1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Riding with a passenger

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by 2004TacomaSR5, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Jun 29, 2012 at 11:51 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 [OP] Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    This is probably going to sound really stupid, but is it much different than riding solo? What sort of steps/precautions do I need to take? The gf wants to go on a ride on my Harley when she comes back to town. She will be wearing a helmet for sure, I always require a helmet on any of my motorcycles, period. But I am not really sure what else I've got to look forward to, need advice!

2. Jun 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road

Haha, but also good advice on the former stuff. Very true... an inexperienced rider's first instinct is to lean away from the roadway (natural instinct as who wants to become roadkill?), so make sure you start slow, do some slowspeed progressive turns, and let her get the hand of leaning with the bike and you. Also, makes sure she learns where the safe handholds are, and where the unsafe ones are... like yanking on your arms or shoulders. Let her figure out what works for her and you, especially from a stop as you don't want her to go flying off the back if you accelerate too hard. Lastly, make sure she has a good grasp of where the footpegs are (if there aren't any, where she can safely land her feet) and if your exhaust will interfere... you need to make sure her legs are safely protected from the heat and scorching metal of the exhaust pipes.

BTW, probably wouldn't hurt to have her sit with you and watch a safety video on line... Probably something on YouTube or at the MSF website. I know it may seem like overkill, but more info will only make her (and you) more safety conscious before your first, and hopefully not last, ride together. If you love riding, you want her to love riding too if you want this relationship to work out.

Hope you guys have fun! And tell her to drop that top!

3. Jun 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    Okay, thanks for the tips guys! She will definitely have pants on that cover her ankles. I've been scorched before and it is no fun at all. Just the sound and smell of your skin sizzling on that pipe is a little unsettling!

4. Jun 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Tell her to think "backpack.". Be ready for the weight to feel a bit different abut more power than normal to get moving.
    Nice and slow, maybe in a parking lot is a good way/place to start.

5. Jun 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Get her a bike of her own.

6. Jul 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    make sure she wears low cut jeans and a g-string... the driver's behind you will appreciate it...lol

7. Jul 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Tell her to look over your shoulder on the inside of a turn during a corner (If you're cornering left, she should be looking over your left shoulder). Also, tell her to sit still when cornering and coming to a stop as that is when the bike is the most reactive to passenger movement. Lastly, make sure she wears the proper gear, no flip flops, pants, long sleeve shirt or rider's jacket, helmet and gloves (same for you also, all your gear, all the time).

8. Jul 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper

^ This. You don't want to even mention "leaning" to your passenger, as she has no real way of knowing your intentions while on the bike. If she looks over your shoulder in the direction of the turn, she will automatically lean in the right direction without having to think about it... which is better for everyone. The last thing you need is someone else trying to drive. This is how they teach it in the MSF course, and it makes a lot of sense. :)

9. Jul 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    If she has not been on a bike before I would seriously think about you having her ride with a experienced rider. With 2 novices on a bike there is a greater chance of an issue. Myself, I have taken many riders for their first trip. Takes about 30 min with training on turns and stops and proper mounting and dismounting. When my wife and I ride I can't tell she's on the back. Being a relaxed passenger makes it a breeze. I know you want to take her for the first ride but just think about it if she's a newbie too.......

10. Jul 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    Prepare her for what to do should you guys come off the bike the hard way. Let her know it's going to hurt either way but it will hurt less if she doesn't try and brace herself or fight the landing.

11. Jul 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    as long as you aren't a terrible rider you'll be fine. Im assuming she is lighter than you. I've had passengers on my POS DR650 and it did great, it works best if she holds on around you though. Make sure you use passenger pegs.

12. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    HUNT

HUNT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Wildwood Ga
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double cab 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 set @ 0, OME 881,Wheelers 5-leaf, OME NitroCharger Sport shocks, 4-RUNNER LIMITED WHEELS, Duratracs, 265/75/16
    You can buy her one of these...my kids love it.

[​IMG]

13. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    HUNT

HUNT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Wildwood Ga
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double cab 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 set @ 0, OME 881,Wheelers 5-leaf, OME NitroCharger Sport shocks, 4-RUNNER LIMITED WHEELS, Duratracs, 265/75/16
  14. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  15. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    How long have you been riding? If less than 2 years and 20,000 miles, don't.

From mounting/dismounting to handing turns, the passenger is as much a "driver" as the driver.

It's not so much that she needs to lean into the turns, but if she leans against them (VERY common), she'll screw you up and you'll go wide.
    Instruct her to look over your inside shoulder, NEVER look to the outside of the turn... same as you should be doing.
    That will naturally place her body in the proper position behind you, without her thinking "Oh, I need to lean, but now how much?"

But take it super easy. Get some practice with an experienced passenger first.
    Your inexperienced lady should absolutely NOT be your first passenger.

[​IMG]

16. Sep 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    Sorry I haven't checked in this post for awhile. But I have been riding since I was 5 years old on dirt, and just recently started on street. I've rode passengers around on my dirt bikes a few times and didn't have any trouble. My Harley shouldn't be much different I wouldn't think.

17. Sep 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    I plan to take my stepmom for my first passenger ride. She has lots of experience as a passenger.

18. Sep 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The Harley won't be terrible with a passenger. Riding a passenger on a sport bike can get dicey because the passenger sits soo much higher than the driver and has a LOT of leverage and influence on the bike's handling. An inexperienced passenger on the back of a sport bike can cause some serious trouble, even for an experienced rider.

19. Sep 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    A couple of things I would recommend:

1) First off, are you new to riding. You should have at least 1 season's experience riding solo before having a passenger.

2) Tell the passenger to sit like a sack of potatoes. The passenger should NOT lean into the turn or outside of the turn, but to try to keep her body line in line with the bike.

3) When accelerating or breaking, tell the passenger to hold on to your upper torso as low as possible, like lower back/belly button area (not high on you shoulders or upper back). This will ensure their weight will not affect your inputs to the bars.

4) When stopping, tell the passenger to push on your lower back and squeeze your hips with their thighs.

5) Have a couple hand signals in case they want/need to get off. Part of riding with a passenger is to ensure they are safe and comfortable.

6) Leave yourself more stopping room as the added weight will cause you to take longer to stop.

7) Don't just gun the throttle, let them know ahead of time so they don't fall of the back.

8) Put a few more lbs of air in the back tire.

9) If this is their first time on a bike, tell them it is their job to waive at other bikes. Passengers typically love to do that.

10) When time to get on/off the bike, you get on first and off last. Make sure you are really ready when they get on/off. You must tell them ok to get on and ok to get off. It is easy to dump a bike (especially a cruiser) if you are not ready for the weight transfer.

Good luck and ride safe.

20. Sep 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '12 Silver Streak stocker
    A passenger will change the handling of any bike, dresser or bagger, old wing-a-bago or sport bike. More weight is moved rearward, so the bike will be lazy into corners and want to push through the outside of the apex, so you will have to be ready for a change in how the bike feels. It sounds stupid, but maybe strap a bag or two of sand on your pillion and go for a spin to see the difference. I rode solo for 8 years before I let my wife ride two-up with me, and I was never comfortable with it.

Products Discussed in

To Top