Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Official Dual Sport BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #141
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
I'll just leave this here...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...0-east-ma.html
Old 05-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #142
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Hey you dropped something..

Selling a CanOTuna? They are really comfy bikes and handle pretty well too, GLWS. Just in time for cruising season. Also ergonomically a great beginner bike since the power is fairly tame and not so peaky and puts you in a comfortable riding position unlike a full on sport bike, where your in "TRON" mode, lol.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #143
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
Hey you dropped something..

Selling a CanOTuna? They are really comfy bikes and handle pretty well too, GLWS. Just in time for cruising season. Also ergonomically a great beginner bike since the power is fairly tame and not so peaky and puts you in a comfortable riding position unlike a full on sport bike, where your in "TRON" mode, lol.
Haha, yeah, selling a CanOTuna The bike's handling was really improved with the new front springs, I couldn't believe how much of a difference they made. You're right about comfort. I can ride that thing all day long and not be 'walking the waddle' when I get off. The only problem I have with it (and the reason I want to sell it), it sucks on the trails
Old 06-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #144
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9yW5LGAYk
Old 06-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #145
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
Man I've put thousands of miles on those roads, but didn't have a dual sport at the time, so I didn't go off road.. Made me miss going to Julian. You ever go to Palomar or Borego Springs Montezuma?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #146
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
Man I've put thousands of miles on those roads, but didn't have a dual sport at the time, so I didn't go off road.. Made me miss going to Julian. You ever go to Palomar or Borego Springs Montezuma?

palomar yes but no motezuma
Old 06-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #147
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
need some help for a clutch lever problem
dr650
or maybe a clutch issue
my clutch only releases in the last 1/2" - 3/4" of lever release
so basicly i can disengage the cluth with a pull of 1/2" - 3/4" on lever
id like it have more friction zone with it
any ideas...
i have no slipping at upper speeds......that i know of....
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #148

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
need some help for a clutch lever problem
dr650
or maybe a clutch issue
my clutch only releases in the last 1/2" - 3/4" of lever release
so basicly i can disengage the cluth with a pull of 1/2" - 3/4" on lever
id like it have more friction zone with it
any ideas...
i have no slipping at upper speeds......that i know of....
I went with adjustable levers for my bike and they are great. It adjusts where the lever returns to so you can set the friction zone where you want it and also adjust the length of allowable lever pull.

Aside from that, I don't know how you can expand the friction zone on a cabled clutch system. If the friction zone is only half of the lever pull, you can adjust where that 1/2 pull friction zone is but the distance you'll need to pull the lever to disengage won't change. Have you gone through and properly adjusted the clutch? You do want to be sure that when the lever is released that the clutch is fully engaged (there should be a little bit of free play in the lever when fully released to let you know that the clutch is fully engaged)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #149
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I went with adjustable levers for my bike and they are great. It adjusts where the lever returns to so you can set the friction zone where you want it and also adjust the length of allowable lever pull.

Aside from that, I don't know how you can expand the friction zone on a cabled clutch system. If the friction zone is only half of the lever pull, you can adjust where that 1/2 pull friction zone is but the distance you'll need to pull the lever to disengage won't change. [COLOR="Red"] Have you gone through and properly adjusted the clutch? You do want to be sure that when the lever is released that the clutch is fully engaged (there should be a little bit of free play in the lever when fully released to let you know that the clutch is fully engaged)[/COLOR]
no
Old 06-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #150

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no
I'd start with that. Once you get it properly adjusted, see how you like the feel, then go from there. It can make a difference. I'm not sure how the DR650's clutch adjusts but my Katana has the threaded adjuster on the lever mount and also another adjustment on the worm gear. With mine, just adjusting the threaded nut on the lever isn't enough, the worm gear needs to be properly adjusted or else the lever doesn't feel right. So you have a service manual for your bike?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #151
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
palomar yes but no motezuma
Check it out, it's an awesome ride. Go to Borrego Springs then hang a left on Montezuma Valley Rd.
Also there's some good spots for wheeling out around in that general area.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #152
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
We had our dual sport ride for the year this past weekend. 527 riders signed up and paid. With club members probably 575. AMA had a rep there checkin stuff out. Really liked the event and had a great time. Was a little upset that there wasn't ANY factory support from the manufacturers. Husqvarna and Yamaha are sponsoring the series but couldn't send any support?
Old 06-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #153
BIG DADDY

ok so after almost 1500 miles i think its time for an oil change and filter.....
i have been having some clutch adjustment issues....guy at bike shop adjusted it in 2 secs and it fells much better...he said the way i had it i was smoking it.....
might need a new one soon....
bike has been making some noise not knocking just a weird noise i dont think i have herd before....
then again its been like 100* out and i ride it in traffic for over 1 to 1-1/2 each way to work everyday.....
mind you this is an air cooled motor....if i feel she is getting hot in traffic i white line her for a few "even tho i hate being that guy"
but anyway took it to 2 shops to see if noise is serious ...and well neither of them hear it......
they say the dr650's make weird noises and as long as its not knocking or bangin not to worry......
so i need some maintenance on bike...they want $150 plus parts for a tune up
so i think i am going to do it myself.....
i just ordered some oil filters, o ring gaskets, valve adjustment tool, right angle feller gauges, valve cover o rings, clutch cover gasket, some plugs, fuel filter, chain lube,
anything else you guys recommend.....
any tips i have the manual for the bike.....as i never adjusted valve before
never had a 4 stroke before.....
i will also be installing my vapor computer thingy finally as well....
so now i will have a idea of my head temperature......
also what oil to use is motor oil fine 10w40 is what is recommended in service manual????????

also on an unrelated note i got pulled over by the fuzz.......they let me go
here she is

Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #154

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure about the DR650 is particular but if you have a wet clutch DO NOT USE REGULAR MOTOR OIL!! My motorcycle uses the same oil to cool the clutch as it does the engine and most regular motor oils are not compatible with the wet clutch. Again, I'm not familiar with the DR in particular, but it is common for bikes. If you use the wrong oil, your clutch basically stops working. The plates glaze over and won't gain enough friction to engage and you'll then need to replace them.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #155
BIG DADDY

Quote:
I'm not sure about the DR650 is particular but if you have a wet clutch DO NOT USE REGULAR MOTOR OIL!! My motorcycle uses the same oil to cool the clutch as it does the engine and most regular motor oils are not compatible with the wet clutch. Again, I'm not familiar with the DR in particular, but it is common for bikes. If you use the wrong oil, your clutch basically stops working. The plates glaze over and won't gain enough friction to engage and you'll then need to replace them.
thats what i thought and yes its a "wet clutch"
thanks......
Old 07-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #156
BIG DADDY

any thought on seafoaMING MY DR650
SHE STARTED RUNNING LIKE SHIT
SO I CHECKED COMPRESSION WHEN WARM WITH THROTTLE WIDE OPEN AND GOT A READING OF 145PSI....
AS FAR AS I KNOW not top end work has ever been done on her
and im not sure what normal compression should be i thinking 120psi but am unsure...
so that leads me to believe i have some carbon build up in cylinder.......
i pulled the plugs and swapped in new ones and changed the fuel filter and she seems to run fine now...
plugs looked in good condition...i will take pics later.....
so i wanted to try some seafoam before i change the oil and check the valve clearances and such
any thoughts 2002 dr650

id say normal to carbon fouled if i had to guess....i will look better tonight
Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #157
blysccr is on a distinguished road
blysccr's Tacoma Gallery
I dual sport a ktm two stroke. not bad, 80 ish mile range. jetted rich. turns heads, but the drz or xr400 i had were much better "dual sport"
Old 07-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #158
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
any thought on seafoaMING MY DR650
SHE STARTED RUNNING LIKE SHIT
SO I CHECKED COMPRESSION WHEN WARM WITH THROTTLE WIDE OPEN AND GOT A READING OF 145PSI....
AS FAR AS I KNOW not top end work has ever been done on her
and im not sure what normal compression should be i thinking 120psi but am unsure...
so that leads me to believe i have some carbon build up in cylinder.......
i pulled the plugs and swapped in new ones and changed the fuel filter and she seems to run fine now...
plugs looked in good condition...i will take pics later.....
so i wanted to try some seafoam before i change the oil and check the valve clearances and such
any thoughts 2002 dr650

id say normal to carbon fouled if i had to guess....i will look better tonight

Have you jetted the carb? Running any aftermarket exhaust or modified the intake box? The reason I ask is because on mine, I performed the above mentioned mods and she was running extremely well for a bit. It was a constant battle for about a month of adjusting the air/fuel screw to get a better mix.

I had it running rich for a couple weeks and my plugs looked like your when I pulled them to check. I found for mine, a decent amount of popping on decel was right where it needed to be.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #159
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Any recommendations for a rear tire mainly used on the sandy/dirt roads and occasionally on the road? I am ready to ditch the stock dunflop that came with mine as it's dry rotted and damn near bald

I'm looking at the Kenda K760 or Pirelli MT16, price isn't a huge deal as I don't ride a whole lot and tire wear ain't a big deal either. Just want something better than the stock tire that will hook up decent.
Look into the Kenda K-270. They are not that expensive and mine lasted two seasons. Held up great off road and performed decently on road. The only issue I would have with the 760 is that I would imagine ANY road use would suck with those. Cornering could be an issue with those knobs.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #160
hickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
hickorylarge's Tacoma Gallery
Alright I need some opinions here... I'm looking to get a new-ish dual sport, like maybe 2005 and up. I pretty much have it narrowed down to either a DRZ400 or KLX 250. I'm leaning towards the KLX just because I want it for mostly dirt riding, some riding around the neighborhood. I'm concerned the drz will be a little overkill as I'm not a super aggresive rider (bad knee, bad shoulder, getting old sucks). I sat on a drz at a bike show and my legs dangled freely as if I were a little kid sitting on my dads bike. I'm 5'9" and 145lbs, Im sure the preload was jacked all the way up but it seemed a little ridiculous. I've never sat on a KLX, I suspect it's slightly shorter as I think it's a little smaller all around. I'm not too worried about the height, more so that the 400 will be a little too heavy to throw around the turns, or on the other hand, that the 250 won't have enough power when I do go to ride it on the road. Advice/ opinions, please?

Products Discussed in this Thread