1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me pick my first cruiser

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by JWaldz, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Feb 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    JWaldz

JWaldz [OP] It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    With gas prices on the rise and not wanting to get rid of the gas hog runner, I'm looking to buy a used bike. I don't really have any friends that ride bikes so I wouldn't even begin to ask them for suggestions. Here's what I'm wanting....

• Small/Medium Size Cruiser (needs to fit me at 5'10, 160lbs)
    • Around 800cc
    • Price Limit $2500 (or little more depending on deal)

Mileage isn't too much of a concern but I don't want something older than dirt. Maybe something after 2004 with decent mileage. So, what should I look for? I know Honda and Suzuki make real good cruisers. I've been slowly prowling craigslist for different models of them.

2. Feb 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    First off, if this is your first street bike, I highly recommend a beginners riding course such as the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation). Not sure about your state, but if you pass the class, you get your M1 endorsement, which means no DMV. That course will help to prevent bad habits from forming.

Depending on the type of riding you will be doing, I would recommend a Honda Shadow, such as Spirit 750 or 1100, Ace 750, or Sabre 1100. If your commute is just city driving, I would recommend the 750's. If you plan on highway cruising, get the 1100.

I am your size, and I have a Shadow Sabre 1100. Great bike and virtually maintenance free since it has a drive shaft.

I bought my 2002 Sabre in 2004 for $3,200. They hold their value really well, I could probably sell my bike for around $2,800-3,000.

3. Feb 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM
    T Fades

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Another thing to consider, since you are buying used, you don't want a bike with little to no mileage. Bikes like to be ridden, and will actually stay more reliable if used once in a while. Bikes, especially Hondas have no problem going 100k miles.

As far as age of bike and mileage, ideally getting a bike that is 3-4 years old with 10k-20k miles would be great.

4. Feb 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    For that price range you can easily find a good used Honda Magna 750. Don't let the engine size fool you. It will outrun most 1100's. Avoid the earlier 80's models. Any model from 94 to 03 is good.

5. Feb 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    Thank you for your input.. This is my first legal street bike sort of speak. I had a roommate back about 4 years ago that had a couple small old cruisers (550cc I think) and we rode around neighborhoods and nearby streets on Sundays. I didn't have a license, dumb I know, but doing it taught me a lot. I wouldn't mind taking a coarse though just as a refresher and definitely If I don't have to deal with DMV!

The bike will mostly be for city riding but my daily less than 10 mile commute to work (what I'm really wanting it for) is mostly on highway, 65mph limit. Every now and then I may want to take it 25 miles or so on highway, with 70mph limit, to where my gf's parents live but it wont be often. I'm 26, so I'm just old enough to know how the idiots on the road will kill me before I kill myself.

6. Feb 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    Major91

Major91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffROAD Barcelona Red
    On Anytime Fog Lights Satoshi Grillcraft Misc LEDS 5100's all around Konig's16". Duratracks, debadged,tinted fronts, custom shifter, flyzeye
    Took the MSF class - 1st ride current ride Softail Deluxe.....:D

7. Feb 20, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    T Fades

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Since your riding will be mostly highway, I would recommend the Spirit 1100. The gearing is higher and tailored for more highway riding. My Sabre 1100 is geared lower, so it is quick off the line, but a little buzzy at highway speeds.

8. Feb 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    I wouldn't mind an 1100 but I bet it would take a little bit to find one in my price range..

9. Feb 20, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    2chains

2chains Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC LB 3" Revtek lift
    3" Revtek lift, k&n 63-9025 intake, tailgate debadge, OEM Bed mat, decals gone. helo black max 6 bs 4.5 os-12,duratrac 285 70 17,smittybilt light bar, kc slimlites, pioneer pb3300 bt, window tint, weathertech digfits, raider lorider elite tonneau, at2525xl,
    Have you looked at the kawasaki vn900 classic or vn900 custom? 5 speed, liquid cooled with a belt drive, great reliable mid sized bike.

10. Mar 14, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Whatever you get, I'd look for either belt drive or shaft drive. Liquid cooling is good but if you want as low maintenance as possible go with an air-cooled. I don't think anybody has mentioned them but the Yamaha/Star mid-sized are good bikes, same with the mid size Suzuki's.

If you do any highway riding I'd also recommend getting some type of wind protection so you could look for a bike that already has a wind screen or else add that to your buying budget.

Products Discussed in

To Top