Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

What bike is right for me?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
As far as usage, with weather permitting I was planning on riding 5x/week spring-autumn. I'm going to use the taco for driving in heavier traffic; shortest rides on the bike would be to Foxboro (10 miles, local roads @40mph) as well as highway trips to Newport and Foxwoods (80 miles all Interstate) during times when there's light traffic til I'm more comfortable. That's one-way, so double for round trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
If the dealer does a proper PDI you'll be okay, but I would still pull the tank and snug the hose clamps down.

With EPA regs, it's only a matter of time before Harley and Victory are forced to go to liquid cooling.
I've added the Marauder to my list of bikes to look at, keep the suggestions coming! Guess I have to do a lot more reading up on motorcycles, the only word that I comprehended above was "hose clamp." Looking up MSF courses now, didn't know they provided an opportunity to try out multiple bikes. Do I need my M-License before taking the course? (I'll probably find the answer myself in a few minutes).
Old 09-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggynagy View Post
I've added the Marauder to my list of bikes to look at, keep the suggestions coming! Guess I have to do a lot more reading up on motorcycles, the only word that I comprehended above was "hose clamp." Looking up MSF courses now, didn't know they provided an opportunity to try out multiple bikes. Do I need my M-License before taking the course? (I'll probably find the answer myself in a few minutes).
No sir you do not need it. In fact successfully completing the course will get you a waiver for your motorcycle license. All you need to do is take the waiver down to your dmv and they will add the endorsement without any additional testing.

In some states if you don't already have your Motorcycle endorsement it is now mandatory to take the MSF course. I think this is a great thing with more and more people moving to motorcycles in order to save money on gas.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
No sir you do not need it. In fact successfully completing the course will get you a waiver for your motorcycle license. All you need to do is take the waiver down to your dmv and they will add the endorsement without any additional testing.

In some states if you don't already have your Motorcycle endorsement it is now mandatory to take the MSF course. I think this is a great thing with more and more people moving to motorcycles in order to save money on gas.
totally agree..............so many new riders dont even know the term "countersteer" and they are riding sport bikes that can go over 150. There is a fundamental way of thinking when riding that is so different from when you are driving in your cage. While basic traffic laws stay the same your mindset needs to assume every driver is gonna pull out and get ya. I ride very defensive while riding bikes. On the flip side when I drive my truck I am very aware of motorcyclists and give them all the space I can.

MSF is a great course.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
So would it make sense for me to just go and take the MSF first, before I even buy a bike? Never ridden so I would be going in cold but maybe it'll best to learn everything right the first time... cost is around $200 which isn't bad at all.

I had to google countersteer.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #25
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggynagy View Post
So would it make sense for me to just go and take the MSF first, before I even buy a bike? Never ridden so I would be going in cold but maybe it'll best to learn everything right the first time... cost is around $200 which isn't bad at all.

I had to google countersteer.
Personally.............YES They handle riders of all caliber from guys who rode dirt all life but need to apply their knowledge to the road............to the novice never ridden.

Have you ever shifted gears in a quad or dirtbike? ever operated a foot clutch? I will say if you have no expericnce in this then the timing and feel might be foreign to you and take a little time. If you have ever done either of those and are still alive then take the course.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #26
B1SLYFOX is a jewel in the roughB1SLYFOX is a jewel in the roughB1SLYFOX is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
B1SLYFOX's Tacoma Gallery
Triumph Speed Triple, comfortable upright seating position but you can still ring it out on the back roads and track it as well.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SLYFOX View Post
Triumph Speed Triple, comfortable upright seating position but you can still ring it out on the back roads and track it as well.
Great bike...........rode one a few times when me and some guys would trade bikes on rides. Fun as all hell on the twistys.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Yes yes yes.... Take MSF first.
You may decide it's not for you.

And don't overthink countersteer. It seems counterintuitive, but it's not. It's no different from riding a bicycle. EVERY 2-wheeled vehicle requires a countersteering input when transitioning between 5 and 15mph... what speed depends on the geometry of the bike.

Countersteering is the most overthought and overargued topic on motorcycle forums.
Just do it.
Push right, go right, push left, go left.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #29
diesel30 is on a distinguished road

diesel30's Tacoma Gallery
take the course first. that way, if you don't like it you're only out a few hundo. Once you decide that it is for you don't even waste your time on any of the cruisers that are around 800 cc's. you will outgrow these very quickly and absolutely lose your ass on it when it's time to get rid of it. Had a friend buy a 2003 intruder 800 @ the auction for 1800. He bought it to sell to some chick he knows. (he's a dealer). I'd personally look into a used v-rod. You can get 2003-2005's for under 8k, have a decently comfy cruiser that handles great and has power that you will never outgrow. plus it'll retain it's value better than any of the previously mentioned bikes simply because of the name. It has a good amount of power but it is very manageable. The real beauty of these bikes is that they have an amazing chassis that is extremely well balanced so it gives it a lighter feel than it really is. It doesn't hust either that they sound friggin bad ass too!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #30
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
And if during your MSF class, you decide "this isn't for me"... listen to that.

Now, if you think "is this for me?"....
http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q...0Lodge%202008/

Old 09-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #31
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of really good advice here, like everybody else said definitely take the course first, it's designed for 1st time riders and they don't really expect people to have any experience at all. It's actually better IMO to take it before you've started to ride so you learn good habits from the start, it's easier than trying to drop bad habits you've already developed.

As long as you listen to the instructors you'll do well, but I'd be willing to be there is at least 1 person in your class who will be a "know it all" type and/or not listen and also not do well. In my course there was a guy who acted like he was an expert, well...he ended up riding the little honda 250 right into the side of a parking garage, after going up a grass bank separating the 2 parking lots. Remember, if you are going to fast ease off on the throttle!