Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Please wear a helmet

Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Please wear a helmet

Yeah yeah I know this subject is going to bring on the haters but its worth it. This year alone I have had to mop up 5 dead bikers. None were wearing helmets. Only 1 of those would have died no matter what because his head hit a tree and exploded. All of the others died needlessly from head trauma that would have been prevented by a helmet.

Keep your anti-helmet statistics to yourself because anyone can manipulate any stats. I am here to tell you I have witnessed the carnage and a helmet is the best safety device you can ever buy.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
I absolutely hate when i go down to jacksonville and youhave idiots on r1s weaving im and out of cars on i95 doing 90mph with no helmet. Its like even if they hit me im still gonna have feeling in my head it was my fault they died because their being fucking stupid tryomv to show off for girls by not wearing a helmet.

$300, buy one
Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
I just had a friend die from a head injury that would have not happened if he had been wearing a helmet. He hit his head, really didn't seem bad, was awake for about 2 hours after wreck, then went into a coma and never woke back up. They do save life's!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Couldn't agree more. Dress for the crash, not the ride/destination/image.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Many fallen brothers without helmets, I always wear a DOT/SNELL full face helmet, don't matter if I'm going 1 mile down the road or not.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Many fallen brothers without helmets, I always wear a DOT/SNELL full face helmet, don't matter if I'm going 1 mile down the road or not.
Yea, me too. A little piece of mind goes a long way. Heard a stat (on the interwebz, so ) that most head injuries occur on the chin area.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I live on the border between a helmet state and non-helmet state. I see people pull over to take their helmets off and it just makes no sense to me at all. Riding is dangerous enough as it is, why increase the risk?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Especially without a helmet ^!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
This is another good point... those stupid skull caps ARE NOT HELMETS. Anyone who has the argument that it's better than nothing couldn't be more wrong. They do almost nothing to protect you in a fall. DOT helmets are designed to absorb the initial impact to help keep your noodle safe.

Also, make sure you have a good quality helmet that's in good condition. If you've ever dropped the helmet over 3', you've more than likely compromised the helmet. Your helmet should be swapped out every 3 years at minimum, more often if you ride a lot.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now. This is an issue that is close to home, my uncle died because of this. He had a skull cap on and layed the bike down because a moose ran out in front of him. His body hardly had a scratch on it (he was only wearing a leather vest and jeans as riding equipment and still had no road rash that would have needed to be treated) but he hit his head when he went down and died from brain swelling. All your gear, all the time!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
And don't get a POS half face helmet either, those don't seem to do much. There is absolutely no reason not to get a nice full face helmet, I wear one even on my 2 mile commute to work.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Yea, me too. A little piece of mind goes a long way. Heard a stat (on the interwebz, so ) that most head injuries occur on the chin area.
When you get hit or fall, if you have your mouth open, the impact from your jaw slamming shut can actually cause a concussion. That's why fighters wear a mouth guard. It's not only to protect your teeth but to stop that force from your jaw slamming shut and literally knocking you out.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
Pick your poison
okie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
okie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Dress for the crash, not the ride

I say this often as I have to repeat my self when asked "arent you hot in that?"

Blows my mind how one can ride without a helmet, yea its a choice I know, but still, damn.

And those half helmets...pffft. What good is a protected skull if you face is ripped off from it?

You can find full faced DOT/SNELL helmets all day long online for $100 & up.

Thread should be a sticky in this sub forum.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
One of the guys at work never used to wear his helmet. One day, he did... must have had a premonition or something. Some idiot turned in front of him. Hit the car and went airborne. The helmet saved his life and he ALWAYS wears his helmet now.

I used to always wear mine... Didn't feel "comfortable" without it
Old 04-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I never get on my bike or quad without my helmet, I'd have been dead years ago without it. I actually cracked a helmet in a crash once.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
pigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pigger's Tacoma Gallery
Helmets have saved my life twice so far; 2 accidents 35 years apart.

AGATT for me.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Since I have been riding (14 years) I have personally buried 8 of my friends.

5 of them would be alive today if they had their helmets on.

If you don't have a helmet and you are riding a motorcycle you get no respect from me.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
Internet Winner
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
I think if people decide not to take the necessary precautions with the activities they partake in, health insurance should exclude from covering them if injuries result. I would rather have higher rates for people who are uninsured than morons who choose to do stupid things.

For the most part, I don't feel bad when people come in all banged up from not wearing proper gear on a ride.

I even tell cyclist to get a helmet when I pass them in my bike.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Here in Az its not a law to wear a helmet as well. Figured I point that out.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
Why stop at helmets. Wear full gear. I don't mean full leather race suits either. That's a different subject matter. I see riders with little gear or full on race suit. Which is beyond me. I'm talking about proper gear. Like riding boots and not tennis shoes. Riding gloves, textile jackets and textile pants. Or if you wanna wear casual clothes like I do. I recommend under armor. My clothes are one size higher because I usually wear under armor. I've had to dump my bike because of a stupid tourist crossing into my lane on a blind s turn. Armor saved my ass.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #20
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND View Post
Why stop at helmets. Wear full gear. I don't mean full leather race suits either. That's a different subject matter. I see riders with little gear or full on race suit. Which is beyond me. I'm talking about proper gear. Like riding boots and not tennis shoes. Riding gloves, textile jackets and textile pants. Or if you wanna wear casual clothes like I do. I recommend under armor. My clothes are one size higher because I usually wear under armor. I've had to dump my bike because of a stupid tourist crossing into my lane on a blind s turn. Armor saved my ass.
i wear helmet(obviously) gloves, jacket, regular jeans (until i can get some motorcycle jeans that have the armor built in) and its impossible for me to find a pair of over ankle shoes that i like and feel comfortable on a bike. i can not stand boots at all, i hate shifting with them, so for now i just wear my sneakers, if i go down im sure i will regret it, but until i can find of good shoes gotta work with what i got