Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Wannabe Cafe Build - '81 XS650 Special

Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #41
4Runner guy
Ripcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
Ripcord's Tacoma Gallery
Must be a so fun!

I've been looking for a 250 or 450 lately just because gas is killing me with just the 4runner and I have some projects on it that will require me having another vehicle. Same style of bike, any recommendations?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #42
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
Must be a so fun!

I've been looking for a 250 or 450 lately just because gas is killing me with just the 4runner and I have some projects on it that will require me having another vehicle. Same style of bike, any recommendations?
I picked this pile up for 900 bucks in el paso, running. Look for a yamaha xs650 or 400, honda cb750, suzuki gs, all good starter bikes. I know my bike has maybe 35 hp so it's pretty slow, hard to hurt yourself on.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #43
4Runner guy
Ripcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
Ripcord's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I picked this pile up for 900 bucks in el paso, running. Look for a yamaha xs650 or 400, honda cb750, suzuki gs, all good starter bikes. I know my bike has maybe 35 hp so it's pretty slow, hard to hurt yourself on.
We both know that's exactly what I need for a starter bike haha.

Thanks for the info! I know I want to find one that needs work so I can get to know it.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #44
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

this thing looks pretty nice, steep price though

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/3615995320.html
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #46
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
i picked up my xs650 with new tires for $400. threw a battery in it and it fired right up.

had to put exhaust on it, new jetting, adjust points, new wiring harness, new headlight and am working on a seat currently but it runs strong and was the right price.

good luck searching.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #47
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I like the look of that! To me it looks like a cafe racer and a dirt track bike had a baby. For the seat foam, I'd recommend either a gel layer or closed cell foam and then some softer open cell foam over top.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #48
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
OP, I like the look of that! To me it looks like a cafe racer and a dirt track bike had a baby. For the seat foam, I'd recommend either a gel layer or closed cell foam and then some softer open cell foam over top.
Thanks! Yeah I need to redo the seat, way too soft. It's ok for my short commute but longer rides kinda suck.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #49
braaap

Sold the bike last night. Sad to see it go but I think paying the bills is a bit more important. Hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I did.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #50
oldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud of
oldtimertoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sold the bike last night. Sad to see it go but I think paying the bills is a bit more important. Hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I did.
You did a really cool job on your XS! I always had wanted to cafe my XS out as well though I never got around to it, I sold mine about a year ago, still kind of miss it.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #51
braaap

Wow, that ones almost too clean to cut up!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #52
oldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud of
oldtimertoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow, that ones almost too clean to cut up!
That's probably why I never got around to it, the guy I sold it to had intentions of cutting it up but I believe he changed his mind after he got it.