Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Please wear a helmet

Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #81
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Yeah, I saw that. I was referring to the law for adults as well. Its required regardless of age. Wasn't sure if you were aware.

It's smart for the kids to be required. They aren't old enough to understand the consequences in most cases. Then when they reach the age they can use their own judgement.
I learned the adult law the hard way... I got pulled over by a Park Ranger at a campground. Talk about embarrassing! The guy could have just pulled up next to me to tell me but no, lights on and kept them on like a normal traffic stop (keep in mind this is in a state campground, I was the entertainment for a LOT of campers)
Old 06-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #82
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
When you get hit or fall, if you have your mouth open, the impact from your jaw slamming shut can actually cause a concussion. That's why fighters wear a mouth guard. It's not only to protect your teeth but to stop that force from your jaw slamming shut and literally knocking you out.
Haha, good point, I wear one when racing and I used to be an amateur boxer so I am aware of how easy a concussion happens, people laugh at me till I leave the line in the lead! Probably because I am only 120lbs so I win drag races, lol.

But I have a home in Havasu as well (no helmet law) I ALWAYS wear a helmet, wont ever ride without one, not worth the risk. Plus I am too aggressive to ride without but I am on a plated dirtbike and heading to the off-road spots anyway, where I am dressed head to toe in full gear at ALL times.

I still see tons of guys without them, but I used to work as a medic so I am all to aware of what a a fatal MVA motorcycle accident looks like, hard to forget seeing a skull capped victim laying on the ground with no other obvious trauma especially when it could have been prevented.

BTW I have BROKEN 3 helmets in my riding/racing career. If thats not a good enough reason, I dont know what is. IMO thats 3 extra lives!
So not worth it!!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #83
Robotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roberto
Robotoco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah people need to wear helmet all the time. i'ma shame to say the only time i crashed my bike i wasn't wearing any gear including my helmet, and i can't say how i'm still here but i just know i'm not gonna not wear any gear when i get on moto bike
Old 06-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #84
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
I'll just leave this here.

http://rideapart.com/2013/06/a-begin...torcycle-gear/
Old 06-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #85
Zarcero is on a distinguished road
Zarcero's Tacoma Gallery
I always wear my full-face Shoei and a full riding suit and riding boots.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #86
pigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pigger's Tacoma Gallery
AGATT here. It has saved my life twice so far. I also wear a helmet when bicycling and skiing, and my ski helmet saved my life once as well.

My last accident (although there was nothing "accidental" about the idiot pulling out from the side street) was pretty bad, broke my pelvis in 3 places & fecked up my knees, but I lost no skin. That helmet looks pretty gnarly now.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:09 AM   #87
DD977GM2 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Gunners Mate 2nd Class
DD977GM2's Tacoma Gallery
I would be dead if I didnt have my helmet on when I was involved in an accident. The driver deliberatly caused me to wreck.

I dont advocate for people to wear helmets...I think it is a personal choice and government doesnt need to tell me what to do.

I do know they are helpful and will prevent you from being dead or a vegetable in 95% of accidents.

My kids know to wear them as does my wife. ATGATT

Old 09-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #88
!@$%#
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
I live in WI we have a seat belt law, but no helmet law. (Doesn't make much sense.)
I encountered a car taking a corner way wide. I chose the grass. He/she didn't stop, my bike was totaled, my helmet saved my face, probably more. My gear saved the rest! Hell, I walked home to get the Taco and go get the bike. Insurance paid for everything, even the helmet!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #89
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Just this past week an off duty police officer died in a motorcycle crash. He wasn't wearing a helmet, was trying to pass 3 cars in a no passing zone, and was definitely over the speed limit. The car in the front of the line turned left in front of him. Would he be alive if he'd been wearing a helmet? maybe, maybe not but he would have had a much better chance at least.

It's funny the reasons people give for NOT wearing a helmet, on ADV forums there's a thread like this and a guy is actually arguing that not wearing a helmet forces him to go slower and be more careful. Yeah, ok buddy...
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #90
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD977GM2 View Post
I would be dead if I didnt have my helmet on when I was involved in an accident. The driver deliberatly caused me to wreck.

I dont advocate for people to wear helmets...I think it is a personal choice and government doesnt need to tell me what to do.

I do know they are helpful and will prevent you from being dead or a vegetable in 95% of accidents.

My kids know to wear them as does my wife. ATGATT

Deliberately caused you to wreck? That's fucked, any reason why he/she did it?

I'm guilty of not abiding by ATGATT, I wear my sperries and khaki pants when riding to work (but always have jacket gloves and helmet on). Haven't ever been down but it's always a possibilty.

I have (stupidly) a few times taken girls out for rides without a helmet on and given it to her to wear and just gone in sunglasses (I guess it was a case of one "head" thinking it was more important than the other, if ya catch my drift ) it definitely bothered me though. It's way louder and I couldn't stand all the shit hitting me in the face, I don't know how the harley crowd can ride cross country like that. I have since bought a second helmet.

People around here are actually surprised when they see me wearing a helmet, I've gotten a few "good for you for wearing a helmet" type comments recently. It also seems ass backwards that the only helmets I do see are on us young dumb guys on sportbikes and the older "wiser" guys on Harleys almost never have them on
Old 09-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #91
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
safety above all else. you look cooler alive then you do dead
Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #93
This....is my BOOMSTICK!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb609 View Post
Nah, I just like to live on the edge.
Insurance for my 2011 FXDWG costs me $343/year for 250/500K coverage. I wonder how much my bike would cost to insure in your helmet law state. Any bets which is cheaper?
NH has screwed up helmet laws anyway. You don't have to wear a helmet, but you have to have eye protection. Stupid.

No helmet w/cheap-assd sunglasses = legal
Full face helmet with the shatterproof visor open a crack for ventilation = illegal.

In Maine you have to wear one if you're under 18, you have to wear one if you've had your bike license for less than 2 full years. After that it's your call. The idea is that the two years required will get you into the habit, but not sure how well it works. That being said, I always wear full gear. Not a full on track suit, but boots/gloves/jacket/helmet.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #94
mtxsub is on a distinguished road

mtxsub's Tacoma Gallery
A gixxer ride told me he doesnt wear gear cause it weighs him down.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #95
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mx SuperFly 25's Tacoma Gallery
I can honestly say a helmet has saved my life. At the time of the crash I was 23, no kids. Now I am 28 with a 2 year old and another on the way. I am so thankful to still be here, and still be healthy. I was wearing the black/silver helmet when I crashed. I slid on gravel in a corner and laid down my 02' cbr954rr. Broke my femur, got a concussion, bruises. I was wearing icon riding boots, jeans, a leather alpinestars jacket with pads, riding gloves, and that icon helmet. I literlly had 1 drop of blood on my nose from my face shield bending in to my nose, breaking, and cutting my nose. I am so lucky.

RIDE SAFE!!

my femur and pocket knife

my leg piercing, or traction as the doctors call it..

my baby..sold it like that..
Old 01-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #96
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Just chiming in because I can...
I started burying friends due to motorcycle wrecks a LONG damned time ago (70s), and haven't stopped since. Since I've been in Texas, I've now seen two club members to the dirt, one in a half helmet and one without any headgear. It ain't fun. My wife - bless her good heart - tells me to wear a full face one so she can give my mother an open casket funeral. If for no other reason, think of that.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #97
Just a man and his truck
FLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant future

Navy: GSM
Name: JJ
FLtaco24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal311 View Post
So in fl helmets aren't required?
I know it is required if you don't have insurance that covers over 10K. But I remember riding next to someone and he and I passed a cop and cop didn't do anything.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #98
Just a man and his truck
FLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant future

Navy: GSM
Name: JJ
FLtaco24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
You can go ahead and 'live free or die', me...I'm wearing my helmet.
I'm the same way, I honestly don't care if you or anyone rides without their helmet.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #99
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Gear at all times.
Too hot for gear? Too hot to ride.
You can't really ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Beyond 25mph wind gets behind glasses ans starts to make your eyes tear.
These squuids are to blame for such high Douchery and high insurance rates.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #100
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
kind of a little bit off the helmet topic but a good commercial that shows the dangers of street riding.
i personally would never ride without my helmet, jacket, gloves and at least jeans, and really don't understand why anyone would not want to wear a helmet, but it's their choice.

http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/mo...ness_obstacles