Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

CX500 Cafe Fighter Build

Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
white91formula is on a distinguished road
white91formula's Tacoma Gallery
CX500 Cafe Fighter Build

I am going to start a build thread here and update it as I go along. Hopefully you all enjoy what I am doing.

I am going for a cafe fighter as a city bike to get around. Im going for function over prettiness so the finished bike will be "rough" in the fact it wont be flawlessly painted. It will be 100% mechanical however.

I am planning on doing this bike/build in 2 stages. First stage is the cafe build/ mono shock conversion. Second stage which is planned for about 10-12 months after initial build is complete is to turbo it.

I started with this, which had already had some work done to it by countless previous owners. It did have a clear title however and it is a 81 CX500D I got for $300. I am doing this all on a $500 budget including the bike, its going to be close!

Tear down on first day, unbolted as much as possible and took out everything that was absolutley needed for function. The new seat is just sitting on the frame.

Got the cut off wheel out next ... no turning back now ! There was quite a bit of water in the frame on the brake side... was just relieved it wasnt gasoline when it started spewing when i was cutting with the cut off wheels.

At this point I am waiting for parts to arrive, so I will update when I get a little further
Old 07-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
OK a few updates, first my roommate knocked the bike off the center stand this morning getting his bike out to go to work and the tank wasn't attached and went for a tumble... few dents but nothing major

second I have some close ups of where i cut the frame off on the backbone. I ordered some round stock to fill in where the stock spacer runs through the frame.

Lastly since none of my parts have come in yet i started working on the exhaust. I have to give credit to littlehorse cycles build for the inspiration on this one.
It is all tacked together right now, I need to get some more tubing and figure out if I am going to run a muffler or not. Then it will get all welded together.

more to come
Old 07-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, can't wait to see how this goes and you really keep 500dollar budget.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery

I'm interested in the final budget also! I'll be impressed if you can find a decent rear shock that doesn't blow your budget
Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Cool build. Is that a baja sae car in your sig?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

I'm interested in the final budget also! I'll be impressed if you can find a decent rear shock that doesn't blow your budget
got that covered... got one out of a VFR for free! ... well cost me $12 shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Cool build. Is that a baja sae car in your sig?

yes it is, one of the 3 i helped design and built
Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white91formula View Post
got that covered... got one out of a VFR for free! ... well cost me $12 shipping

yes it is, one of the 3 i helped design and built
sweet, Im on the baja team here at NMT, really cool program.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great, thats the bike I learned to ride on. The ad said "babe magnet" so I bought it for $500 back in 1995.

I love the Cafe look and the little CX will make a great little commuter.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
Got some more work done yesterday.

Mounted the shock, made a seat mount/frame and spent countless hours getting everything "straight". Everything is just tacked together for now.

I found a solution for my newely dented tank as well. Looks like there is still some paint on the metal so it isnt bare so I will be keeping it like this. I have already gotten a few comments about it from people have seen it.

next was the shock mounts, ignore the sqaure tubing for now I was "thinking"

Got the seat mounted and also got a new tank mount. I still need to trim the back of the tank mount off and get some more pictures of that once its more "complete" I will also update with some pictures of the seat frame/mounting once its done. Everything is straight and in place I am just not happy with how some of it came out. It was getting late and I had to give up for the day and start fresh another day.

I have two possible spots for where I am going to put my tail light. I am open to opinions! I am leaning towards down low.
And the seat will be getting the mounting hooks cut off and the bottom side painted. And no its not crooked, the seat isnt bolted down so it looks weird.

Enjoy
Old 07-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
How about a 6 or 8" wide LED strip that mounts at the rear of the seat, just below the top of the seat? That way it would hide your seat mounts and could be used as brakes and turn signals all in one (assuming you can find a split LED setup).
Old 07-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
How about a 6 or 8" wide LED strip that mounts at the rear of the seat, just below the top of the seat? That way it would hide your seat mounts and could be used as brakes and turn signals all in one (assuming you can find a split LED setup).

Thats orignally what I was thinking of doing, but I couldnt find anything I liked or would work. That light had tail, blinkers and plate light all built in.

Everything under the seat will be painted black so I think it will all blend together.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white91formula View Post
Thats orignally what I was thinking of doing, but I couldnt find anything I liked or would work. That light had tail, blinkers and plate light all built in.

Everything under the seat will be painted black so I think it will all blend together.
What about something like the VFR tail light?

Also, you gotta hang around the streetfighter or ratfighter forums... Check these out:
http://www.virtualvillage.com/motorc...02511-553.html
or this one:
Old 08-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
too big, im sticking with the light i got.

I have some round stock as well, i am thinking of lowering the whole bike down a bit and replacing the seat frame with round.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #14
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I've been looking for a bike like that to make a project out of, late 70's early 80' 450 or 500. Looking forward to the finished result.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
Nice! I've been looking for a bike like that to make a project out of, late 70's early 80' 450 or 500. Looking forward to the finished result.

Thanks,

My roommate has a 78 CM400 he is going to do a bobber out of, I will post pics of that project as he does that as well.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
dbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brooks
dbkid05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
this looks like it is going to turn into an awesome bike. keep posting pics of the progress, cant wait to see it when it is finished.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #18
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
subbd...............one day one day i miss riding so bad
Old 08-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVtriple View Post
Always jelly of you guys that can just fab shit and make it work. That will be a very cool build when done.
BTW what year is that RC51 in the background??
its a 03, i got sick of lugging that around the city and dont want anything to happen to it either. This one will be my "city" bike and when i ride to the bar on a friday night and have to take a cab/bus home i don't have to worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkid05tacoma View Post
this looks like it is going to turn into an awesome bike. keep posting pics of the progress, cant wait to see it when it is finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD6Speed View Post
subbd...............one day one day i miss riding so bad

Thanks guys. I think the next step is to weld up everything a little more than just tacks and get the bike on the ground under its weight and me sitting on it to see how much it is going to sag and where it is going to sit from there. I know the seat looks angled and high right now but after its down i bet it goes down a bit.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
That's a good start, looking forward to seeing the end result. If you haven't been there yet, go check out cx500forum.com, formerly known as choppercharles. The people there know everything you can know about the cx and gl Hondas.

I'm guessing you're going to go with pod filters, you'll most likely have to reject and adjust the carbs. I'd also plan on putting a muffler on, the cx doesn't like unrestricted exhaust much. Set up correctly you should see around 45 to 50 mpg and a smooth power band from 3000 up to redline. Don't be afraid to rev it, the cx likes to run high for a push rod engine and can cruise at 7000 rpm all day. I know that's not high for a modern sport bike but for a 70's machine that was amazing.

Great bikes, it should last an easy 50 or 60 thousand miles at minimum. Here's mine, set up more as a touring/commute to work bike: