is for Wide ratio tranny. Longer gears
yeah it's 5, 4th and 5th on the w are longer.
source: have a 250xcw