Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Passed the BRC, now time for a bike!

Old 05-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
bmka87 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
Passed the BRC, now time for a bike!

I passed the BRC this past weekend, and now am in search for a great first time bike. I've never ridden before the course (dirt-bikes included). I've gotten some very different opinions on what to look for in a first bike. I was thinking mostly a traditional stance (similar to the honda nighthawk stance). Where the footpegs are mostly centered. What are some thoughts on what to look for or to even think of when searching through different styles of bikes?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
congrats! i just passed this weekend to, ive had my bike for about 6 months though and riding illegally, the class was well worth the money.

i to rode a nighthawk 250 during the test, same CC as my bike, and i just hated the nighthawk haha. it just wasnt comfortable to me, maybe a honda rebel you will like?
i have a ninja 250
Old 05-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
I second the ninja 250, I had one and I liked it
Old 05-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Kenyon is on a distinguished road
Name: Jesse
Kenyon's Tacoma Gallery
My first was a GS500f. Great beginner bike IMO. Put 8k the first year
Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, I know a buddy of mine started on a busa. Everyone always says that it's a terrible first bike but I disagree, if you can behave yourself and drive responsibly it would be fine. For opinions on a first bike, I'd suggest a CBR600RR or a GSXR600. The Kawa's don't look like my style and the Yama's seem to be more expensive.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmka87 View Post
I passed the BRC this past weekend, and now am in search for a great first time bike. I've never ridden before the course (dirt-bikes included). I've gotten some very different opinions on what to look for in a first bike. I was thinking mostly a traditional stance (similar to the honda nighthawk stance). Where the footpegs are mostly centered. What are some thoughts on what to look for or to even think of when searching through different styles of bikes?
First congrats.
You will get as many suggestions as there are bikes.
Big bike
Small bike.
Crotch rocket
Traditional.
You need to be comfortable.
I taught my son on a big traditional bike.
Longer wheel base
Slower reaction (ie not as touchy to inputs)
Myself I see better in my peripheral sitting In a more upright position.
Get some experience and then take lessons riding with others.
Have fun.
Ride safe and DON'T trust stop signs.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
hyabusa?
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
I went with something old and underpowered for my first bike. A 1986 Suzuki Intruder.
Bought it, rode it for a year and a half, then sold it for the same price I paid because it was at its lowest possible value for a running bike. Didn't worry about dropping it (slow speed stupid drop like a parking lot or missed kick stand) because it wasn't worth a lot, it wasn't fast or responsive enough to get me into trouble and it was fun!

I have to disagree with the comment about a big bike being fine if you are responsible. Responsibility has nothing to do with it when you freak out the first time someone cuts you off and you grab a bunch of over sensitive front brake throwing you over the handlebars. Or when you accidently, due to inexperience, roll on the throttle too much because you hit a pot hole then end up in the ditch.

The only thing that can prepare you for unexpected situations on a bike is to ride and experience those situations. On a bigger, faster, more responsive bike like a hayabusa (or any sport bike, 600s included) when you react without experience to guide you, it can end badly.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
whys the rum gone
snowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
snowtank's Tacoma Gallery
Like what large said... i started on a kawi zx10r. I think it worked well for me. I was able to drive it fine able to be somewhat good on it. As in i didnt speed to much. Haha but i would say avoid the 250's in no time you will be wanting a bigger motor. Atleast start with a 500-600cc. But look into the style of bike you eant and the kind of riding you want to do(crotch rocket, tradional, harley etc) and the kind of girls you want to attract haha cant forget that part. And of course be ready for the onslaught of women that will want a ride. But for sure think about the bike you will want in the future. Cause it sucks having a bike for 6 months then you want something bigger and better. And dind one your comfortable on thats the biggest part. You cant ride to your highest level if your always uncomfortable and it could lead to a bad decision in a critical moment. And btw congrats on passing the test!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #11

bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input! I was leaning more towards a traditional ride, or something along the lines of a shadow, rebel, or intruder style. I forgot to mention I'm a big guy, 6'1" and 280lbs. I had the nighthawk 250 for most of my course (died just before the test) and I really enjoyed it. I've heard to go to a motorsports shop and just sit on a bunch of bikes to see what feels good.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #12
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=bmka87;6918485]Thanks for the input! I was leaning more towards a traditional ride, or something along the lines of a shadow, rebel, or intruder style. I forgot to mention I'm a big guy, 6'1" and 280lbs. I had the nighthawk 250 for most of my course (died just before the test) and I really enjoyed it. I've heard to go to a motorsports shop and just sit on a bunch of bikes to see what feels good.[/QUOTE]

best advise yet
thats the way to go and i would step it up from a 250 and see how you feel on something bigger......
most people sell their first bike after the first year and upgrade to something they like better so keep that in mind.....
good luck and safe ridding
i just passed my brc a few weeks ago as well
wooot
by the way what do they charge in your states for the brc. here in ny $350:
Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #13

bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
It was a private company I went through in Maine and was $325 + $25 fee...so the same $350. I know that NH is a lot cheaper, it's put on by the State for around $100.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #14
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
I took my brc through the DMV here in ga it was 250

Pricey but worth it. Though Harley it was almost 400
Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
It's put on by the government and its $450 here but when you pass you have your licence. The $450 includes all the DMV fees and stuff which is probably $100+ on its own.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
old school
5280 is on a distinguished road

5280's Tacoma Gallery
Check out a Bonneville. It is comfortable and has enough hp to get you out of trouble and you'll still enjoy it as your skills improve.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmka87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
Check out a Bonneville. It is comfortable and has enough hp to get you out of trouble and you'll still enjoy it as your skills improve.
I'd second this, look at a bonnie first, it sounds like it would match exactly with what you want. I don't know when they started but I know the newer ones at least are EFI instead of carbs, which makes maintenance a bit easier.

A late 90's nighthawk is also a good bike, very common so parts are widely available.