Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Could use a little advice from the Dual Sport crowd (XT225)

Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Could use a little advice from the Dual Sport crowd (XT225)

This semi-sort of became a build thread so here is how it sits as of 5-26-13:

I bought a 2006 Yamaha XT225 back in the day. Left home for the Marine Corps, rode other bikes, build a few trucks, moved a few places . . . It's been just sitting there for years.

So, I've decided to go back to the parents place this Summer, pick it up, and get it back in running order (and then some).

It should just need a new battery and some fresh gas (hopefully) but I remember that thing being picky and having to run it for a long time before it would want to stay alive without the choke half out.

Unfortunately, I hurt my back, hands, hip, knee, head, etc. pretty badly when I was in SO this thing is going to be a glorified moped but I just can't justify selling my last bike . . . so a moped it shall be. (75+ mpg will be a nice change from the Pickup)

I don't know much about it. I bought it when I turned 18 and left for boot camp just a while after. Any tips on getting it fixed up and running as efficiently as possible would be great, thanks!

This is what I'm working with:

I'm planning on:
-wider foot pegs
-new battery
-fresh fluids/oil change
-maybe a new helmet (non-visor motocross style which is what I have now)

Looking into:
-rear rack
-tires
-sprockets (depending on if tire size changes or I can get better FE)
-a bunch of other little junk to make it more fuel efficient and more comfortable for a cripple's hands and back for short trips around town
Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm adding jetting to the list. I'm not looking for power as much as FE and fixing that I have to wait forever for it to warm up . . .
Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Plan on pulling the carb and fully disassembling it for cleaning. The gas will have varnished in it pretty bad and clogged the jets.

Probably new tubes/tires as well. You may want to go through all the chassis/suspension bearings too, they hardly have any grease from the factory anyway.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
ADVrider. Hands down, the best dual sport forum around.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Lovin Tacos
tacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bryant
tacomacrazy's Tacoma Gallery
Brake lines and spark plug, coolant

electronics
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06indigoink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Plan on pulling the carb and fully disassembling it for cleaning. The gas will have varnished in it pretty bad and clogged the jets.

Probably new tubes/tires as well. You may want to go through all the chassis/suspension bearings too, they hardly have any grease from the factory anyway.
^^^ this. the carb will be nasty if you didnt run it outta gas before you left. take it apart and soak it in kerosene. scrub it down and soak again, continue until clean. drain ALL fluids and replace. oil chain.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #7

I emptied the tank before I left and I know my pops got it running for me a few times while I was gone but we're still talking years of sitting ha

Thanks for the tips thus far guys. I'll get on that forum for sure.

It's still a month or two until I can get home and get my hands on it, I just want to be edumucated beforehand so I can get it done quickly. I'll only have a month or less to get it all fixed up. Any other input welcome! Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Probably new tubes/tires as well.
Any heads up on better tires for street stuff? Like an AT instead of a MT for the trucks. I'm pretty banged up and for now so just riding it for the fuel economy and nostalgia/fun. Like I said, beefy moped, unfortunately
Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Any heads up on better tires for street stuff? Like an AT instead of a MT for the trucks. I'm pretty banged up and for now so just riding it for the fuel economy and nostalgia/fun. Like I said, beefy moped, unfortunately
Sorry can't really help you there. I ran TKC80's on my DR but those are very aggressive. Check out ADVrider.com, hands down the best dual sport site out there.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #10

word. Thanks for the leads guys. Hopefully in 2-3 months I'll have progress to share.

Goodnight TW, peeps.

EDIT: I have a feeling this is going to get addicting/expensive like the trucks did . . .
Old 04-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #11

I've decided I'm going to try and motard it. Obviously won't be a legit supermoto (just a commuter), but I'm going to lace up an 18" rear wheel to the front and throw some quality street tread on it and call it a day.

I called home and asked my Pops to clear out a spot in the garage next to it so when school gets out in May I can head home and get started first thing.

Only snag up is the Title and everything isn't where I left it, and I never did get it all licensed and insured before I left for boot camp, so that may be a hassle trying to figure all that out. We'll see.

I'm going to give everything a once over, new battery, clean the carb, replace all the fluids and do a synthetic oil change, change to a 130 main and 42.5 pilot jet, turn the idle jet screw 2.5 turns out, and order a UNI air filter . . . hopefully that'll get me running.

I'll keep my progress in here just for the sake of thinking out loud and getting feedback.

Step one: Get it running / licensed, insured, title

Step two: 18" rear wheel laced to front hub, choose tires, lower rear to match front

Step three: decide if I want a 16t front sprocket or not, hand guards, wider foot pegs, rear rack, trim fenders, little stuff, etc . . .
Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #12

Something like this (minus the milk crate )

Front and rear are both identical 120/80x18s. I think it's pretty neat for a fuel efficient and fun commuter. Sure beats a moped.

So, that's where I'm headed with this. Constructive input is welcome.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #13

I'll likely trim about 3-4" off the front fender as well. The smaller tire and street use merit a shorter one and I'm not paying for one ha
Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
braaap

very cool, just an FYI, that bike will not cruise freeway very well. You need a big motor (650+) to do that.

And don't be hatin' on the milk crate!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #15

I'd totally rock a milk crate for free rather than buy something!

Yeah I know, I remember riding it on the highway back in windy South Dakota. If the wind was low I could get up to a real shaky 65-75 (not comfortable for long distances though). 55 mph highways were never a problem unless it was 40mph+ winds.

From what I've read the heavier front wheel helps with stability a bit at speeds and changing up my sprockets a bit should help with my rpms at speed. However, I mostly intend to drive around town with it so it won't be a problem 90% of the time.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
braaap

Cool, yeah even my dr650 was pretty terrifying above 80 mph.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #17

Yeah, I just miss riding and seeing as my back and hands keep getting worse I may as well do as much as I can this Summer, and for as long as I can, just in case I can't continue to later in life. We'll see. Just working with what I got haha

Wish I could change the title of this thread now haha

This sort of became my build in a hurry . . .
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Yeah, I just miss riding and seeing as my back and hands keep getting worse I may as well do as much as I can this Summer, and for as long as I can, just in case I can't continue to later in life. We'll see. Just working with what I got haha

Wish I could change the title of this thread now haha

This sort of became my build in a hurry . . .
For sure, good luck with it.

PM a mod to change the title for you, they'll be happy to help.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #19

I just may. Thanks for the help. Now I need to go be productive for once . . .
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #20

This white bike did the same thing with the 18 rear laced to the front:

And this one went to actual 17s, which for me seems to be a waste of money since I won't be able to take advantage of that since I have a lot less travel than a true SM and cost wise I won't have to do near as much either.