Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

2012 Suzuki V Strom 650 vs. 2013 Honda CB500X

Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still keeping the eyes out for a XS650 project but that's more dreaming than realistic while I'm in school/work/tiny apartment.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #22
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
maybe you should post your question over on Adventure Rider.

might get some more better input on there than from a bunch of knucklehead truck guys. but be warned, it's a damn cool place and you can waste hours on there.... kinda like here.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #23
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
maybe you should post your question over on Adventure Rider.

might get some more better input on there than from a bunch of knucklehead truck guys. but be warned, it's a damn cool place and you can waste hours on there.... kinda like here.
I'm on ADV already ha definitely a high caliber place I like to snoop around.

I'm pretty set in my mind now. I'm going to get the Honda and Mod as I go Just a matter of finding one in the Midwest to test ride. Winter is a coming too, so do I buy in Fall or Spring . . . it'll add up eventually. Maybe someone will hate theirs and be selling it in the fall for cheap.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #24
CYCLESARGE will become famous soon enoughCYCLESARGE will become famous soon enough
CYCLESARGE's Tacoma Gallery
Is a Kawasaki Versys out of the question? I love mine, smaller and more nimble than the V-Strom, though not as off-road worthy, without being wimpy like the CB500X.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #25

It kind of is. CBX is more nimble and better in the twisters and the Strom is better on highway and off road. It kind of gets cut out. Great bike, just not for me. Thanks for the input though.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #26
CYCLESARGE will become famous soon enoughCYCLESARGE will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
It kind of is. CBX is more nimble and better in the twisters and the Strom is better on highway and off road. It kind of gets cut out. Great bike, just not for me. Thanks for the input though.
Seemed like a good compromise since you're torn between the CBX and the V-Strom. Have you sat on those bikes? I was pretty sure I wanted a V-Strom until I sat on it, it's heavy enough and long enough, even though it's supposed to be more off road worthy than the Versys, I wouldn't want to ride it off road anyway. The CBX feels more like a 250, kinda reminded me of the GS500 I rode, which is fine if that's what you are going for. Simply going by it's weight, I'd think it would do as well off road as the V-Strom, you just wouldn't have the long distance capability of the Strom.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #27

Yeah, I've sat on all three and ridden the Versys. I'm not torn anymore. The X is the perfect fit for what I was looking for. And I'll mod anything that I feel needs changing. I don't keep vehicles stock long. I have a family acquaintance who rode mode of South America and back on a Versys. I just didn't feel it was right for me. The Strom would be great if I was two up and/or on the highway a lot but I will be primarily commuting with occasional highway trips of about 500 miles. Finding a fitting bike is a very personal thing and for my personal needs the X is about as close as it gets to being just right.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
Cool. I look forward to a review. I am kinda looking at those for my wife. I've been riding for 30 years, married for 21, and she just last year got her endorsement. She currently has a 2007 Virago 250, and I think something like the CBX 500 might be a good step for her, maybe I wouldn't have to go so slow for her to be able to keep up.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #29

Here's some owner experience and reviews:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...840842&page=63

and an article:

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/rideapa...-honda-cb500x/

Follow that thread. Seems to be great reviews and a guy on there lowered one a ton for his wife. Something like 1.5" in the rear and 2+ in the front so should could reach.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #30

Not bad for a street bike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRdosNccrl8
Old 05-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #31

Revival!

Finally got to sit on an X, but they wouldn't let me test ride it . . . unless I was buying it. Well if I was buying it on the spot I could "test ride" it home couldn't I? ha (And yes, I had pants, helmet and shoes in my girlfriend's car. It's 97 degrees today. I wasn't wearing it all in until I knew my baby was in there ha)

Anyway, I told him I want the ABS model and he said he can order it for me and have it here by next week. I am leaving Lincoln next week, Monday. SO I told him I'll just buy in South Dakota. The guy gave me the worst of the worst salesman pitches. I told him I didn't want the rocket he tried to sell me, I want the CB500X in the back for a daily commuter around town. He instantly sat me down and said Oh I have to show you something you'll just love. If you want to cruise around town I can get you in a Royal Enfield today! What the? Dude obviously wasn't listening and just wanted to make a sale. Was a real dirt bag so I just walked away and tested the bike out myself.

I have to say, on paper, this is the PERFECT bike for me. Yet, when I sat on it and moved it around some I wasn't overly comfortable. I wasn't "uncomfortable" at all, yet it just didn't have that wonderful feeling when you slip onto a bike that just fits so well. STILL awaiting a stinking Test Ride, so time will tell, but that was ever so slightly disheartening of a feeling. We'll see.

Here's some photos:
Dream bikes. by AdelphosChaz, on Flickr

And I got to sit on my dad's dream bike again. Not really for me but that 09 behind it might be what we end up getting him someday instead.

The hunt continues. Riding season is upon us but I'm also leaving the country for almost two months this Summer so we'll see what happens . . .
Old 05-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #32
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
I used to think that not letting you test ride a bike was the norm till I moved to up to seattle and the dealers are more than happy to let you check stuff out and take a demo for a ride. Heck I took a hypermotard out for shits and grins and they said "eh, bring it back in like half an hour". I was floored.

hopefully you can find a cool dealer that will let you have a go.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #33

Thanks, man. Here's to hoping . . .
Old 06-12-2014, 03:22 AM   #34
Banana Nut
TheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheMuffinMan's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked at the BMW 650 GS Sertao? Power is a bit less, gas mileage is amazing. 425ish lbs. Sounds perfect for what you're looking for. Most BMW dealerships are really really good at letting you test ride things.

Don't get talked up into a 700-800 GS.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:37 AM   #35
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
Try an SV650. Feels way smaller than the Strom and they sold a ton of them so they are cheap on the used bike market.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #36
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
This thread sucks, you have me so close to purchasing a CB500X that my wallet is shaking. Man, that is one nice bike, going to test ride one myself soon...
Old 06-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #37
mtxsub is on a distinguished road

mtxsub's Tacoma Gallery
go with the Honda that bike is sweet. That vmax you were on is a rocket that bike can move. The honda is very good on gas and a comfortable bike imop good luck with the purchase.