Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

78 CX 500 1 Month Build

Old 05-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
79 CX 500 Graphite Build Updated 8/10

OK guys. I finally got a good candidate for a motorcycle build. I found a 1978 CX 500 Standard. I picked it up for $250. Not sure if it runs yet. The battery needs charged or just replaced and the fuel tank needs cleaned out. That will be enough to see if it fires up. I plan on making it a monoshock rear end and making the paint very nice. I think I'm going with a Gunmetal with black accents theme. It will get all the small stuff like tires, fluids, front brakes, clutch cable, and some wiring clean up. It should move along quickly though. I am going to try and have this done inside 30 days. It may take a little longer though since I'm out of town for a week in June. Since I have access to hydrographics I might stick some half naked zombie chicks on the fenders or something. They blend in well with a dark graphite or gunmetal color. The front fender is going to get chopped down too. I'm sure there will be changes in the plan along the way.

Here are a few pictures of what happened to day after I picked it up this morning:

Suggestions are welcome!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Check this one out that a local guy built out. Same bike!
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mot...ter-build.html
Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yea I have seen that one. I'm going for a more finished look haha. He did do a nice functional job. His seat looks really high too. I'm already 6'1" and long arms. I don't need to be up any higher. The hardest part is going to be finding a nice clean place for all the electrical.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
A little update today. Got a few more hours of body work on the tank done. I filled in where the "Honda" badges used to be. I'm going to use a template I found to paint "Honda" on the sides of the tank with an old Norton font. The front wheel assembly came off. Then I came home and decided I was going to go on an ordering frenzy. I ordered an 8 cell Ballistic battery, clutch cable, front brake pads, pod air filters, rear mono shock from a 2008 CBR 600, black drag bars, and a fuse block cover. I hope my ballistic lasts longer than the other build going on here. I'll be pissed if it melts ha.
The exhaust is getting a price on monday for a MAC 2 into 1 setup in black. Next week after a pay mix up from the VA is fixed I'm going to order up some tires.
Sorry no pictures today.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
OK. So i spent about 4 hours at the shop this morning working on the bike. I got the tank straight, finally. I started to prep some other parts for primer and paint. Some metal parts need to be blasted still.

Tank before much sanding happened.

Some of the parts getting prepped for primer:

Extra stuff that will not be used:

Started to think about a way to make a rear hugger:

Then I remembered that I had an old R6 front fender that will make a great rear hugger after some massaging and fiberglass:

Got a few things to blast tomorrow before stuff goes to the powder next week.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Just found your thread here. When you get the mechanical parts of your build you should go to the chopper charles site if you have any questions, the guys there know anything and everything there is to know about the cx/gl line of hondas:
http://cx500forum.com/

I've got one and love it, I didn't do much customizing other than paint and kinda went with a commuter theme. I have 2 seats right now and don't know which I'm going to stick with, whatever ends up being the most comfortable.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Yea I am on chopper charles as well. I have the build thread there too.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
I have gotten about another 15-20 hours into the bike since my last post. School and vacation(house hunting) have really taken my time away from what I wanted to do. I'm pretty sure the 30 day mark is done. I'm about half way done maybe. There has been a lot of wasted time waiting on parts. People need to get their shipping departments together.

Powder Coated parts:

New tires on the wheels too:

Rough Fiberglass work:

New Ballistic 8 Cell Battery. It is much smaller and lighter than the original:

Little battery box:

Cut the back half off the frame:

Stuff in primer. Still needs some sanding and filler in small places:

The R6 front fender that I made into a rear hugger:

Monoshock mounted up and welded tabs:

Capped the frame where it was cut off:

Still have some filler in places, finish weld some small stuff, paint is on the way, waiting on some other parts, frame needs cleaned up and painted quick also.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
I dipped a few things for the bike. I did it in some CF. I did not want to go overboard with it though.

I am still waiting for some steel to come in so I can bend up the rear seat structure.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
I got some painting on the bike done today. There is still some small paint work that needs done but it will be with some Transtar Satin Black out of a spray can.

I got the font from another thread on here. Thanks for that. It came out great. I had my vinyl guy cut out some stencil vinyl so that I could paint on the "Honda" before it was cleared.

I left the face of the gauge panel in CF. The bottom area and the trim is painted the Cyber Grey Metallic.

Rear Hugger (made from an R6 front fender):

The tank came out pretty awesome. The Honda logo looks excellent.

I love how the color turned out. I think the satin black accents will do nicely against this primary paint color. All of these pictures were taken just a few minutes after spraying the clear. There wasn't any flow time really. I'm sure they will be a little smoother when I go back to the shop tomorrow. Plus, they are going to be sanded and buffed anyway.

Close up of the color:
Old 08-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
How/what did you do to get that carbon fiber?? Looks wicked!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
How/what did you do to get that carbon fiber?? Looks wicked!

That is what I do for a living. It is called water transfer printing. It can be applied to anything that can be painted and submerged into water for a short time. Click the logo in my sig to see our website.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent work so far! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
If I ever get a chance to finish it. The house and shop move has more than monopolized my life for the time being.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
I guess I had some more pictures that I had not posted yet. There has been a little more done to it than this now too.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw this. Laughed at the title after seeing your post dates,
Old 08-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
Yea blew the 30 day mark out of the water haha. So much stuff got in the way of finishing this thing. I need to have a mod change the title to 30 month build.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #19
MiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MiniBike's Tacoma Gallery
Just keep it coming. As a former CX500 owner, I'm impressed and intrigued by what you're doing.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:18 AM   #20
I am still working on this thing. Unfortunately, customers pay better than I do myself so I have stayed very busy doing their stuff haha. I am hoping to get some stuff done on it soon though. After vacation for the 4th I am going to at least finish up the frame and get the engine back in and wired.