Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Starter bike for 3 yr old.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
Starter bike for 3 yr old.

Anyone had their little ones out on a starter bike? What did you get them and why? Features you liked/didn't like?

We want to get our 3 yr old granddaughter a motorcycle and all the gear and have been looking at several models. If anyone has already been through this, your advice is valuable!

First up is the Yamaha PW50 followed by the Suzuki JR50 and the Honda CRF50F. All of these have optional training wheels and can be governed for speed.

If you know of, or have had experience with any of these, please tell me your thoughts.

Thanks!!!

-Eric
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The PW50 would be this experience...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMQikFlbQIE

And the Honda is this bike.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl_CHYt0vSs
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
the suzuki 50 quads are awesome, i started out on one when i was 3. they are pretty small so its nice!

sorry for the huge ass picture
Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Get them an ATC 70 Honda. They will learn physics and how not to wreck pretty quick lol.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

We've thought about the quads but want to see her up on two-wheels by next summer. She's very curious and fond of us, her Grandparents, who both ride Supersports and constantly asks for a bike or a ride. We cannot give her a ride yet of course but we could buy her one!

Maybe some day she'll be carving canyons with Grampa!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #6

Well, no one had the PW50 in stock for a lot of miles around but I found this 2012 TT-R50E at the local Yamaha dealer. It's a hold-over, 4-stroke 49cc, 3-speed auto, electric start and has a throttle speed limiter. Bought it, ordered the training wheels then got her an HJC motocross helmet, goggles, gloves, boots, chest protector, pants and shirt. She is rather elated and was running all through the dealer telling EVERYONE that she got a motorcycle just like Grampa's! LOL!

Here she is!

Attached Thumbnails
Starter bike for 3 yr old.-tt-r50.jpg  
Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Taco2012 View Post
Sweet! All I can say is you're one cool Grandpa.
Thanks! Somewhere, my daughter took a video of me riding it before loading it in the Taco. I'll get it from her tomorrow to post up. Hahahaha!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?
Doc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Doc4216's Tacoma Gallery
That is awesome!! Will you adopt a 33yo? Just kidding! That is super cool though!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
dbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbkid05tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brooks
dbkid05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
thats a great starter bike and you have to be one of the coolest grandparents of all time
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #12

Thanks guys! This is born from a love of motorcycles and me being up on two since I was 11. I could never afford to do this for my own kids but I can now for her. Her Mom, my daughter, approves and cannot afford this. (The Dad isn't in the picture). I'm just praying she really enjoys it and likes them enough to continue on to bigger bikes.

Plus, there's some really cool stuff for this bike available. It's often bought for a pit bike so there are wheel and suspension upgrades available. I can likely grow this bike with her for the next several years. When she is done with it, I can add the big springs and use it as a yard bike.

I'll get some video of her when she's riding for the first time.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #13
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
This is pretty cool. I had a PW50 when I was 8 or 9 years old. It was a great little bike and I still ride today.

You are pretty cool to buy her that; I hope she loves to ride for a long time!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #14

I got the training wheels on and some shots of her in most of the new gear that we bought for her. She's eager for spring to come!

A comparison of her new bike to Nanny's Yamaha FZ1 bike....

Me with her and yes, those are Spiderman PJ bottoms.

Attached Thumbnails
Starter bike for 3 yr old.-bikes-037.jpg   Starter bike for 3 yr old.-bikes-044.jpg   Starter bike for 3 yr old.-various-149.jpg   Starter bike for 3 yr old.-various-157.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
haha man, that is awesome.

I don't know the difficult of riding, but that seems like it would be difficult for a 3 year old!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
HONDA ftw crf 50cc
Old 03-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome job!

She looks totally stoked!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet ride!!! Nice work with her especially on the safety gear.

And as a fellow New Englander, I agree..cannot wait for nice weather!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #19

Thanks all!

We'd love to get her out on it but EVERY DAMNED WEEKEND is SNOW here! Time to ditch New England.... TX or Bust!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
CRF50

Got the boy a CRF. Because it's a clutchless three speed, he's able to ride much faster than the neighbor kid with a PW.
The training wheels only lasted for one ride because they made him angry (couldn't lean the bike)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGvXESmpwJ8?hl=en_US