Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

1988 Cr 125 Question

Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
cpritty is on a distinguished road
cpritty's Tacoma Gallery
1988 Cr 125 Question

If anyone has any advice on this please reply!

I have a 1988 cr125, my back rim is cracked and I want to repair it myself. I'm a young guy and have been to many places and they keep telling me mixed opinions on what I can and can't do with regards to which rims i can use. The original stock size was a 1.85 x 18, and the current rim on it says its a 18 x 2.15. When I wen to honda they told me I cannot put another rim on and have to buy it through them for a very high price. If anyone has any idea on what I can do for replacing the rim on this bike and spokes, and if I can just buy another rim that is the same size and put it on with a spoke set for it. If anyone has any advice please feel free to share!

Thanks for your time
Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
RiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutRiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
RiverBoyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
By any brand you chose, make sure the axle size is the same and same size as stock. Don't buy through dealer they price gouge.

Try any other like rockymountainMC or any other bike mag
Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
cpritty's Tacoma Gallery
when you say same as the axle size what do you mean by that? Just match the rim I by to the size markings on the broken one now?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Eh?
Dibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Dibblit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpritty View Post
when you say same as the axle size what do you mean by that? Just match the rim I by to the size markings on the broken one now?
The bolt that holds your wheel/ hub assembly to your swing arm is considered the axle. Get a pre assembled wheel/ hub assembly (aftermarket is more cost effective) just make sure the axle bolt Outside diameter is the same as your hub bearing inner diameter. Or if you know someone than can spoke a wheel, get just the wheel with new spokes and re use your current hub and axle. And just match your rim diameter and width to what you have now.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
cpritty's Tacoma Gallery
sorry i was just a little confused but thanks for explaining I understand what your saying now. I was planning on using the current hub I have and just re-spoking and getting a new rim. Just honda told me I couldn't because the rims are cut specially and it wouldn't match up. So I just have to go find a match to current rim diameter & width I have now basically? and then get a spoke set for that rim and assemble it on my current hub?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
RiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutRiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Dealers are notorious for saying stuff won't work, as for lacing a wheel it takes time skill and effort. Don't go making every spoke tight. I do every third spoke in a giant rotation around the wheel.....if you have never done it best not to attempt unless under supervision.

I've laced and unlaced many a wheel. The first one took 4 days and umpteen attempts for true
Old 04-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Eh?
Dibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dibblit's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
CINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cindy
CINER's Tacoma Gallery
You can get an Excel hoop and lace it yourself with stock spokes.....Excel should know what will fit on that and what size........and you can get it in any pretty anodized color you want....
Old 04-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
cpritty's Tacoma Gallery
I have a friend who's dads going to help me with the lacing of the wheel, I just needed to know if i could buy a rim that matched to the one I had didn't have to specially order "a specifically sized rim" like honda told me.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
cpritty's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a lot guys, I'm new into biking and trying to slowly learn as much as I can. All the help is much appreciated.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #11

I gotta ask did you sign up to ask about a rim??

Either way good luck on the lacing it's a bitch that first time!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Eh?

Dibblit's Tacoma Gallery
Thumper talk is a good forum to check out for dirt biking info.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
cpritty's Tacoma Gallery
yea i did, I've been riding it for a year now with it cracked and i came down off a jump and it pretty much went straight thru so time for a new one.. And I'm trying to find the least pricey option since I'm in school still