Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Motorcycle tires

Old 07-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Motorcycle tires

So i recently bought a 2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R and i'm getting ready to put new tires on it. I looked online to see what size tires i needed, as well as my service manual, it said 190/50 R17. But the rear tire currently on the bike is a 180/55 R17. WTF? are those sizes interchangeable or what?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
golfpro510 is just really nicegolfpro510 is just really nicegolfpro510 is just really nicegolfpro510 is just really nice

golfpro510's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. You can put either on. But 190 is pointless. Run the 180 and it'll lean so much nicer. And Michelins are the only way to go imo. Just put the road 3 on after having the 2. Wouldn't go to anything else.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome thanks for the reply... I'll probably go with the 180 cuz its cheaper too. I'm goin with the Bridgestone battlax cuz i've been reading reviews and it sounds like it has longer tread life than the Michelin pilot powers.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx586 View Post
Awesome thanks for the reply... I'll probably go with the 180 cuz its cheaper too. I'm goin with the Bridgestone battlax cuz i've been reading reviews and it sounds like it has longer tread life than the Michelin pilot powers.
I've ran both on my tard, MPP's stick better, but the Battle ax (021 I think, maybe 016) last way longer. I guess it kinda depends on how you ride, and how hard you push. And you'll certainly get mixed opinions on lean angles with wider tyres.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #5

Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Yea i'm not gonna be riding super aggressive, lots of hwy miles goin to and from work so longer tread life is a must for me
Old 07-31-2012, 04:17 AM   #6
golfpro510 is just really nicegolfpro510 is just really nicegolfpro510 is just really nicegolfpro510 is just really nice

golfpro510's Tacoma Gallery
If you ride allot of highway you'll want a dual compound tire. That way the center doesn't wear down to fast.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro510 View Post
If you ride allot of highway you'll want a dual compound tire. That way the center doesn't wear down to fast.
x2, if you dont plan on doing aggressive riding, try looking for more of a touring tire, you'll save money and it'll last longer.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, I figure ill chime in from my experience a bit here.

First off, the 180-190 tire size has more to the story that just price. The rim size on bikes bigger than 600cc usually is a 6", 600's are 5.5". The 180 is meant for the 5.5 and the 190 is meant for the 6. This is what the manufacturers of tires use as specifications for street tires. I run a 190 on my 600 because it increases the profile that aids in turn in on the race track. Imagine pushing the sides of the tire together, which creates a steeper angle on the side of the tire. The opposite is also true- if you run a 180 on a 6 inch wide wheel you end up with a flatter tire. That would be best for commuting because there would be a less noticeable "squaring off" of the tire from being upright most of the time. Everyone has an opinion on this but in the end you should try them both out at some point and decide for yourself.

Dual compound tires and not better than touring tires for commuting or less aggressive riding. Dual compounds will give you a firmer center but soft sides. There is no need for a softer compound if you are touring/commuting with the bike. Heat cycles, tire temperature and other factors will influence what tire you put on the bike. You will run through dual compounds faster than touring tires if you use the bike primarily as a commuter.

Just keep in mind that you will get a whole lot of opinions on which tires to run. Peoples riding style are very different and each tire will give you a different feel and wear depending on rider and bike. I cant speak to touring tires as my primary experience lies in track/race tires.

I am not claiming to be an expert but just want to add my $0.02 from what I have seen over the many years of riding in many different settings.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #9

Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
Hey guys, I figure ill chime in from my experience a bit here.

First off, the 180-190 tire size has more to the story that just price. The rim size on bikes bigger than 600cc usually is a 6", 600's are 5.5". The 180 is meant for the 5.5 and the 190 is meant for the 6. This is what the manufacturers of tires use as specifications for street tires. I run a 190 on my 600 because it increases the profile that aids in turn in on the race track. Imagine pushing the sides of the tire together, which creates a steeper angle on the side of the tire. The opposite is also true- if you run a 180 on a 6 inch wide wheel you end up with a flatter tire. That would be best for commuting because there would be a less noticeable "squaring off" of the tire from being upright most of the time. Everyone has an opinion on this but in the end you should try them both out at some point and decide for yourself.

Dual compound tires and not better than touring tires for commuting or less aggressive riding. Dual compounds will give you a firmer center but soft sides. There is no need for a softer compound if you are touring/commuting with the bike. Heat cycles, tire temperature and other factors will influence what tire you put on the bike. You will run through dual compounds faster than touring tires if you use the bike primarily as a commuter.

Just keep in mind that you will get a whole lot of opinions on which tires to run. Peoples riding style are very different and each tire will give you a different feel and wear depending on rider and bike. I cant speak to touring tires as my primary experience lies in track/race tires.

I am not claiming to be an expert but just want to add my $0.02 from what I have seen over the many years of riding in many different settings.

Lots of good info man thanks... I think i'm gonna go with the dual compound bridgestone battlax because even though i'll be primarily riding on the freeway i want the ability to hit up the canyons on the weekends and be able to ride aggressive there.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx586 View Post
Lots of good info man thanks... I think i'm gonna go with the dual compound bridgestone battlax because even though i'll be primarily riding on the freeway i want the ability to hit up the canyons on the weekends and be able to ride aggressive there.
Keep your air pressure higher while doing your commute as it will not give you as big of a flat spot on the tire. Drop the pressure when going through the twisties and remember that street tires have a softer carcass so make sure to research your tire pressures. I would say that you shouldn't go below 30-32 psi on a street tire as the sidewall will fold over on you (compared to the 25 psi-hot that I run my race tire).
Old 08-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #11

Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
Keep your air pressure higher while doing your commute as it will not give you as big of a flat spot on the tire. Drop the pressure when going through the twisties and remember that street tires have a softer carcass so make sure to research your tire pressures. I would say that you shouldn't go below 30-32 psi on a street tire as the sidewall will fold over on you (compared to the 25 psi-hot that I run my race tire).

Will do... thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
More food for thought on the 180/55 vs. 190/50 debate:

The profile is more rounded on the 180/55's than the 190/50. However if you have a 190/55 (commonly available, bit more expensive) you'll have a bigger footprint and more rounded, easier steering profile. Putting a 180/55 on a 6.0 rim is kind of a negative really if you are considering trackdays due to stretching the carcass width-wise...

Here's something to read, but they don't show you how a 180-55 looks on a 6.0 rim...The narrower 180 will be pulled side to side a bit to fit into the rim and kind of negate the overall tire height and make the tires radius (width-wise) not as tall or rounded.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires...ire/index.html
Old 11-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #13
TacoCBR is on a distinguished road

TacoCBR's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the Bridgestone bt023 on for 7k+ miles and still have great tread left. Only problem is i have a nail in the rear tire
Old 11-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
NewbSauce
yog182 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nathan
yog182's Tacoma Gallery
When the Bridgestone wears after a few thousand they become more slick. My ZX6R had one on it when i bought it and i ran it till the cords but could tell when the back end slid around corners and i don't even push that hard.

I am a firm believer of the Pilot Powers 2CT for commuters or if you want to go cheaper get the original PP's.

I just put on a set of race take offs to finish the season in PA which where the Dunlops Sportec 2's.. Really stick and warm up quick.. The 636 is a wheelie monster with these on it!!