Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Need a bike.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #41
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
I looked at an R6, $340 a year with USAA
Old 06-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #42
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoids View Post
you really shouldn't be trying to push ANY bike to it's limits on the street, get a track bike and do track days to get your speed out, then your street riding will be casual.
I think you completely missed the entire point I was trying to make...
Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #43
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
I looked at an R6, $340 a year with USAA
Maybe it's Yamahas? I've never owned a Yama bike, only Honda and Suzukis, I don't think it would have been much of a difference though.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #44
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Maybe it's Yamahas? I've never owned a Yama bike, only Honda and Suzukis, I don't think it would have been much of a difference though.
I looked at only min coverage. with comprehensive it was about $800
Old 06-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #45
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing to think about, you said you want just the bare minimum coverage. What happens if/when you do get in an accident? Do you have another type of insurance that will cover you? A guy I know collided with a deer a few months ago out of state and is just now able to return home, his bills are now several hundred thousand and he didn't have medical insurance. Just something to think about...
Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #46
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I think you completely missed the entire point I was trying to make...
do you?

he has experience, why buy a bike that he doesn't really like to just want something different 3 months later?

really, his best option would be to buy a piece of junk that he can beat on and not be afraid to drop and then when he feels comfortable, move up to the bike he wants.

i personally started on a nice 600cc sport bike and was fine, that's just my experience. i have read about and seen a lot of people that weren't fine.

i would rather give positive riding advice and wish him luck then try to preach and tell him he's wrong when he is going to buy whatever he wants anyway.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #47
00PowderSpecial is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
00PowderSpecial's Tacoma Gallery
I had a first gen R6 and while it was my first bike, it also go me in the most trouble quickly. I had lots of voltage regulator/rectifier problems with that bike too, wasted a lot of money on it! But I would rather drive a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow any day of the week! My most fun bike was a 05 KTM 625 SMC supermoto, was an awesome everything bike!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #48
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoids View Post
do you?

he has experience, why buy a bike that he doesn't really like to just want something different 3 months later?

really, his best option would be to buy a piece of junk that he can beat on and not be afraid to drop and then when he feels comfortable, move up to the bike he wants.

i personally started on a nice 600cc sport bike and was fine, that's just my experience. i have read about and seen a lot of people that weren't fine.

i would rather give positive riding advice and wish him luck then try to preach and tell him he's wrong when he is going to buy whatever he wants anyway.
I wasn't preaching to him, he started a thread asking for advice so, right, wrong or indifferent, I put in my $0.02. When I responded, I was under the impression that he was just considering an R6 and hadn't purchased one yet. Dirt bike experience or not, I wouldn't suggest that bike to a new road rider for the reasons I mentioned. I don't think there's anything wrong with sport bikes, I own one. As a sport bike owner, I believe they are too smooth for their own good. You never feel the speed and, even if you aren't intending to speed, you will often find yourself going faster than you think you are simply because that's what they're designed to do and they do it well.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #49

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00PowderSpecial View Post
I had a first gen R6 and while it was my first bike, it also go me in the most trouble quickly. I had lots of voltage regulator/rectifier problems with that bike too, wasted a lot of money on it! But I would rather drive a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow any day of the week! My most fun bike was a 05 KTM 625 SMC supermoto, was an awesome everything bike!
That's exactly what I was getting at!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #50
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
SV650...plenty of power, fairly user friendly and unless you really won't out-ride one. Any motorcycle can bite you, SV's operated at a reasonable level of sanity are puppy dog friendly and easy to maintain. Another plus is that they make great track-bikes should you want to actually learn to handle a motorcycle at the limits of your skill-set.

Jumping onto a R6, CBR, ZX, Gixxer for a first bike could give you some frustrations like stalling in traffic due to high first gear ratios. Honda's bodywork isn't very user friendly maintenance wise and if/when you dump a fully faired sportbike, getting it back into shape can get costly unless your good at fiberglass repair and painting or have large stickers/purple gorilla hair carpet to cover the bike in.

The FZ6 is kind of a high strung motor and confused chassis, IMHO. For a commuter style bike they really like to be revved to make power.

250's and 500's: The 250's can get flighty at speed and have you all over the road and bored with quickly, depending on your type of riding. The 500's-antiquated technology if you want a sportbike styled motorcycle and can get vibey on long rides.

My money would be a SV650 for a starter...you won't outgrow it quickly and mods are easy to do.

Don't let your ego get in the way when dealing with a motorcycle.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #51
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
I completely agree about the SV650 - the power is very manageable and while you can get in trouble on these in a hurry, you have to be already at the limit of your comfort zone. I just sold my DR650 not too long ago and headed down to pick up my old 2001 SV650; haven't rode it in a couple years (was letting the younger brother learn on it), but I completely forgot how much I did and still do enjoy riding it. It flicks very easy into the corners, and believe it or not, will take an I4 from a dead stop (initially). They have torque at hand and are rather forgiving.

Buy a used one for $3K and learn to become comfortable on the road. If you drop it, you will not sob too much and I doubt you will be outgrowing it anytime soon.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #52
mtxsub is on a distinguished road

mtxsub's Tacoma Gallery
the sv650 is a great price range for me but i like the sporter look. Any options around the same price nothing over 5k
Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #55
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
ninja 300?

lol or this??

haha
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/3858875257.html
Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #56

mtxsub's Tacoma Gallery
not that fzr600 but the stock one i like or the fz6r is cool also. dont want new it will loose value when i drive it off the lot.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #57
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I know your into sportier bikes but why not check out the more street oriented adventure bikes like the vstrom?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #58

mtxsub's Tacoma Gallery
to big for me. i would go for honda 650l their engines are bullet proof.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #59

Ahh ok.

Yea the old xr is a great bike.

Well ill cast my vote for the R6

My fav of the sport bikes.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #60

mtxsub's Tacoma Gallery
i wish i could get the r6 my insurance would be 500+ a year and that liability only.