Notices

KTM 450 SMR

Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
rafranko is on a distinguished road
Army: civilian, TRADOC
Name: Rob
rafranko's Tacoma Gallery
KTM 450 SMR

anyone out there knowledgeable in the super-moto gone converted street legal world. had every other type of bike and I thought this we be a great toy for around town. anyone with experience with this specific model and/or any other advice in general?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery

I would love to get my hands on a supermoto. I've heard great things about KTM in general, but no personal experience.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
RobbySkateboard is on a distinguished road
Name: Robby
RobbySkateboard's Tacoma Gallery
Right now I have a DRZ400s that I plan on getting a supermoto kit for, but I'd also like to get the KTM 450 in the near future, I haven't ridden the 450 but I've ridden the 525 and loved that. I love my DRZ but I would love to have that 6th gear the KTM among other little things. If you're looking into them I would recommend them, but I also wouldn't ever turn anyone away from the DRZ, both are great bikes, the KTM just has a little bit more power to it. Originally I was going to just do a few expensive things to the DRZ to make it the machine that I want (hot cams, the carb that comes in the pre 04 E model, new exhaust, big bore kit) but that would cost over 2 grand, and for that price I'd rather just put it towards the ktm 450 which is already the bike I want it to be.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
dbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud of
dbratcher's Tacoma Gallery
If i remember correctly the SMR's use the SX engines which means shorter transmissions, small stators and possibly kick start only depending on the year. I would convert an EXC or XCW into a supermoto bike.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbySkateboard View Post
Right now I have a DRZ400s that I plan on getting a supermoto kit for, but I'd also like to get the KTM 450 in the near future, I haven't ridden the 450 but I've ridden the 525 and loved that. I love my DRZ but I would love to have that 6th gear the KTM among other little things. If you're looking into them I would recommend them, but I also wouldn't ever turn anyone away from the DRZ, both are great bikes, the KTM just has a little bit more power to it. Originally I was going to just do a few expensive things to the DRZ to make it the machine that I want (hot cams, the carb that comes in the pre 04 E model, new exhaust, big bore kit) but that would cost over 2 grand, and for that price I'd rather just put it towards the ktm 450 which is already the bike I want it to be.
You can do all thoses mods for WAY less money than listed. The carb was the most pricey, I got my kit from Eddie Senerseros, he also reworked my head. It runs great, but it's no Katoom. My bud just sold his converted 525 EXC. See my pics.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafranko View Post
anyone out there knowledgeable in the super-moto gone converted street legal world. had every other type of bike and I thought this we be a great toy for around town. anyone with experience with this specific model and/or any other advice in general?
I've road/had all sorts of bikes, first in 1969. My little tard is the very most fun I've ever had on a scooter. You don't want to take long rides, as most seats are lacking. But for a around town blast, can't be beat. I rode a SMR (can't remember what size, 640, maybe) was strong, but it "felt" long more like a true street bike, less nimble than my Dizzer. Yamaha WRs make great tards, stay away from the YZ or CRF the Ti valves don't like constant RPMs. SuperMotoJunkies.com is your friend.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #7

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I always thought it would be cool to convert my two stroke ktm 200 xcw over to street legal use, but that two stroke on roads would be terrible. My cousin has a 450 sxf and he road that ten miles to work and back once. Is it street legal? Nope, bone stock. But he was pulling wheelies down the highway the whole way. I think it would be badass to swap that to supermoto.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #9

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I always thought it would be cool to convert my two stroke ktm 200 xcw over to street legal use, but that two stroke on roads would be terrible. My cousin has a 450 sxf and he road that ten miles to work and back once. Is it street legal? Nope, bone stock. But he was pulling wheelies down the highway the whole way. I think it would be badass to swap that to supermoto.
My older brother has a 300 EXC two smoke that would be a bad-assed sumo, but I can't talk him into it. Here's a little vid of a couple guys going at it on a course. A tad slow for the first few laps, guessing they are putting a little heat in there tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUK6...e_gdata_player
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #10
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbratcher View Post
If i remember correctly the SMR's use the SX engines which means shorter transmissions, small stators and possibly kick start only depending on the year. I would convert an EXC or XCW into a supermoto bike.
All true, I had an 06' that was a freakin blast. Your biggest hurdle will be DMV and getting a street legal title for the SMR. I tried mine when I did own it and DMV kept rejecting the application because it was a "race" vehicle only and they were able to determine that by the VIN. You're best bet for a street legal KTM would be the 560. I had a pretty trouble free life while I owned it and it was a hell of a blast to ride at my local go kart tracks.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
dbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud ofdbratcher has much to be proud of
I put this one together last year. Its actually been put back to dirt and the SM kit and the bike are for sale.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #12

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I put this one together last year. Its actually been put back to dirt and the SM kit and the bike are for sale.
Sweet burg. What size is that? Where in N. Alabama are you, that looks a lot like it could be up on Monte Sano mountain? I'm in Muscle Shoals.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) & Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Yamaha WR250X.

Reliability, doesn't cost your left nut to repair when you lay it down like that Euro stuff, oh and it's pretty hard to beat 60mpgs.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
The berg is a 570, to me that bike was too much on the dirt but just right on the street. Good eye, that pic was taken on Monte Sano, im in South Huntsville.
I am sure the little Yamaha 250s are fun, i ride a 250xcf in the dirt, but on the street i would want a little more power. I am not sure about Husky and Gas Gas but KTM parts are priced comparible to the big 4 Jap brands.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
Malek is on a distinguished road

Air Force: ROTC
Name: Malek
Malek's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 04 KTM 450 SMR. It is definitely a tourqey and fun sob but the only "pitfalls" would have to be the maintenance..I ride quite a bit so I'm constantly changing the oil and checking valve clearances. Oh and the tiny gas tank is a joke if you want to go cross country type touring haha

Edit: I originally wanted the wr250x pictured above. Came close to trading my KTM for it..but then came to the realization that I just wouldn't be ok with the lack of power..pay to play I guess haha

Reference Picture:
Old 08-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #16

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The berg is a 570, to me that bike was too much on the dirt but just right on the street. Good eye, that pic was taken on Monte Sano, im in South Huntsville.
I am sure the little Yamaha 250s are fun, i ride a 250xcf in the dirt, but on the street i would want a little more power. I am not sure about Husky and Gas Gas but KTM parts are priced comparible to the big 4 Jap brands.
I thought it looked familiar. Prolly a cool place to squirt around. Used to mountain bike up there a lot, before getting old and fat. Why you selling, I'm thinking the same since bud sold out on me and I have no on to bash with.