Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Official Dual Sport BS Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #121
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
ok so next questions

1.... any recommends on a cover as my bike has an outdoor home all year
in winter i use a cheap cover and some tarps.....
but an looking for a decent cover for everyday use......

2.....locks as i work in the nyc housing authority section 8 buildings
and bike will be kept in front of my house on a daily basis......"i live in a real good area" but u never know....
i just ordered a xena xx14 lock with alarm.....
but am looking for a good chain.....to lock bike to pole......
any thoughts.......
1. I have a Nelson Rigg outdoors cover with a vent built in and it's held up very well (it's about 7 years old now and still works well). It also has a strap that goes underneath so it won't blow off in high winds.

2. I like those disc locks. I have a Kryponite lock that goes through one of the discs, then I run a chain through that and around a pole (I used to live in an area with nothing to chain the bike to so I poured a 2'x2'x18" concrete chunk with an eye hook poured in). Depending on how bad the area is that you live in, I would invest in one of those heavy chains that aren't suseptible to being cut by bolt cutters and possibly look into building in an immobilizer (can be a simple kill switch hidden under the seat).
Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #122
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
I got one of those heavy duty covers from cycle gear. Can find them on sale about every other week. Had one on my bike for awhile and it protected it well. Had one rip, took it back and they switched it out at no cost.

Yea, the disc locks are suppose to be the best. I watched a long documentary on motorcycle theft and they interviewed a former bike thief for awhile. He said those were the hardest to deal with.

He said he would cut chains all the time and nobody would even bat an eye at him. He would break steering locks too. Even had someone at the apartment complex he was stealing the bike from help him break one once.
He said nothing could stop a bike from getting stolen from a good bike thief, but some things would slow them down a lot, and those calipers locks are the best. I had one that I don't thing you could of got a bolt cutter anywhere near the shank of the lock.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #123
pigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pigger's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread. I'm considering a dual-sport; had a Ducati 1198 & put 11k miles on it in 2 years, but got taken out at an intersection & broke my pelvis & messed-up my knees. Don't think I want to commute on a bike any more. Too many bad drivers here.

I have been trying to decide if I want something like the DR650/XR650L/KLR650, or more like the F650GS or equivalent. To get to the trails from here, I have to ride a fair amount of pavement at 70-75 mph or so. Not looking to motocross or get too radical off road, but do want to run forest roads, fire roads, and 2-track trails.

There sure are a lot of choices out there.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #124
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you would really enjoy an adventure bike. Good for highway and mild trails.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #125
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
Sounds like you would really enjoy an adventure bike. Good for highway and mild trails.
x2. This is what I would like to upgrade to someday.

EDIT: I've ridden a Kawasaki Versys 650 and REALLY liked it and have only heard great things about the Suzuki V-strom 650. Adventure bikes that will be great on the highway yet capable to keep up on some rough terrain. Worth looking into mayhaps . . .

It's a hard balance between the adventure lure and their weight for me though. They can get pretty heavy and thus less fun off road. I like my baby dual sport for now.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #126
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/co...0/viewall.html
Old 05-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #127
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
SO MY DR650 SEAT JUST ABOUT KILLED ME TODAY...
OUCH IS ALL I WILL SAY
Old 05-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #128
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OUCH IS ALL I WILL SAY
Old 05-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #129
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OUCH IS ALL I WILL SAY
Time for a new seat? Sargent, Corbin, custom?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #130
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone have or had one of these seats before??????
This seat is crap
Omg
Old 05-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #131

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This seat is crap
Omg
Here are a couple options:
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

I've read mixed reviews on both the Corbin and the Sargent seats. The Corbin, people seem to either love or hate it, not much middle ground. The Sargent seems to be a good choice and reviews seem to be people either love it or like it, not many people seem to dislike it. General consensus about the Suzuki gel seat is it's a waste of money and worse than the stock seat.

Check out advrider.com, those guys set their bikes up for distance and you can see what they say about the different seat options for your DR.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #132
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This seat is crap
Omg
rode mine 400 miles in a day, felt like bubba had just had his way with me for the next day or so.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #133
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Here are a couple options:
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

I've read mixed reviews on both the Corbin and the Sargent seats. The Corbin, people seem to either love or hate it, not much middle ground. The Sargent seems to be a good choice and reviews seem to be people either love it or like it, not many people seem to dislike it. General consensus about the Suzuki gel seat is it's a waste of money and worse than the stock seat.

Check out advrider.com, those guys set their bikes up for distance and you can see what they say about the different seat options for your DR.
THANKS JUST DIGGING THROUGH SOME POSTS AND IM LOOKING AT A SEAT CONCEPTS SEAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
rode mine 400 miles in a day, felt like bubba had just had his way with me for the next day or so.
omg this thing is crazy uncomfortable..... i still hurt now...hours later
did 4-5 hours today with breaks of course..but dam......
either a new seat of this bike is gone
Old 05-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #134
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Stand up. That is all
Old 05-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #135
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Stand up. That is all
Trust me i was doing that towards the end
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #136
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Trust me i was doing that towards the end
Haha, I just got rid of my DR650 but boy do I remember the pain! My future children will be flat (think stewie griffin head). My wife used to make fun of me after for doing the duck walk around the house - even after an hour ride my nuts and inner thighs felt horrible.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #137
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
Haha, I just got rid of my DR650 but boy do I remember the pain! My future children will be flat (think stewie griffin head). My wife used to make fun of me after for doing the duck walk around the house - even after an hour ride my nuts and inner thighs felt horrible.
YEA MAN WHO EVER DESIGNED THIS SEAT DESERVES A SWIFT KICK IN THE NUTS......

THAT BEInG SAID
i just ordered a seat concepts seat 1.5 inches lower.....as i was barely able to reach the ground on the bike
all said and done $172 shipped
should be here in a week......

if not any better then this bike will be for sale......
Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #138

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
YEA MAN WHO EVER DESIGNED THIS SEAT DESERVES A SWIFT KICK IN THE NUTS......

THAT BEInG SAID
i just ordered a seat concepts seat 1.5 inches lower.....as i was barely able to reach the ground on the bike
all said and done $172 shipped
should be here in a week......

if not any better then this bike will be for sale......
Maybe someone gave the seat design a swift kick in the nuts so he decided to take out his frustration on the customers. He's probably laughing his ass off every time he reads a thread like this

If you sell it, let me know

I just might have a nice comfy bike to trade you for it
Old 05-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #139
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Maybe someone gave the seat design a swift kick in the nuts so he decided to take out his frustration on the customers. He's probably laughing his ass off every time he reads a thread like this

If you sell it, let me know

I just might have a nice comfy bike to trade you for it
Old 05-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #140
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06indigoink View Post
thats the only reason i didnt get one when i bought my 450.. i didnt wanna mix oil anymore.. i now wish i had gotten it anyways. i miss my old 2 strokes. i do love the torque of the 450 tho
Thats why I have both, different bikes for different terrain / trip distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Quoting myself for that very reason. 2strokes are great woods bikes, and chainsaw engines. Throw a tag on it, and it's nice to connect trails. For a true dual sport though like the OP needs, with mostly street commuting, a 2stroke isn't the best bike.
Yeah, for long travels and lots of road/hwy use a 2t isnt ideal IMO.

Quote:
I wouldn't use one for commuting. If he's on a lot of highway but still wants something for trails I'd go with a DRZ.
Heeavy bike, the newer KTM would be nice, but gonna have to cough up $10K eeeek!

Quote:
I would tend to disagree with you on the woods bike part, depending on the type of trails you ride. For tighter trails, I would definitely prefer the 4 stroke because of the higher torque across the RPM range vs. the narrower power band of the 2 stroke. I like 2 strokes for tracks or more well defined trails. I suppose it comes down to personal preference so this is just my $0.02.
I would have to disagree, I ride and race both 2 and 4 strokes and prefer my 2t in the tighter technical and slippery off camber stuff all day long, easier to ride and handles better. However I run a 300 kit on my YZ with a Rekluse clutch and its ported for midrange power so it luggs amazingly well for a 2 stroke, but if I was riding a 125 I would agree with you, power like a lightswitch and nothing till that point! My 0.01c lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I did 800 in a day in Baja and I cut almost ALL my seat foam out because I have short legs but still want to be able to touch the ground. However I tend to stand about 95% of the time unless I am in a tight corner. When you weigh 120# it isnt hard to stand for long periods of time, gravity aint so hard on me like it is on you other fellas.