Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Official Dual Sport BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Official Dual Sport BS Thread

It is what it.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What are some thoughts on listening to music via ear buds while you ride? Some say bad idea, some say its not bad. Just wondering what everyone prefers.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Stop staring at me swan!

And any thoughts on a helmet like this?

http://www.revzilla.com/product/shoe...modular-helmet
Old 03-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
What are some thoughts on listening to music via ear buds while you ride? Some say bad idea, some say its not bad. Just wondering what everyone prefers.
Check your state's laws. Some states allow it, some allow it for one ear only, some outright outlawed it. That being said, I listen to music while I ride. I keep the music lower so I can hear horns and sirens over the music. I also found that if I use a high quality ear bud, it's actually worse. The high quality ear buds actually drowned out the outside sound a little too well and I couldn't hear anything except the music. The cheap Ipod ear buds seem to work pretty well. They let outside noise in but you can still hear the music. At highway speed, I can barely hear it anymore anyways.

Quote:
And any thoughts on a helmet like this?

http://www.revzilla.com/product/shoe...modular-helmet
I really like modular helmets. They're nice for riding with people, you ca actually talk to someone without taking your helmet off. You can also flip up the front part for going through towns if traffic comes to a crawl.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Stop staring at me swan!

There are no NC laws, but the GA law is that you can helmets with microphones only for communicating, doesn't say anything specific about it. Everyone keeps mentioning Shoei helmets so I figured they have to be pretty good.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There are no NC laws, but the GA law is that you can helmets with microphones only for communicating, doesn't say anything specific about it. Everyone keeps mentioning Shoei helmets so I figured they have to be pretty good.
Don't get caught up on a brand, Shoei also makes cheap helmets. Find one that fits properly and has all the proper safety certifications.

No Headphones
  • Massachusetts and Rhode Island are the only states that expressly forbid wearing headphones of any kind while operating a motor vehicle, including motorcycles. For example, Rhode Island Statute 31-23-51 states that a "person shall not drive a bicycle or motor vehicle upon any highway while wearing earphones or a headset," or be fined a minimum of $85 for a first offense.

No Music
  • Pennsylvania, Georgia and Florida permit wearing headphones, but prohibit using headphones to listen to music while operating a motor vehicle. Florida Statute 316.304, for example, prohibits the use of headphones except as used as part of a wireless communication device with sound coming out of only one ear. Georgia Statute 40-6-250 contains similar language.

One Ear Only
  • New York, Minnesota and California have laws permitting the use of headphones provided they are used in one ear only. Minnesota Statute 169.471, for example, states that headphones or earphones may be used with sound going into one ear.

Read more: Laws on Wearing Headphones While Riding a Motorcycle | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7211407_law...#ixzz2Nk8MQHP3

Here's another link on wearing headphones while driving:
http://lifehacker.com/5902802/ever-w...-youre-driving
Old 03-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
I have this helmet in white for cruising around town and for trips. Works great. Links to the phone with ease. You can take calls with it, but I've never tried. Riding is my break from the real world. You can hear the music pretty well up to around 60, then it gets a little hard to hear with the wind noise. If you're bike had a fairing, then it might be easier to hear at higher speeds. I've heard of people taking out the speakers in it, and replacing with nice bose ones, but I've yet to that.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...th-Helmet.aspx
Old 03-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
If you guys missed my last post in the other thread, those boots are trials boots. If you're looking for ankle protection they're not what you want
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06indigoink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
caught the end of your last thread.. i bought a wr450 back a lil over a year ago to convert to SM and ride around the mtns, lots of reading later i realized its damn near impossible in this state. the power of the 450 would be great but the way its titled off-road only basically kills the nc dot process for it so i went out and got a zx6 and now i have a street and a dirt bike.

look into ktms, LOTS of people i see when i go riding actually ride up to the trails on them, beat the shit out of them all day and ride them home at the end. if i had to do it again i would def go orange. check the craigslist ads up towards asheville, i normally see a couple different legal bikes pop up every so often.

whichever you decide to get hollar at me well ride,an hours ride aint that far
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The club I'm in has a dual sport every year. Last year we were named off road recreational organizer of the year. We get 500+ riders in one weekend and the majority of them are orange. When KTM sponsored the dual sport series they had a semi with factory support and demo rides of all the road legal bikes they make. Husqvarna and BMW/Yamaha sponsor it now. They send some sweet machines to check out too. If anyone is interested in coming it is June 1-2 this year. Camping available for the weekend. No hookups for campers. All the info will be posted to the site soon. Www.durtydabbers.com
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
Stop staring at me swan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06indigoink View Post
caught the end of your last thread.. i bought a wr450 back a lil over a year ago to convert to SM and ride around the mtns, lots of reading later i realized its damn near impossible in this state. the power of the 450 would be great but the way its titled off-road only basically kills the nc dot process for it so i went out and got a zx6 and now i have a street and a dirt bike.

look into ktms, LOTS of people i see when i go riding actually ride up to the trails on them, beat the shit out of them all day and ride them home at the end. if i had to do it again i would def go orange. check the craigslist ads up towards asheville, i normally see a couple different legal bikes pop up every so often.

whichever you decide to get hollar at me well ride,an hours ride aint that far
Well I hope to get one that is already street legal so I don't have to deal with all that. Plus it will be registered in Georgia
Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Well I hope to get one that is already street legal so I don't have to deal with all that. Plus it will be registered in Georgia
good idea. everywhere i looked/ people i talked to kept telling me that in NC it is possible, but you have to get a custom title, vin, etc etc... not worth the headache to me.

crazy, back in the day you could ride any of them on there, some states still do.

but KTM is the way to go, seriously.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
Stop staring at me swan!

Quote:
good idea. everywhere i looked/ people i talked to kept telling me that in NC it is possible, but you have to get a custom title, vin, etc etc... not worth the headache to me.

crazy, back in the day you could ride any of them on there, some states still do.

but KTM is the way to go, seriously.
Really? What a pain! I do like KTM and you are right they do seem to be pretty stout, but most the bikes I find are at the upper limit of my budget
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #14

http://tricities.craigslist.org/mcy/3663262626.html

ready to go^

http://greenville.craigslist.org/mcd/3566219450.html
^this would make a BADASS dual sport.

ktm300xc
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Stop staring at me swan!

Quote:

My budget is $5K for bike, gear, insurance, etc. so as much as I would love a KTM, it probably isn't gonna be my first bike.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

http://greenville.craigslist.org/mcd/3566219450.html
^this would make a BADASS dual sport.

ktm300xc
A 2stroke wouldn't be the best dual sport.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
"the soulless ginger"

I hear many people say the 300 is probably the best all around bike KTM makes. Plenty of power from the 300 yet really nice in tight woods and stable on road. Plus it's light like a 250. I know at least 2 guys that own 450s and 300s. They ride the 300 more than the 450. Only downside is fuel mileage
Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
Stop staring at me swan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
I hear many people say the 300 is probably the best all around bike KTM makes. Plenty of power from the 300 yet really nice in tight woods and stable on road. Plus it's light like a 250. I know at least 2 guys that own 450s and 300s. They ride the 300 more than the 450. Only downside is fuel mileage
What kind of mileage do they get?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
"the soulless ginger"

I was told like 60 to a tank. But it's premix so to go anywhere you would probably need to carry bottles of oil to measure when you fill it up. Or buy a bigger tank
Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #20

thats the only reason i didnt get one when i bought my 450.. i didnt wanna mix oil anymore.. i now wish i had gotten it anyways. i miss my old 2 strokes. i do love the torque of the 450 tho

Products Discussed in this Thread