Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Selling my dirt bike, First full size sport bike opinouns?

View Poll Results: Which bike?
600cc Super sport bike (CBR,GSXR,ZX6R,R6) 15 68.18%
Yamaha FZ8 800cc 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
chaos316 is on a distinguished road
Name: JJ
chaos316's Tacoma Gallery
Selling my dirt bike, First full size sport bike opinouns?

Hopefully selling my dirtbike tomorrow (2009 Kawasaki KX250F) because I just dont have enough time to hit the track. Ive been on bikes since I was about ten. Ive had several smaller street legal bikes (CB125, CB450, Rebel, Ruckus). Im just looking to get something a bit faster this time. Regular 600 cc sport bikes such as a cbr600rr, gsxr, zx6r have always seemed fun to me. But recently saw the FZ8. Just wondering if what you guys think I should go with.
09 KX250F

Yamaha FZ8
Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
Foward momentum
tx novice is on a distinguished road

Name: Ron
tx novice's Tacoma Gallery
Depends what kind of riding you plan on. The FZ8 is a very stylish Standard bike , while the sportbikes will make you speed. They feel better the harder you ride them. Either way take the safety course . It'll be the best investment towards riding , especially on the street. Ps. Might wanna put a muffler on that FZ8. Lol
Old 04-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
Faster option would be the 600. The FZ8 would be more for street riding.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Never heard much about that fz8 but its one sexy motorcycle. My buddy has an 07 kx250f, pretty fun bike. I ride a ktm. I would make it a dual sport in a heartbeat if it wasn't a two stoke. I have been looking into something like an r6 or cbr600, now I'm gonna be looking into that fz8....
Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Or you can pick one of the cb500 series. Lol
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx novice View Post
Depends what kind of riding you plan on. The FZ8 is a very stylish Standard bike , while the sportbikes will make you speed. They feel better the harder you ride them. Either way take the safety course . It'll be the best investment towards riding , especially on the street. Ps. Might wanna put a muffler on that FZ8. Lol
Thanks! Lol that not the exact bike I was planning on getting, just found it on google. Mine will have a muffler lol!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnphoto View Post
get a supermoto... best choice hands down. ittl keep you out of trouble (at least the high speed kind over 120) and they are a blast, also easier to get out of sticky situations
I've actually thought of getting one. I was close to picking up a Wr250x
Old 04-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND View Post
Or you can pick one of the cb500 series. Lol
I've considered those, I just don't think they'll be enough power
Old 04-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
bump
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
shawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
shawnphoto's Tacoma Gallery
500cc isnt bad but it wont be the same as 600, 600's get old eventually too cause theyre so high revving, r1's are sweet but at that point your going so fast you lose all room for error. i got hit head on by a tacoma work truck cause the guy was texting and driving, came mobbing into my lane on a tight 15mph corner, and hit me more than 3/4 of the way over on the right on my lane, completely his fault. i guess what i'm trying to say is even if your doing everything right, like i was, shit happens cause people are fucking dumb. i should have lost my leg, spent over 14 hours in surgery reconstructing my femur (shattered in 15 pieces, 1 titanium rod top to bottom, 3 screws) and my knee (completely tore acl, pcl, plc, meniscus, etc), all cause some guy decided to be a dumbass. i pulled out of my lean and pinned it, almost made it out but his left side of the grill/headlight/bumper smacked my left leg and body, i flew over 20 feet.
so multiply that (we were each going about 25-30) into the speeds youll soon feel comfortable cruising at on a 600 (usually 100+, ive always felt 600's and 1ks get more solid the faster you go, especially in twisties), and think of what happens.
plus the only way to have fun on a street bike is going fast or leaning over, both of which will get you into trouble. supermotos and dual sports let you braap around, up curbs, offroad, through tight spaces, pull up wheelies/stoppies like nothing and its way easier on the bike. get at least a 400, probably not a 450 cause of the maintenance intervals. you'll have a lot more fun that way and be a lot safer as well, imho.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND View Post
Faster option would be the 600. The FZ8 would be more for street riding.
This. I'd like a FZ8 as my daily rider. We have a 600F4i, 900RR, they are good to ride for about 2-3 hours max.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Christian Off Road Engineering
C O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clint
C O R E's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry don't have a smaller pic but here's my former love. Honda CBR600RR Phoenix edition. I had never previously had any riding experience this truly was my first bike ever. I call BS on the claims that a sportbike makes you do stupid things. Ride within your means and you could be just fine on a Busa even. A girl I know who was about 5' tall and 100lbs MAYBE started riding on a Busa and didnt have any riding experience prior to that. I'm not saying everyone is qualified to start on a sportbike, I'm saying those who exercise good judgment and are willing to maintain riding discipline are.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Tard, most fun bike I've ever owned. Not fastest, but most fun. Mines the Zuk with Hot Cams, big-bore, flat slide carb, full Ti Yoshi exhaust. My brother just converted his 2013 KTM EXC350-F.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
I've said this a million times, but if it saves one kid from getting hurt I will keep saying it. A 600cc R bike is not a beginner streetbike. Listen to why: The HP that they make is equivalent to what real race bikes were making several years ago. But it isn't just the power, its how they deliver it- all on the top end. What that means for your average street rider is that they have to wind the bike up to get the engine to make power. On any modern 600R bike that means you are breaking the speed limit in any gear but first, and gears 3-6 are going to be felony territory.

I highly recommend the Suzuki SV650, great handling, inexpensive, good flat power band. It is a bike that inspires confidence and will help you become a great street rider, without the temptation to wick the throttle into felony and/or death territory. I am not familiar with the FZ-8, but it looks liek the same concept.

Many people willl come on here and say they started on a 600 R bike and they were fine and became great riders. I don't doubt that, but that does not mean it is ideal to start on one.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
Rt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
Rt1Box92A's Tacoma Gallery
Had the FZ1 until last year, and didnt like it for long.

The FZ1 (1000cc) was Yamaha's answer to what goes between the FJ sport touring and the R1 race-rocket.

Looks like the FZ8 is the 'street fighter' version (w/o upper fairing and slightly small cc's.)

For me, the bars were too low for any distance riding, as all of my upper body weight was leaning forward (wrist pain). And then, the bars were too high for trying to tuck in low and play in the twisty-turn's...

If you just want the look of the 'street fighter' go with the advice above and try a Suzuki SV650 (be aware that as a V-twin, it is very torque heavy)... they are cheap to buy, and easy to trade out of when you decide to change.

As for the 600cc bikes listed, any of them will do more than the average rider can handle. Buy lots of leather, and be safe...
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i know many people who have started on 600s and are still alive. that said, i'm with others above who posted about the sv650. it was my first bike and i still regret selling it. as an all-around bike, it was awesome. the v-twin torque made it very entertaining on the street (read: usable power down low in the rpm range). i have since sold that bike and have had a gsxr 600 and now ride on a track-only gsxr 750. sportbikes are fantastic on the track, but on the street, i'd rather something like a motard or an sv650.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
I have been looking into the FZ8 for some time. Awesome bike. The main selling point for me, you sit up a little bit more on the FZ8, so for guys like me with back problems, this is nice.

The FZ8 and FZ1 don't have fairings, if you want them then you can get an FZ8r. You can get an new FZ8 out the door for under $9k and sometimes even under $8k (from what I am seeing on the fz8 forum. The front suspension is not adjustable on the FZ8, but is on the FZ1 (not worth the $2k difference).
Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
hickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
hickorylarge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
i know many people who have started on 600s and are still alive. that said, i'm with others above who posted about the sv650. it was my first bike and i still regret selling it. as an all-around bike, it was awesome. the v-twin torque made it very entertaining on the street (read: usable power down low in the rpm range). i have since sold that bike and have had a gsxr 600 and now ride on a track-only gsxr 750. sportbikes are fantastic on the track, but on the street, i'd rather something like a motard or an sv650.
This. I always felt that twin cylinder bikes are the best choice for the street. Nice low end power. They are never going to have a 200 mph top speed like a 4 cyl, but I think most of us could do without that anyway
Old 04-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
Defend Hawaii

First bike I owned was a 600. I still own it.

I agree with everyone against starting on a 600. Sure you can be level headed and be fine. But there are minute details to learn. Such as dragging your foot while the bike is moving. It's normal to do it on dirt bikes. But street bikes are different. Luckily I grew up with motorcycles and learned from them. I always have proper riding gear. Even when my friends make fun of me.