Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Could use a little advice from the Dual Sport crowd (XT225)

Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #21
PatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud of

Name: Pat
PatSully's Tacoma Gallery
i will also say that the milk crate is awesome. my GF and some co workers give me grief for it, but it carries all my stuff and was FREE! the rack it is bolted to, that was too expensive.

good luck with the build, i cant wait to see what you make!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery

I can't wait either, but I have to.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I custom made a luggage rack and used to bungee a milk crate to it if I needed to haul stuff. Even bungeed a 30 pack on there a few times
Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #24
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

This is me on it several years ago. I do wear a helmet when I ride and the bandana is to keep sweat out of my eyes, not to look like a punk teenie bopper. (Tons of those in redneck SD trying to look hard haha wannabes). I'm just clarifying because I found this and posted it on facebook and a bunch people got all butt-hurt that I'm not wearing a helmet . . . I hadn't even left the house yet! ha

Old 04-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #25
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
No shame in the moped department. A dual sport is a great commuter. Awesome mileage. light weight, rugged, and a friggin blast to ride. Keep it and enjoy. Stock is fine with those. I would play with some aftermarket handlebars to find what is best for your back.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #26

Yup, I'll look into handlebars and seats or seat pads, but for now just want to get it running. It snowed a bunch again, but should be cleared up by the time I'm back in South Dakota, hopefully.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #27
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Somebody already said this but it's worth saying again, definitely plan on replacing your brake fluid.

Also, make sure all the cables are lubed well, not sure if that has a hydraulic or cabled clutch but if it's a cable it sucks if it breaks and you can't shift.

First tank of gas maybe add some seafoam or b12 fuel system cleaner to it, won't hurt anything
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #28

Repetition is a useful learning too. I don't mind. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #29
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Subd- I want to see where this goes.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #30
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If it sat long enough, it might be worth soaking your chain in oil also.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #32
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Hi,
Thanks for your service nd sacrifice, I hope things get better for you.

Thumper Talk has a Yamaha dual sport section and I'm sure someone there can help with re-jetting the idle circuit on the carb to get rid of the poor cold running. If you clean the carb Yamaha makes a water based carb cleaner that works very good in a crock pot on low. Really cooks the crap out of the tiny orifices.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #33
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
Somebody already said this but it's worth saying again, definitely plan on replacing your brake fluid.

Also, make sure all the cables are lubed well, not sure if that has a hydraulic or cabled clutch but if it's a cable it sucks if it breaks and you can't shift.

First tank of gas maybe add some seafoam or b12 fuel system cleaner to it, won't hurt anything
Idk man I've finished half of a 40 mile harescramble with a broken clutch cable, you can shift just fine, starting off is the fun part

No seriously he makes a good point, dirty dry cables make for a hard clutch pull and wears it out.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
Hi,
Thanks for your service nd sacrifice, I hope things get better for you.

Thumper Talk has a Yamaha dual sport section and I'm sure someone there can help with re-jetting the idle circuit on the carb to get rid of the poor cold running. If you clean the carb Yamaha makes a water based carb cleaner that works very good in a crock pot on low. Really cooks the crap out of the tiny orifices.
Thanks for the heads up. I've been all over thumpertalk, xt225.com and ADVrider. I can research all day but until I get my hands on it this is just no fun ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapcinq View Post
Subd- I want to see where this goes.
I hope you're hopes aren't up too high ha I'll be lucky if I get it done between mid-May and early June while I'm visiting the folks, so it'll probably not be finished until August after I head back. Time (and Money) shall tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If it sat long enough, it might be worth soaking your chain in oil also.
I'm pretty meticulous with anything I do. You should see me clean the house haha I don't know much about bikes as of now but I'll surely do my best not to overlook a single detail.

Thanks for all the tips guys.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #35

By the way, I'm thinking a 120 rear and 110 front would be better than what that other guy did. Any comments are welcome on TIRES. Size, brand and make for 100% to 80/20 street driving. What's worked for you. That's one thing I haven't had time to button down. Lots of options, not a lot of time. College is time consuming like that this time of year.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #36

I'm home! and only have a month to make progress before I leave town for six weeks.
Here's my canvass:

Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #37

Here's the plan to get my 2006 XT225 up and running again:

Stage 1:
New battery
42.5 pilot jet
130 main jet
Idle jet screw 2.5 turns out
Shim jet needle with 1mm washer
Adjust air screw
UNI air filter
Flush fluids
Clean carb
Grease chain

Stage2:
Front sprocket 16t
Wider foot pegs
Hand guards
Rear rack
Trim front fender 4”
Handlebars or spacer

Stage 3: (Not definite, still need to choose tires)
Rear 18x2.15” wheel laced to front hub
130/80x18 rear (26.19”x5.12”)
110/90x18 front (25.80”x4.33”)

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #38

By the end of all this I'll have an underpowered go-kart and underpowered moped haha WOO!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #39

I'm looking into Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires for their prevalent size options and rating. Lead me elsewhere if you know of something better, please and thank you.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #40

Topper is off for the first time since I've owned the Pickup:

Bike is loaded up:

Took it to the shop for more room to work:

Man, Truck, Bike:

Cleaned off my dusty gear:

Finally broke 88,000

And one for the road: